Modding will be easy on UAW!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:19 AM

Today, I've been browsing the Petroglyph Community Forums and I've spotted something interesting for those who plan to mod Universe At War in a near future. Torpid-PG, designer at Petroglyph, has been answering many modding questions about UAW. As far as I could read, UAW will be a bit easier to mod than EAW and there are some changes such as the XML scripting system being abandoned. Now they only use LUA for scripting and XML for settings. Anyway, here's his words on it:

1:Since EaW has a hero limit will UaW have one too?

Hero limits were always XML maintained as far as I remember from EAW. Heroes in UAW are really just normal units with effects - you can limit them or not at your choice.

2:Will we be restricted on abilities/or creation of abilities for units?

There are very few hard-coded abilities in UAW. This game uses a new effects system that contains a fairly large set of "end results" that you can mix/match and connect to a unit. You have ways to apply the effect (single target, aoe, button activated, always on, etc.) and the target system (self, selfAE, targeted AE, ground targeted, etc.). Once you have the in-game effect you want, you can attach animations or visual particle effects to it to create your own unique special ability.

[/i]3:Will Petroglyph release more in depthed rigging mapping tools upon modding tool release?[/i]

Unknown at this time.

4:What will be including in modding tools other than Map editor and plugin support?

Unknown at this time. Really, the map editor, max plugins and a good text editor are all you need to mod this game.

In a short note: Later in the topic, Torpid considered the possibility of including a Particle Editor (which is a .ALO Viewer as well). Also, the max plugins should support 3ds max 8 or better

5:Are there tech levels involving the replacment of improvement of units?

UAW really doesn't use the concept of 'tech level'. We have a production dependencies system and the research tree, both of which can be used to restrict/structure the production of objects when playing. That's not to say that those two systems couldn't be structured to be a tech level setup if you wanted to.

6:Does UaW support pre-made animations and or is all IK chains?

Both.

7:Does UaW use XML and ULA or something else?

XML for data and LUA for scripting. We abandoned the XML scripting system used for missions in EAW/FOC.

8:Will multiplayer modding be supported?

Not sure. I would guess so, but that's not official smile.gif

9:Is exchange of Mods and maps supported?

That's really up to Sega, but I don't see why not.

10:Will air units be able to land or modded to land?

Yes, using the variant system. Masari air units all land when in dark mode.

Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users