Photo

New Users will have to learn to make their own mods

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:22 AM

Not to start off on a harsh tone but this one was coming for some time. We have a large influx of new users, this is a good thing, except the new users are missing the protocal of how T3A works. You cannot come to T3A, tell us you're gonna make Uber Supermod for BFME with XX factions and then ask the veterans of the site if you can have this model, or that skin.

Worse still, to ask them to make it for you!

That is not the way things work here. New users must understand the difference between asking for advice, and asking from someone thier hard work. The most fun part of modding is to learn it yourself, not compile a bunch of other peoples hard work and than call it your mod.

So we are gonna be cracking down greatly in the next few weeks until the large influx of new people understand "how things work here."

I'm sorry, we are not gonna be nice, we're gonna be firm. We will spank people, even warn people if they ask repeatedly. We have to do it this way to continue to make T3A the place to be for modding. We are not a modding studio to make work for others, we are an academy of veterans who are willing to help new people.

Please don't abuse it.

#2 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Last Alliance modification, The Hobbit mod
  •  Forger Of (Last) Alliance

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:43 AM

Good one :umad: I hope that now atleast new members will understand.

#3 Dindi

Dindi

What The Deuce?

• Project Team
  • 249 posts
  •  Modeler,Skinner, coder

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:28 AM

:umad:, well done although not all new users will read this those that do should not be noobish and respect the time and the work modders
Posted Image
Thanks to Caluadan for the Sig

#4 cahik_

cahik_

Sage engine ruler

• Project Team
  • 1,896 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member and Crazy animator

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:00 AM

Hostile is absolutly right and agree with him absolutly on that subject. Everyone needs to realize that getting stuff from other mods and putting it together to create huge mod with thousands new units and hundreds of new heroes but without any orginal concept ( i mean gameplay one here ) will not earn you any respect here. Modding is supposed to be creative work not work where you ask for models, skins, codes. I know that i takes long time to make new model/skin/Fx/whatever but it is only way how to improve your skills. Getting critique and taking good advices how to make it better is part of the improving proces. Thus of that you should think about that critique and try to make your stuff better then act childish ( ie. getting angry, leaving and such). That will not help you in any way. The only think that you can earn by acting like that is being called n00b.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:30 AM

I couldnt agree more with cahik.

#6 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:48 PM

I agree completly (with the topic). If you can't tell someone nicely the first time, you must be more forcible.

#7 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:44 AM

But we need to understand the differance between an established mod recruiting work from interested users, and some new user coming here with nothing to show and asking for assets.

This needs to be defined. A doctrine needs to be written. A set of rules so to speak. A way of doing things.

To much to define in one doctrine, but to identify and clarify one starting point...

If you are a new user, you have to make your own mod. If you are a team with established assets, than recruiting from the plebes is totally acceptable IMO

#8 Master Windu

Master Windu

The Master.

• Advisors
  • 2,150 posts
  • Projects:Galaxy at War, Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:51 AM

Exactly. You shouldn't be able to just come in here and take some people's work and throw it together in your 'mod.'

But if you have a good mod that would benefit from using some assets that a great modeler or skinner made, then those assets are there to help improve your mod.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 demilich

demilich
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:43 AM

Even thou I'm new user here, I've read this topic and I'm absolutly agree with it. I'm not trying yet to create a new mod, I just experimenting with my ini files to learn, and I need only good advices...

Edited by demilich, 11 August 2007 - 07:45 AM.

#10 Smeagolfan24

Smeagolfan24

I calmeva i Valar

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope Voice Work, nothing too big
  •  The Silent Observer

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

I'm with demilich; I completely agree. New users (and that means me, too) should have to show what they've done to prove themselves to the vets here.

.:Smeagolfan24:.
.:Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven:.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tolkien's Modding Wisdom: "It's the job that's never started that takes the longest to finish."

#11 halbarad

halbarad

lone wanderer

• Project Team
  • 466 posts
  • Projects:RA, tinkering...
  •  random guy

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

maybe a nice bit of self-soothing (ignoring posts to the effect of "give me models for my wicked new mod") is needed?
Now for Wrath, Now for Ruin, and for a Red Dawn...

#12 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

yep i completely agree. im not exactly new, but im also just starting to try to edit inis and stuff so sometimes it hows me how good other people are. asking them to do stuff for you is just...wrong.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#13 clonecommand

clonecommand

title available

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:41 AM

Its rude, selfish, and self statisfying.
(Hmmmm...I think selfish and self-satisying are the same thing :good: )

#14 jimiojoe

jimiojoe

War Mungerer

• Project Team
  • 491 posts
  • Projects:X-Mod, The Harry Potter Modification
  •  Advice

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:13 AM

here here.
Jimiojoe
A light from the shadow shall spring.

#15 Eldarion25

Eldarion25

American and Proud

• Hosted
  • 586 posts
  • Projects:Universe At War: Expanded Edition (skinner and Mod Leader)
  •  Mod Leader for Universe At War: Expanded Edition, member of Istari Productions, and Moderator of Petroglyph section of Geeky Gamers

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:03 PM

I agree, and it's wrong to just take everyone's work and call it your own, but I think it's going a little too far to say that nobody can use one single thing just because it's on a different mod. I know it's somebody's hard work, and that it's noobish to just take everything from everybody's mod and say it's yours, but you can't say that nobody should get to use anything from anybody but themselves. I also know this is to just keep noobs from taking everything from everybody and calling it their's, but there should still be some freedoms to it. :p
Mod Leader for the Universe at War: Expanded Edition mod, member of Istari Productions, and Moderator of the Petroglyph section of Geeky Gamers

Posted Image
^Thanks to Ark for this great sig
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Smeagolfan24

Smeagolfan24

I calmeva i Valar

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope Voice Work, nothing too big
  •  The Silent Observer

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

To add on to the above post, some things will soon be in every mod, like, for example, RJ's camera angles. That's so dynamic that it's almost selfish to keep it to one mod. :p

IMHO, of course.

.:Smeagolfan24:.
.:Battle For Middle-earth II Heaven:.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tolkien's Modding Wisdom: "It's the job that's never started that takes the longest to finish."

#17 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

^^There is nothing wrong if you get one or two models donated but if you have 70% of models in your mod from still active mod, thats wrong :p

^I doubt that. Its also quite alot of work so I doubt that many mods will bother, no matter how cool it is :cool:

#18 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

yeah, it's cool, but I like the standard RTS way better :)

And please, stop agreeing to everything... This topic is not meant to be agreed in that manner ;) Unless we all of T3A agrees on this topic :mellow:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#19 Eonwe

Eonwe

title available

• Project Team
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:51 PM

Is this a rule. Recently I started a mod, and its recently has been making a good amount of progress, and will soon release a beta. So would it be ok to still use material as long as we ask?

#20 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:07 PM

Please don't abuse it.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic