title available

• Hosted
  • 288 posts
  • Projects:Age Of Men
  •  Age Of Men BosS

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

Ents vs Chariots and ballista

what do you think: maybe replace ents with anything like this Posted Image

Edited by LordIstari, 16 August 2007 - 07:32 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Russian modding, Age of Men Team
AoM Site

#3 gamehuntera

gamehuntera
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

...And add ents to rohan? Maybe. In first part it looked normal. Elfs must only have ents as special power, i think.

#4 Dzhon

Dzhon
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:23 AM

If Ents belong with any faction, I'd say it was the Elves. Elvish siege machines seem out of place, esp. in the late 3rd Age. Ents work good for the Elves as tanks, too.
Posted Image

#5 LordIstari

LordIstari

title available

• Hosted
  • 288 posts
  •  Age Of Men BosS

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:37 AM

ents never WAR for ANY factions ( in films and book) he war only 1 battle (Izengard)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
AoM Site

#6 {IP}jimmyman

{IP}jimmyman

The only was one can understand me is by being me.

• Project Team
  • 644 posts
  • Projects:Mapping for RJ_RotWK
  •  freelance mapper/3d modeler in training

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

yea i agree with lordistari
if your on those lines of thinking u might as well want to make ents their own faction....
Sig by Serated
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image CLICK THE DRAGONS Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Dzhon

Dzhon
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

The Ents only fought because they were forced to, but that's basically true of the Elves and Dwarves too.

If you're going to argue that Ents don't belong to any faction at all, that's fine. But, if they are included than they make sense being part of the Elves rather than Rohan or another faction.
Posted Image

#8 LordIstari

LordIstari

title available

• Hosted
  • 288 posts
  •  Age Of Men BosS

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

maybe creat netrail building - beast lair (or etc )?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
AoM Site

#9 gamehuntera

gamehuntera
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

I don't think it's necessary. I mean that nobody - elfs, rohan or gondor can't buy ents with money. But ressurect as special power - it can be. Also I want to observe that in game can be not realistic things - it's a game, not book. So you should do as you want.

#10 {IP}jimmyman

{IP}jimmyman

• Project Team
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

yea i agree with you there
Sig by Serated
Posted Image CLICK THE DRAGONS Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Dzhon

Dzhon
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

Not too sure about the exact nature of the Ents, but in the movies, at least, Legolas talks about how the Elves woke up the trees and taught them to speak, etc.

Anyway, other than a couple of volunteers (Elrond's sons, Legolas, and Gimli), the Elves and Dwarves only participated in the WotR in self defense. The Ents are the same way. If, for gameplay's sake, Elrond, Celeborn, King Dain, and others venture beyond their borders to fight Sauron, then so can Treebeard.
Posted Image

#12 gamehuntera

gamehuntera
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

Maybe. But in Silmarilion ents created by Javanna.

#13 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 18 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

Were they? I haven't read Silmarillion for a while, so I don't know... And Dzhon, what you said about the Elves and Dwarves isn't exactly true... Lórien was besieged by Gobbo's from the Misty Mountains, and Dale and Erebor attacked by a huge army from Rhûn. After that they besieged Dol Guldur.
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#14 el kevo

el kevo

title available

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • Projects:Staff at Flameguard's "Game Sector Network"

Posted 18 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

lorien was also attacked (3 times i think) by dol goldur. Brand died by easterlings while defending erebor and dain dies defending his friends body. so they both have a pretty big reason to go to war
Posted Image

#15 Dzhon

Dzhon
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:46 AM

Still, that's basically self-defense.

The Lorien Elves didn't really besiege Dol Goldur...they just cleaned it out after the Ring was destroyed. The Easterlings' morale collapsed when they heard of Sauron's fall, which to their being routed by the Dwarves and Men of Dale.

It seems pretty unlikely that the Dwarves or Elves would have sent their forces to Gondor's aid even had they had the option of doing so.

Anyway, back on topic...having Ents as part of the Elven faction seems less strange to me than having Elves build siege machines.
Posted Image

#16 {IP}jimmyman

{IP}jimmyman

• Project Team
  • 644 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

well then answer me this
why do the ships have balistas on them instead of ents?
it would make more sense to carry a smaller woden object instead of a frickin TREE
THANKS YOU GOOD NIGHT
Sig by Serated

#17 gamehuntera

gamehuntera
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:34 AM

Noldor began siege Morgot without ents, don't you think? They used siege machines.

#18 Dzhon

Dzhon
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

Well, whatever floats your boat. If you think all sides should have a ballista or a catapult in their arsenal, knock yourself out. And, you're right, in EA's world the Elves are building siege warships, so they can build siege machines too.

Just don't use the lore to claim that Treebeard wouldn't fight when you're also having the Galadhrim knocking down woods and building siege machines. Maybe they did that sort of thing in ages past but not by the time of the WotR.

At any rate, no need to fix what isn't broken but, given the talent of LordIstari and others working on this mod, I'm sure the Elven Ballista will look good.
Posted Image

#19 kotsos13

kotsos13

The most powerful of the Eldar

• Project Team
  • 155 posts
  • Projects:Tol Eressëa
  •  Tol Eressea Lead 2d Artist

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:10 AM

If you can edit the model of Gondor's Catapult, remove gondorian soldiers from it and add elven warriors instead. Use the same Skeleton.

And Yavanna didn't create the Ents. Ents were some sort of Spirits of the Forests (possibly Maiar), created by Eru Iluvatar because Yavanna told him thath the fauna (Quenya world for trees and flower and anything green) could not protect themselves. And so He made the Gurdians of the Forests.
God does not play dice
"Albert Einstein"

Posted Image

2D Artist

#20 gamehuntera

gamehuntera
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

No. As I understanded, when Aule questioned Yavanna, what sort of trees she want defend, she answered that one can sort defend theirselves (ents), one can't - usual trees. Spirits was only spirits, they had no body, they lived in trees and guarded them. And not all time of Arda - at third age they wasn't there.

Just don't use the lore to claim that Treebeard wouldn't fight when you're also having the Galadhrim knocking down woods and building siege machines. Maybe they did that sort of thing in ages past but not by the time of the WotR.

Maybe. But siege wars versus Sauron was also in third age, when Gil-Galad and Elendil, Isildur, Elrond, Kirdan and others fight in Last Alliance... So there can be siege weapons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users