• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guess Who

Guess Who

title available

• Project Team
  • 969 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The East, Project Siege
  •  2d Artist, Modeller, Skinner, Binder, Basic Coder, Learning Animating, mapping, fx coding.

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:00 AM

well i failed at modelling but skinning i might be better at.
can some people please let me use some of their models.
Posted Image Posted Image
My current projects: Wars of The East, Project Siege
--------------------------------------
99% Fat Free.

#2 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

Sure, i'll just hand you all of my models I am currently using.

If you fail, try try again. I failed for the first year of my modeling career. But that hasn't stopped me. People work hard on their model and most people won't want to give up their hard work yo someone who they might not know what will do with them. Try again at making your own. Really its not that hard.

Now skinning is another thing, by best recxcomendation is to used already exsisting skins for your new models.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#3 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

Skinning's alot easier then modeling. :p

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

I second that! ^

I tried to learn how to model for about 2 weeks, and made this much progress: 0%!!! :p Skinning is WAY easier, hehe. So I understand your desire to ask for donations GW, but a good tip is to start doing something you know or can learn, and when you have some stuff to show you might attract other people that might help you and even donate stuff =) Good luck.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 GothmogtheOrc

GothmogtheOrc

Ruler of the Morgul Vale

• Hosted
  • 2,263 posts
  • Projects:Kings of the West Mod
  •  T3A Chamber Member - Retired

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:40 AM

It took me 2 or 3 years of trying on and off before I really started modelling. My first model was a simple weapon switch and from there I did a little bit more each time. Now, while I still can't model people or creatures from scratch I can model buildings and I can edit people and creatures rather well.

And yes, skinning is sooooo much easier (especially with photoshop, which surprised me). Again, start small with something simple like recoloring an existing unit or hero to make a new one. From there start doing a little bit more on each new skin. I started skinning with the absolute basics about 6 months ago and on my most recent skin I made from scratch the scale mail and leather armor (with alot of help from nertea's tutorials :p).

It just takes alot of practice and starting small. If you stick with it you have a good chance of figuring it out and making better and better stuff. :blink: Also read the tutorials as they really do explain it well... but be sure to read them all as each one covers something better then the others :p

-GothmogtheOrc

Nine%20rings.jpg
Click on my Sig to go to my BFME Modding site where you can download my mods.
KotW%20Morgul%20In-game.jpg
Kings of the West Mod Leader
*Retired. PM me if you need to get a hold of me as I'll get an email notification and should reply within a day or so*

#6 Guess Who

Guess Who

title available

• Project Team
  • 969 posts
  •  2d Artist, Modeller, Skinner, Binder, Basic Coder, Learning Animating, mapping, fx coding.

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:57 AM

ive read the tutorials so many times that ive decided to just use some of nertea's donated models and skins,
coding is the easiest took me 2 weeks to find out how to code anything modelling have been trying for 2 weeks and still i can only do the body, head, legs and feet :blink: the arms are too hard. i made a troll model without arms or hands or weapons.
99% Fat Free.

#7 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:08 PM

Skinning's alot easier then modeling.

not neccesarily. you wouldn't expect it, but they're just 2 very different forms of art. as such, if you're talented in one, you're not necceseraly talented in the other. there are exceptions of course *cough* nertea *
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#8 Herunor

Herunor

Louis

• Project Team
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

Making a good realistic looking skin is so much harder than just do a model (low poly of course). There is not much you can do wrong on a model.
But 2playgames is right with his statement. It's all a question of talent and the wish for success.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides
By the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will,
Shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness,
For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger
Those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.
And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

#9 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

for me I larned to model very fast and easily :blink: but skinning for me took a long time.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#10 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

it can be true though that modeling is a bit harder. this is because skinning involves natural movements (drawing with a brush), but modeling is much more math and complex stuff. it would be easier if you could just play with virtual clay, using some kind of holographic projection :p
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#11 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:56 PM

Like most people have said, Try to learn how to model yourself. Start from editing existing models, Then move on to harder stuff. That is only if you wish to create custom models.
If you do not want to create custom models it is not hard to learn.

There are a few modeling tutorials on the T3A website... And many custom modeling tutorials can be found around the net.

virtual clay, using some kind of holographic projection

Hmm... I think there actually is something like this, Where you use a 3D program, And a Real tool to actualy "Sculpt" the model... Cant remember where i have seen it :/

Edited by FlameGuard, 23 July 2007 - 10:57 PM.

#12 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:17 AM

Or you could buy one of those 3D scanners...

Modeling for the BFME level is, in my opinion, around the same difficulty as skinning. This is talking from scratch. If you're just kitbashing up and building from existing EA stuff it's certainly far easier. However for this poly level skinning takes far longer than modeling. Far far longer.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#13 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

Idd, modelling is very hard (I don't came further than lightsaber crafting for an old SW game) but on the other hand RTS-models are low-poly. I suggest you start practising editing EA's crappy stuff (seriously, Nertea's models are looking way better).

Edited by Allathar, 24 July 2007 - 01:00 PM.

It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#14 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

Modeling and Skinning, Doesnt matter wich one is harder really, Some people are skilled in one area... And some in the other. Same with Animators and Coders etc.

It mainly depends on your "Will" to learn, You have to pratice and pratice. Not try for 2weeks and give up.
Dont post topics like this and ask for other peoples models, It will only get you flamed and hated by some.

Keep reading tutorials and you will get there.

#15 Guess Who

Guess Who

title available

• Project Team
  • 969 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:24 AM

you sure like giving me advice FlameGuard :).
99% Fat Free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users