#1 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:27 AM

I've been doing a LOT of work for this release, so forgive me if I don't respond to every post lately. Anyway, here is another quick screenshot of something else I've been working on that will be included in 1.05.03. While it seems that not everyone likes/plays WotR, I for one really enjoy this mode and has a great deal of possibilities and I want to make sure RJ-RotWK can use every area and enhance it as much as I can.

Posted Image

So this topic right now is for comments and suggestions. When 1.05.03 comes out you can post bugs here as well.

What would you like?

- # of Hero Armies that can conquer territories (I'm making the banners for all heroes in game so I can swap out as needed)
- Which heroes should be the Leaders for each faction
- Should CaH be a hero army
- Should inn units carry over from map to map
- Should all units take 1 turn, or should they take more
- When building units, should it build 1 or more battalions
- What other ideas would you like to see implemented?

#2 Spointz2020

Spointz2020
  • Members
  • 153 posts
  • Projects:RJ-Rotwk Beta Tester

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

I've been doing a LOT of work for this release, so forgive me if I don't respond to every post lately. Anyway, here is another quick screenshot of something else I've been working on that will be included in 1.05.03. While it seems that not everyone likes/plays WotR, I for one really enjoy this mode and has a great deal of possibilities and I want to make sure RJ-RotWK can use every area and enhance it as much as I can.

Posted Image

So this topic right now is for comments and suggestions. When 1.05.03 comes out you can post bugs here as well.

What would you like?

- # of Hero Armies that can conquer territories (I'm making the banners for all heroes in game so I can swap out as needed)
- Which heroes should be the Leaders for each faction
- Should CaH be a hero army
- Should inn units carry over from map to map
- Should all units take 1 turn, or should they take more
- When building units, should it build 1 or more battalions
- What other ideas would you like to see implemented?

well considering the great reduction in batallion sizes, perhaps we could use like 2 or 3 batallions being produced every time... (to be honest im not entirely familiar with the rules that you've bent in WotR so far so forgive me if im totally off on some stuff) Also, i personally don't want CaH to be hero army - cuz those guyz make me feel like a part of the Tolkienism and the core being of Lotr is being "deteriorated" but its up to your personal preference. Also, I would want inn units to be carried over from map to map, and as for units taking more than one turn. Is there any way to implement a system of Unit production rate in the living world map - where the base production rate is always just 1 turn; (<- yes im actually using it) but if more than a certain number of units are being built in that turn: making another batallion at that point causes it to take 2 turns, and if yet more untis are being built that turn - perhaps that might render it to take even 3 turns. But as a regular basis, it is really annoying to have certain units take 2 or 3 turns just cuz they are little more powerful. I mean eliter units shouldn't take more turns unless they are like A LOT MORE STRONGER, like hero hordes, and heroes...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 mr_g

mr_g
  • Project Team
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:24 PM

so with my good english :p I will try to explain what I want and feel and hope what I say it's possible to do.

-Numbers of hero : I don't really have idea, but for me it will be good if it's like I say after, of course if it's possible.

-Hero leader good side :
Fellowship 1 : Gandalf and after Aragorn, but Gandalf should not be in the fellowship after the moria for me

Rohan : in first we play with Eomer so he's the leader, but after Helm's Deep, Theoden must be the leader, and the other heroes as buildable heroes.

Elves : for me they must be dispatch in 3 factions with 3 leader; I mean
Rivendell with Elrond for leader and Arwen and Glorfindel for buildable heroes.
Lothlorien with Galadriel or Celeborn for leader and Haldir for buildable hero if you do your wotr like book or without if you do like movie.
Mirkwood with Thranduil for leader and Lalaith for buildable hero.

Gondor : 2 factions here
Gandalf for leader for minas Tirith with Pippin and Imrahil for buildable heroes
Faramir for leader for Ithilien rangers and Damrod for buildable hero; I think Faramir team should have mission where even if you win you must go back to the White City, I think it's a good idea but don't know if possible.

Fellowship 2 aka Grey Company : Aragorn for leader with Legolas, Gimli, Elladan adn Elrohir for buildable heroes, and rangers for units. Must start in south and join Minas Tirith.

Dwarfs : Dain, Gloin and Brand for leader; Brand should appear after your mission.

For the question about Gandalf's Gondor leader and Aragorn's Grey Company leader, it could be after Isengard mission, I don't know if it's possible to force that, but I hope.

-CaH : I don't want it as a to be hero army.

-Inn units : carry or not carry, why not if you recruit them; or maybe not everywhere but only in a region, I mean if you recruit them in Eriador then can't go out of Eriador.

-One turn per unit : yes yes yes

-Number of building units : one after all.

-Other ideas : for the moment that's all.

I hope what I wrote is readable, lol.
Mr_G great fan from France of Robnkarla's job.

Edited by mr_g, 05 August 2007 - 12:23 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK
  •  2D Art

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

I think four leaders is best as it allows for more versitility attacking and defending.
The idea put forward in one of the other posts about starting with 3 leaders and being able to recruit a fourth from a fort would also work well.
--------------------------------------------

Army Leaders:
Gondor - Aragorn, Gandalf, Faramir, Boromir

Elves - Elrond, Thranduril, Haldir and Legolas
(Glorfindel is a scout so imo he should not ead an army)

Dwarves - Gloin, Gimli, Dain, King Brand (as current)

Rohan - Theoden, Eomer, Erkenbrand, Gamling

Goblins - Gorkil, Azog, Drogoth, Ghundor
(shelob should definatly not be an army leader)

Evil Men - Mahad Chieftan, Ji Indur Dawndeath, Easterling Chieften, Khamul (2 Harad, 2 Easterling)

Angmar - Witchking, Morgomir, Hwaldir, Rogash (or with karsh instead of hwaldir)

Isengard - Sauroman, Lurtz, Ugluk, Sharku

Arnor - Current armies are fine

Mordor - Witchking, Mouth of Sauron, Gothmog, Burzolog or Snaga (this allows 6 nazgul to be buildable so they can all be together. I would prefer this but not sure about anyone else)

-----------------------------------
CaH should not be a hero army, there are plenty of heroes on the game who are suitable for army commanders without having heroes that are not part of lotr.

----------------------------------

inn units should carry over, yes. I think it would be interesting if they had to remain in the territory they were built in as a garrison rather than being able to join hero armies. With the new inn system this would add a new level to wotr - it would be possible to have allied rhun units for example guarding a territory. This in my mind is also more realistic than having parts of other factions recruited through inns joining the hero armies.

- What do people think about hero houdes carrying over? I think it might work and would give more of an incentive for levelling them up. It might upset the balance though idn.. :)
---------------------------------

All units should build in one turn yeah. because some units are more expensive than others this makes it harder to build elite units anyway.

-------------------------------
1 battalion per turn is enough in my mind, maybe 2 of the weaker units. I have noticed that combined battalions are only counting as one in auto-resolve battles atm so perhaps building 2 battalions at once of the units that have the ability to combine might balance this out a bit if it cannot be fixed.

-------------------------------

Lastly, i think in order to stop mordors 6 nazgul from becoming too op they should start every mission on horseback. Basically if they hav previously purchased a fellbeast in other missions they should return to their horse in the following mission. This would prevent mordor starting a mission with upto 6 fellbeast allowing for insane rush tactics.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#5 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

heres an idea :).

4 starting armies.

Gondor-Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir, Imrahil (yes, not gandalf, ill get there later.)
Rohan-Theoden, Eomer, Erkenbrand, -is theodred in game?-
Elves-Thranduil, Elrond, Celeborn, Haldir
Dwarves-Dain, Brand, Borin, Thorin
Gobbos-Azog, Gorkil, Ghundor, Lozenarja
Evil Men- 2 naz, 2 others.
Angmar-WK, Mor, hwaldir and rogash
Isen- Sarumon, Lurtz, Ugluk, Sharku
Arnor- idk :/
Mordor- WK, MoS, Gotmog, Burzalog

no cah.

yes for inn units.

1/2 turn? u reduced all horde sizes...

1 i would say...

ok, my idea is that, while you start with 4 heroes, since rob is so kindly making banners for all heroes, when you build heroes on a living world map (the one where u command armies) instead of becoming a garrison, the heroes become a banner themselves for you to command. If you build them in a game however, they just join the garrison with the commanding hero.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#6 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:10 PM

Most of this will be like yoda's, but you know what they say about great mind think alike...

Gondor: Aragorn, Imrahil, Boromir and Faramir (yeah same as yoda's but they are all leaders)
Rohan: Theoden, Gamling, Eomer, Erkenbrand
Elves: Elrond, Thranduil, Celeborn, Cirdan (all kings/ lords of the elves.)
Dwarves: Thorin, Borin, Dain, Brand
Arnor: Arveleg, Argeleb, Arvedui, Carthean
Goblins: Drogoth (if not him, Lozenarja), Ghundor, Gorkil, Azog (don't play as goblins much)
Evil Men: Dawndeath, Khamul, Easterling Captain, Mumak Cheiftain (or the Harad)
Angmar: WK, Karsh, Rogash, Mogormir
Mordor: WK, MoS, Gothmog, Ren the Unclean
Isengard: Saruman, Lurtz, Sharku, Ugluk
---------------------------------------------
no go on the CaH, Except following yoda warrior's idea on extra hero armies (i'll give my stand later)

All ahead full on the Inn units. i mean c'mon in real life if you recruited somebody for your army, you're not gonna leave them behind.

All should take one turn.

maybe Two, but only for basic units...

I like Yoda's idea on buying a new hero on the LWM, but limit it to one or two extra Heroes (for evil) or two to three (for good), and Maybe every hero comes w/ a battalion or two of units.

Edited by Sword_of_the_North, 04 August 2007 - 09:59 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:15 PM

imo the factions with more heroes should have an advantage. maybe some heroes shouldnt be able to do that tho, such as the hobbits, but it could also go the other way too. not sure which i favor

Edited by YodaWarrior, 04 August 2007 - 09:15 PM.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#8 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

Only four heroes can fight a battle at a time. Otherwise it crashes. This is due to the limited ui and can't be fixed.
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#9 Ulakanakulot

Ulakanakulot
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:21 PM

Hello,

in my modest opinion, more hero leaders in WOTR mode would make the strategic side of the game more interesting. Given the number of provinces in the map (more or less 50 if i remember), I think that 5 hero armies per faction would be good; more than 5 might cause a little "traffic jam", if one plays with 5 o 6 factions.
I'haven't read Tolkien's books, I've only seen the movies, therefore I don't know the extent of the resources and manpower in Middle Earth; anyway more than 5 campaign armies on the field at the same time seem too much for a single faction.

PS: I love WOTR mode!
PS2: my english is bad...

#10 Ulakanakulot

Ulakanakulot
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

Ops... sorry for my previous post, I didn't notice this is a beta talk.
my apologies for the intrusion.

#11 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:54 PM

Don't worry about posting in Beta Talk, for now the forums is open to anyone and all are welcome to share opinions and suggestions.

Robert J.

#12 {IP}jimmyman

{IP}jimmyman

The only was one can understand me is by being me.

• Project Team
  • 644 posts
  • Projects:Mapping for RJ_RotWK
  •  freelance mapper/3d modeler in training

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:20 AM

well i have an idea
if u buy a hero from the fortress u can use them as a hero army of sorts, as in they have an army flag but have a lower cp limit within the army and the original ones get a sort of higher boost to their cp limits
Sig by Serated
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image CLICK THE DRAGONS Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Spointz2020

Spointz2020
  • Members
  • 153 posts
  • Projects:RJ-Rotwk Beta Tester

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

cool idea, but as 4 wat Ulakanalkut said, I think 4 hereos as is right now is definitely enough - cuz personally I enjoy Wotr styled games with like 5 or 6 players. It makes it more interesting overall to have lto of factions and players, but think about it 4 heroes per faction for 6 players is like 24 heroes! and like u said if the territories number up around 50 - u basically have close to half the entire map filled with just heroes! and that's not even counting soome of the other stuff that take up space. So what you would want is that you at least get some flexibility earlier, with "exploring" and "conquering" other areas and expanding, but that often easily becomes impossible by turn 2 / 3 in many matches - instead ur just tossed into an endless chain of little skirmishes with the AI forever! So what I would like is that more emphasis be put on that "Conqueror" style type of playfor earlier bit of the game. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 The Best Guest

The Best Guest

Herald of Kane.....

• Division Admins
  • 2,048 posts
  • Projects:Revora, {IP}
  •  Varied
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:PR Admin

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:24 PM

I agree four hero armies should be enough
mrbar.jpg
SEE-Team_MapEditor.jpg

#15 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

Not 5 hero leaders man :-\

4 leaders is already uber, having 5 would ruin WotR, which is the thing i like most in BFME II.

I think there should be only 3 leaders. Perhaps you should create a poll to decide this. My initial thought was to have 3 hero leaders. The other army leader would be chosen by the player at the cost of 5000 resources. It could be any hero, but the player picks it.

--------------------------------------------------------
My ideas for hero leaders:

Gondor: Aragorn, Boromir, Prince Imrahil / Faramir
Arnor: Arvedui, Carthean, Arveleg
Rohan: Theoden, Erkenbrand, Éomer (they are the three marshals, after all)
Elves: Elrond, Thranduil, Haldir/Círdan
Dwarves: King Daín Ironfoot II, Glóin, King Brand (for god's sake remove Gimli)
Isengard: Saruman, Lurtz, Sharkû/Uglúk
Goblins: Azog, Bolg, Gorkil the Goblin King
Mordor: Gothmog, Witch-King, Mouth of Sauron
Evil Men: Mahûd, Suladan the Black Serpent, ???
Angmar: Witch-King Morgomir, Hwaldar

Can Evil Men get the Black Serpent? He was the only known hero for Harad in the actual lore.

By the way, please don't put Gandalf as an army leader. Gondor has two of the game's best heroes as army leaders, which is kinda unfair. Having Aragorn is already good enough.

Edited by Xingdao Fan, 05 August 2007 - 09:46 PM.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#16 Ulakanakulot

Ulakanakulot
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hello,
well, I agree that five armies may be be too much, but I would point out that five armies let you do strategic maneuvres that you cannot do with three. Three armies are not enough for me, four it's ok anyway. Three armies limit the strategic options. Maybe four it's the right number after all.
it's just my opinion of course! :p

I like your idea too Xingdao Fan, 3 hero leaders + one that you pick with resources (I would prefer 4+1 anyway ;) ).

#17 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

look to the Evening Star!

• Project Team
  • 588 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

JEV3 was right anyway. With 5 armies, it would crash. 4 reinforcements banner wouldn't fit in the UI, at least I think that's what he meant.

xingdaofan-1.jpg

#18 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK
  •  2D Art

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

I have made a seperate poll for voting on the number of army leaders and also which heroes should be the leaders.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users