#1 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

I really liked the Faction names in BfMe1. Obviously it's not going to work for BfMe2, because of the new factions. But the cheap naming used by EA just doesn't do justice.
Changing goblins to 'Moria' was great. Now all evil factions use 'place' names for their name tag. And they are names used in Middle-earth, which is fitting.
Now only the good factions need proper names. It seems, they have to be race based, as that is the major distinction of the good factions. So, here is my take on it, with a lot of examples, and my personal choice marked in bold letters.

Men of the West
  • Atani, (Quenya) - "The Second [people]" - Used (by Loremasters) for all men.
  • Edain (Sindarin version) - only applied to the three houses of men that went west to beleriand and helped in the conflict against Morgoth. Ancestors of the Nûmenorians. Technically, the Rohirrim are not part of them, but they share the same ancestors (one of the three houses of men)
  • Dûnedain (Sindarin) - "Men of the West" - only used for the descendents of the Nûmenorian people.
Dwarves
  • Children of Aule (The Vala Aule created them)
  • Gonnhirrim (Sindarin) "Lords of Stones"
  • Khazâd (Khuzdul[dwarvish]) "Dwarves"
  • Naugrim (Sindarin) "The small grown people"
  • Durin's People (Durin the Deathless was/is the #1 Dwarven King of all time)
Elves
  • Quendi, "Those who speak (with voices)'" - all Elves are Quendi, very old name.
  • Eldar or Eldalië, "People of the Stars" - Basically all elves, but primarily used for Vanyar, Noldor and Teleri (Sindar and Nandor, most of Mirkwood and Lorien Folk) and not for the elvish people who refused to go to aman (Avari - "The Unwilling").

What do you think? Any comments or corrections on this? P

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#2 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:09 PM

I'm not one for renaming because people will start up the game and see names that don't make sense. People already have images in their brain attached to Gondor, Mordor, Goblins, etc....So changing them to long names with a bunch ^'s over the letters won't allow poeple to "connect" to the faction, and would cause confusion.
Btw, that whole paragraph was meant for Gondor. Elves and Dwarves need a name change :ninja:

I liked Khazad for the dwarves. Definetly needs to be changed to that. It has a more powerful name about it.

I liked the Eldar (perferably the one with all the little dohickeys) for Elves.

#3 The Best Guest

The Best Guest

Herald of Kane.....

• Division Admins
  • 2,048 posts
  • Projects:Revora, {IP}
  •  Varied
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:PR Admin

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

Khazed
And
Eldar
same as clone for men of the west
mrbar.jpg
SEE-Team_MapEditor.jpg

#4 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:46 PM

Btw, that whole paragraph was meant for Gondor. Elves and Dwarves need a name change :ninja:

Except the faction's name isn't Gondor but Men of the West! :tongevil:
That's why i don't necessarily think it good anymore. We have a Combo Gondor/Rohan faction.

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#5 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

Well, in that case, keep it MotW :ninja: It's fitting. Edain just doesn't sound menish...sounds Elvish.

That's why i don't necessarily think it good anymore. We have a Combo Gondor/Rohan faction.

Huh? Men of the West means all the men of the west, including Rohan and Gondor.

#6 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:53 PM

Technically Rohirrim are NOT Men of the West (Dûnedain), but they are men (Edain).

And men use elvish tongues. At least the men of northwest middle-earth, which includes Gondor and Rohan. The Rohirrim also use a northmen tongue. The simple men use Westron, which is a mix of Sindarin, Adûnaic (the tongue of Nûmenor related to Sindarin) and a smut more.

But the Sindarin tongue is very dominant in names. Check out Denethor II (the first Denethor was an Elda). Only the Rohirrim have northman names, and they are now related by blood to the Kings of Gondor (and the line of stewards) through Vidugavia's daughter, who married a Gondorian prince, which sparked the kin-strife and led Castamir (a Gondorian royal Sea-Lord of pure Nûmenorian ancestry) to form the Corsairs around Ûmbar.

I am rambling. Tolkien equipped ALL his peoples, even the most simple ones, with very elaborate languages. That was his thing. :ninja:

#7 The Best Guest

The Best Guest

Herald of Kane.....

• Division Admins
  • 2,048 posts
  • Projects:Revora, {IP}
  •  Varied
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:PR Admin

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

But men of the west means west of the aduin river
mrbar.jpg
SEE-Team_MapEditor.jpg

#8 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:00 PM

Yah, nice ramble :ninja:

I understand that (if they exsisted) they would call themselves the Edain, but I don't like calling them Edain.

Men of the West aren't just dunedain, but they include ALL men from the west...Aragorn, in his little speech outside the black gates called them MotW, Rohan and Gondor (movie version).

#9 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

That was an allegorical reference to the 'Spirit' of the Dûnedain. 'Men of the West' means in this regard:
'You guys, don't you want to be as brave, as cool and as good as me?! Allright! Then let's go to die almost 100% like my ancestors did in the old days!"

:ninja:

#10 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

What?! :p

#11 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

I'm not really sure about this either.. I kinda like the easy default names in common english, that everyone understands... But we'll see... =p

For starters I think we should decide what the upcoming Evil Men faction would be called :) I like Evil Men too, but I've also heard some nice variants like Corrupted Men or even better Men of the East (even if Harad is South East) :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:24 PM

Men of Darkness would be an option. Tolkien called them so as well (all the Men under the sway of Morgoth and later Sauron).

#13 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:02 PM

MoD huh... not bad. I like that too :p

Even though as far as I know the Easterlings wasnt really "evil", but more corrupted and deceived by Sauron... :)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

#14 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

True. But their ancestors where the ones corrupted by Morgoth and Sauron at the end of the first age. (Chapter 14+ 'of Men', Silmarillion) :)

#15 Harad King

Harad King
  • Project Team
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:53 PM

Erebor Instead of Dwarves
Rivendell Instead of Elves

Edited by Harad King, 08 November 2007 - 09:42 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

Erebor and Rivendell are EXACT origins of dwarves, and there aren't (?) any Rivendell units and Erebor...I don't even know.

I like MoD! :)

#17 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:05 PM

Seeing that the basic elven units are from Lorien, Rivendell is not really fitting. It seems the rest has a really mixed origin.
True, Mordor has also an added human contingent, but the name is still fitting, as all is directed from Bard-dûr.
Erebor is only one (small) dwarven Kingdom. Most live in the Iron Hills, and some in the Blue Mountains near the grey havens.

If it should be Erebor (or Iron Hills) and Rivendell (or Lorien), we should also consider using Gondor, instead of MotW. Where Rohan is a bonus faction, much like Evil Men is for Mordor. Besides, the province of Calenardhon (called Rohan by the Rohirrim) technically belongs to Gondor, given to the Eotheod (Rohirrim) for their services in the battles against the Easterlings.

#18 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Well...Mordor and Evil Men are more fitting under just Mordor, because Sauron technically controlled Harad and whatnot, but Gondor and Rohan never fought together (except the Black Gate), so I don't think renaming a faction to fit one kingdom will fit well.

#19 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

You are wrong. But you just have to reread my last post. :p

#20 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

But that is only a province...So I'm not wrong, I just skipped the last sentence in my reply. :p I was merely mentioning the reasons why renaming the factions to specific regions/origins? would mess things up and cause arguements, such as now.

I have really got to get off the comp! No more caffine for me for quite some time...I didn't know you could get this lightheaded! I fear I'll get in big arguements without realizing it...

See y'all tomorrow! ;p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users