105 replies to this topic

#21 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

the ultimate ambition..... be a Red arrow pilot in the RAF.

Royal Airforce, I presume? Anyway, if that really is your life's ambition you should just pursue it. Almost anything is possible if you try hard enough.
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#22 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

yes...well being a fast jet fighter pilot will be good enough ;)

i will be a happy man.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#23 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:52 AM

1. Get this elusive degree from my university. So many people end up here for five years or... fail out (And the reason why is occuring on the floor above me at the moment: Some people are getting absolutely tanked...)
2. Graduate work in England, or maybe a semester abroad.
3. Pursue a PhD in biology, write a lovely, if long winded, dissertation and perhaps develop it into a journal article.
4. Write a positively lovely and ultimately boring book.
5. Ideally: Make good money in university level instruction or research.
Realistically: Work as a corporate tool for the best years of my life, essentially as a lab mole with beakers and pipettes.
6. Make money, build clone army, obliterate the most powerful two nations on the planet, and make the world a lovely place for everyone who loves His Majesty Emperor Spencer. Or sometihng like that.
7. See to it that Marie-Reine-du-Monde Cathedrale in Montreal on Boul. Rene-Levesque ends up with a more... humbling name.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#24 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

Whoa, I just accidentally bumped on this topic.

So
- have you accomplished any of these things yet?
- have you changed the list?

Personally I
- got a job. or, 3
- am going out more
- have been to thailand
- am going to new york
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#25 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

I have managed to get myself a flying scholarship through the RAF, and I am flying with the RAF reserves every weekend and I'm half way to being an instructor to teach air cadets how to fly. Hopefully by January next year I will be in that position!
Yet, I can't even drive but I can fly a plane solo... best thing is it doesn't cost any money.

I am going to a tank driving experience next spring!

On the monster truck front; I have done my research and when I have a bit of an income and a lot more disposable cash, I know how to get one!

My rollercoaster dream is still a dream though, no chance of that happening anytime soon!
Posted Image
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

#26 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

Well done on your RAF scholarship. One of my uncles was a pilot in the RAF (now a pilot for BA), my grandfather was also a pilot in the RAF, another of my late-uncles was in the RAF but I think he was a gunner or something like that. I also have a friend who when he finishes Upper 6th Form is joining a RAF gunner regiment. What connections! :)

Let's see my todo list:
  • Pick A-level choices that I know I'll enjoy (stuck between 4 subjects for last 2 options)
  • Go to a good university
  • Travel!
  • Get an interesting job
Probably in that order :p

Edited by Puppeteer, 08 December 2008 - 08:26 PM.

#27 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hmm...

- Get a damn fine degree.
- Get employed in military intelligence. That's where the awesome is at.
- Get a car that costs as much a house in the neighbourhood, then pick a fight with the owner of said house so I can point out that my car is worth more than his house.
- Try as many mind-altering substances as a fortnight in Amsterdam will provide me with.

I'm playing the long game here, you might have noticed. If this place still exists in 20 years I might swing by for an update.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#28 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

- Try as many mind-altering substances as a fortnight in Amsterdam will provide me with.

Be careful. Seriously. I went out there this year with 3 of my mates. You need to be in a nice comfortable room if your going to try shrooms and what not, and you need a sitter. That its the most important thing. Try and keep social contact to a minimum and also don’t go outside. It's a bad choice. Especially with trams and bikes and cars blazing around you with no care whether you're in the way or not.
And make sure you get low strength stuff. You will be surprised how strong it is. It's a pile off piss to find. They sell it in vending machines, in tourist shops and all sorts. Out there its as easy to get as buying a pint of milk

Oh, and be careful of the egg noodles :)

Edited by olli, 08 December 2008 - 09:04 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

The egg noodles is good advice. Apart from that, it's OK. I know what I'm doing with drugs (for the most part), I just want to experience as many as the most liberally-stocked city in the world can offer me. I'm probably going to head over at Easter with a few friends, do it then. That'd be one down, three to go.

Also, @ Puppeteer: you're only just making your A Level choices? Would that make you only 15 years old? If so, I'm impressed, you come across as much older than that. I recommend English, History and Politics as a good combo. And don't do anything that ends in 'Studies' unless it begins with 'Business'. That's the only real one. Trust me.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#30 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:19 PM

And don't do anything that ends in 'Studies' unless it begins with 'Business'. That's the only real one. Trust me.

No it's not. It's one of the least accepted subjects, and black listed by many "good" universities. But then again it depends what course you want to apply for.

Oh and the reason I say beware of the egg noodles is because my friends managed to convince me that the egg noodles I was eating contained hallucinogens. As a result I became paranoid, keep checking my heart rate, breathing rate and looking at my hand to see if it was swirling or anything odd. It provided them with about an hour of amusement, until I realised they were taking the piss!
Posted Image

#31 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

Well, I admit it's more or less just a phony Economics, but it's still more real than Media Studies. Basically, Puppeteer, don't do any subjects that don't have proper names without having to resort to the American standard of lumping two words together and calling it more than it has any right to be.

Heh, you've got to admit, that's pretty funny. Toying with people's minds while they're tripping is one of the genuine pleasures of this world.

#32 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:40 PM

- Get a car that costs as much a house in the neighbourhood, then pick a fight with the owner of said house so I can point out that my car is worth more than his house.

Now that's what I call style ;)

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#33 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:41 PM

Thing is, I wasn't on anything. Completely clean and sober and they thought they would try it.... I was paranoid that something would happen to me when I went out there and they knew that so they thought it would be funny to try and convince me I was eating hallucinogenic noodles. I brought it because it really isn't that far fetched when your in a place like Amsterdam!
Posted Image

#34 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

I recommend English, History and Politics as a good combo.

I've got History (the Totalitarian Course, the one hardly anyone does at our school) and Further Maths as definite options. Thing is, I have no idea what I want to do when I'm older so I'd like a fine balance between arts and sciences. So I'm stuck now for last 2 options with French, Politics and Chemistry. Possibley English as well.

Edited by Puppeteer, 09 December 2008 - 05:36 PM.

#35 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

Further Maths generally goes with Physics, as I recall. You could try that, I guess. Apparently Chemistry's a lot of fun, with blowing shit up and learning how to blow shit up in different ways. Well, you know, it's really down to what you enjoy. If you have no definite aim in mind, do the subjects that you find most interesting and are best at. And remember not to go by which teachers you like. Make sure it's just the subject matter.

#36 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

Be careful. Seriously. I went out there this year with 3 of my mates. You need to be in a nice comfortable room if your going to try shrooms and what not, and you need a sitter. That its the most important thing. Try and keep social contact to a minimum and also don’t go outside. It's a bad choice. Especially with trams and bikes and cars blazing around you with no care whether you're in the way or not.
And make sure you get low strength stuff. You will be surprised how strong it is. It's a pile off piss to find. They sell it in vending machines, in tourist shops and all sorts. Out there its as easy to get as buying a pint of milk

Oh, and be careful of the egg noodles :D

Not anymore. Right-wing christians decided it was immoral to allow folks to mind their own fucking business, so mushrooms are now outlawed. Kids are now going into the woods to find their own, and I suspect the first reports of death by poisoning will be around somewhere next month. Fucking idiots.

The only way to get mushrooms now is to go up and talk to shady people on streetcorners. You don't want that.

Difficult times, my friends.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#37 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:32 PM

- Teach the woman that cleaning for me is just as fulfilling as cooking for me.
- Earn some damned money again. Hoboing is great, but your wallet will hate you.
- Become qualified in something. Doing the odd consultancy is awesome. But it's not permanent.

#38 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:59 AM

Short term--

1. Piss as many religious fanatics off as I can (my school is full of them).
2. Promote my minarchist causes.
3. Read. Write.
4. Get my black belt in Taekwon Do.
5. Improve my Spanish so that I can actually carry on a conversation with all the Mexicans around here.

Long term--

1. Do as little work as possible.
2. Get better grades than everyone else, while doing as little work as possible.
3. Eventually realize that sometime, I will actually have to do some work.
4. Avoid said work.
5. Do as little work as possible.

Posted Image

#39 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:35 AM

-Graduate.
-Do postgrad forensic psychology study.
-Move to Canada.
-Get job in forensic psych.
-Take over world.Do laundry.

#40 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

What did you do for Undergraduate study Ash and where?

Forensic Psychology is what I plan on doing after getting my undergraduate degree in Psychology
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users