• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

I was talking to Rob, and asked him if i should start a topic for strategies (after seeing that yoda suggested it), and he said sure, so here's the topic and what makes up a post:

-The faction it works best with.
-The type of map (RJ or Normal)
-if you want to the starting resources.
-Suggested power selection.
-If you want to, list whether this strat is better against humans, the ai, or both.
-and the strategy ofc
------------------------------------------
-Elves
-RJ maps
-Tends to work best against ai, though I haven't tested it verse humans, yet.
-Heal, Rallying Call, Enshrouding Mist -or- Elven Woods, Cloud Break, Summon eagles -or- ents, Flood, Farsight, Sunflare. Tom Bombadil and Arrow Volley i don't use much.
-4k resources
1. Early Game (Establishing your army)
Build order: 1 Tree + 1 Barracks, Enchanted Anvil, and a hero (cheap Cah, Glorfindel, Haldir, Arwen, or Sam) (this should leave you with enough to start training extr soldiers).
- Capture any nearby buildings with the prebuilt archers, build one unit of archers and two of swords.
- Use the hero to collect on creep treasures, use units to support, only if needed.
- Train extra soldiers (Swords and bows). Combo Horde like units.
- If an inn is captured, buy an alliance.
- Build a Galadriel's Mirror whenever possible.
- Build a Forge and purchase Banner Carriers, and Heavy Armor, and then upgrade all of your units.
- Upgrade Barracks and Forge to Level 3 as quickly as possible.
2. Mid Game (Fleshing out your army)
- Purchase Forged Blades and Silverthorn Arrows asap, if you haven't done so.
- Train Mirkwood archers and Mithlond Sentries(two to four batts.) and, if possible, one unit of Noldor Warriors.
- When you have enough resources, buy fortress upgrades and heroes, but be sure to save some extra resources so that you can continue train units.
- At some point, build an Ent moot, and get either an ent or treebeard.
- Use powers that you have (Summon Ents/ Eagle, Flood, Sunflare) to damage the enemy fort.
- Bulid a Stables, though this is entirely optional.
- Train as many heroes, units and ents as you can.
- Try to have your fort fuly upgraded by now as the Eagle is a very valuble asset.
3. End Game (Finishing your army and destroying the enemy)
- By now, you probably have a fully upgraded, and a fairly powerful army, well, bigger is better, continue training units.
- If you have cav, do a few nit and runs on your enemy (preferably rb's), also, try using your powers to eliminate the enemy units/ even the enemy fort, (Cloud Break, Sunflare, Summon Ent/ Eagles and Flood can usually kill the fort and alot of their buldings/ units)
- When you can build no more units, sweep in for the killing blow.
- Try to have all combo hordes as doubles (swords-swords and bows-bows) or pikeman-unit combos (swords-pikes and bows-pikes). Cavalry should be doubles.

Edited by Megiledhel, 04 September 2007 - 10:29 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

Good idea making this thread!

@ your strategy above: I'd not buy upgrades until you have a decent army. your strategy suggests rushing with the upgrades...
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#3 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

my aim is usually to get upgrades early on to help my army repel stronger assualts, don't forget, i do use 4k resources.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK
  •  2D Art

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

This is the strategy I use for playing as Isengard. There are a few holes in it but I find it very effective 90% of the time.
1. Starting with 4K resorces.
2. Immediaty upon starting the game build lurtz and ugluk. + 2 furnaces
3. Build uruk pit and more furnaces. Attack any layers with lurtz and ugluk to gain them ranking early on.
4. If the enemy has already started to threaten, produce hordes of uruk-hai. Round up any other units with lurtz and ugluk.
5. Get the uruk pit to rank 3 and produce 3 units of Deathbringers. In an army with lurtz and ugluk these units are so effective :)
6. Use this army to explore the map. The units are all fast, so use it for hit and run on the enemies resorce buildings to cripple their economy early on. Throughout this continually produce uruk-hai and a few pikemen hordes.
7. Build an armory and research all upgrades.
8. Continue hit and run attacks with deathbringer army. Build saruman to add to this army when possible as wizard blast and fireball are useful for dealing with large archer armies (ie elves with silverthorn arrows) that might be a weakness for the deathbringers.
9. Build a seige works and upgrade so that mines can be built. Build about 5.
10. Upgrade the uruk-hai
11. Search for a weakness in the enemies base where mines could be placed. (On RJ maps I tend to use rams instead of mines as there is no real weakness in BFME1 castles) (Palantir power is useful for this)
12. Basically attack with everything at once. Send a few hordes of uruk-hai with the mines to protect them from melee attack. Once inside the base its pretty easy as all the units you have are really good against buildings. Especially the deathbringers.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#5 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

that work against ai or humans? cause it seems a little weak to me

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#6 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  •  2D Art

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

Its most effective against the ai, but I find it works against humans most of the time with perhaps a few changes such as being more agressive with the uruk-hai army and also building ballistas (which in my mind are underpowered).

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:HP Mod
  •  Im just a guy around these forums

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:05 PM

starting at 1k (4k is rather noobish when playing clans)
i have the most effective arnor rush

if you want i can dispaly a replay of me using it against sword of the north :)

i was very quick to rush at 1k its my normal arnor strat sometimes differes i know i could of had major weaknesses but they werent spotted its only about 7-10 mins long so.... enjoy
it was a fun match ill post my guide

sword never thought of getting cavalry it would of pwned my soldiers (that was weakness)

Attached Files

Edited by elvenfury, 29 August 2007 - 02:26 PM.

#8 Allathar

Allathar

これを翻訳する

• Project Team
  • 2,752 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  Greedy capitalist and cynical bastard.

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

Nice document you got there. Although what to do if the enemy goes for horses
It has been reported that some victims of rape, during the act, would retreat into a fantasy world from which they could not WAKE UP. In this catatonic state, the victim lived in a world just like their normal one, except they weren't being raped. The only way that they realized they needed to WAKE UP was a note they found in their fantasy world. It would tell them about their condition, and tell them to WAKE UP. Even then, it would often take months until they were ready to discard their fantasy world and PLEASE WAKE UP

#9 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

its easy go for the option of getting spearman as i said above my speech i could of opted cus its cheap upgrading but i was ok,

and the doc was nothing watch the replay :)

#10 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  •  2D Art

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

@Elvenfury: How's your strategy work on RJ maps? Cos you need some seige to get into a castle

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:50 PM

ON MY GUIDE IT SAID FOR EAST BIGHT -----

----
for RJ's maps

i havent played them yet i need to make a new strat

but on my guide it clearly states for east bight only (i do use the strat for other 1v1 maps)

can people please watch my replay i posted it here especially :)

Edited by elvenfury, 29 August 2007 - 05:52 PM.

#12 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

----
for RJ's maps

i havent played them yet

:sad: :) :sad: :sad: :sad:

theyre the best part of the mod! with the possible exception of the campaign. they own normal battle soooo much. u have to play them :sad:

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#13 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:01 AM

yodawarrior's rite, the best part of the mod is the bfme1 revisited maps! so much fun!u gotta play those lik now!

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Spointz2020

Spointz2020
  • Members
  • 153 posts
  • Projects:RJ-Rotwk Beta Tester

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

ugh lol i remember i used to read those strategy guides on GR.org sooo much.. but only lik 1 has rlly helped me out :p - but even dat changed afta 1.05 came out on bfme 2, so now my strats are just loosely, adn randomly (depending on the situation though) type, knitted-togetter free form strats
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

i played RJ's map last night if u look at my profile in xfire and look at screenshots i took some :p its really good mod, but if u do use my strat its only effective for east bight especially and its rush not a build em up strat but revisited maps were awesome :lol:
reminds me of the good old days

#16 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:55 PM

Here is one of my favorite tactics, the "Bait-and-Switch" (B-A-S). The B-A-S is an advanced hit-and-run tactic which a player can use to lure a group of enemy units to their demise while keeping the units performing the B-A-S safe and alive.

If a player is against a tough armored infantry unit like guardians or deathbringers and doesn't enough units to challenge them head-on, then the B-A-S is here to help. The best team to use this with is the elves, because they are fast and ranged.

There are 3 groups involved with this tactic:

* The Fish: Those enemy units.
* The Bait: The unit that has their attention. Heroes are good at this imo.
* The Fishermen: Archers that are performing the trap. It is best that you only have a few fishermen because if you have too many, then the enemy will see the trap and might run before you can spring it. So have enough fishermen that they are subtle, but effective. 2 archer hordes is best imo.

This is a step-by-step way to execute a B-A-S trap:

Step 1: Baiting; Before you can trap the enemy, you must lure them in.

Step 1a: Aggrevation; The first thing to do is to grab the enemy's attention. Attack them until you have their attention, then run away. If they don't follow you, then try attacking another target and see if that works. If not, then Let Them Bite.

Step 1b: Let Them Bite; The fish isn't gonna go for bait that they can't reach. Move your bait close to the enemy and let them damage your bait (ie, bite). The more damage that the bait takes, the more confidence the enemy will have that they can finish off the bait if it tries to run, and thus, the more likely they will be to go after the bait when it does run.

Step 1c: Reel Them In; Now that you have their attention, fall back to your fishermen. If the enemy chases the bait, then you can move on to Step 2.

Step 2: Switching; When this procedure began, the bait was the offensive unit. Now that it is retreating, the fishermen are now on the offensive and will kill the fish.

Step 2a: Catching the fish; Anything that's worth catching won't immediatly die when your fishermen attack. Move the bait around while the fishermen rain arrows upon the fish. Keep the fish at a safe distance from the fishermen, but within range of the fishermen's attacks. If the fish decides to forget the bait and go after the fishermen, then it is time for Advanced Switching.

Step 2b: Advanced Switching; If the enemy goes after your fishermen (and assuming that you have 2 hordes), then spread out the fishermen ASAP. The horde that the fish goes for will now become the bait while the previous bait and the other archers become the fishermen. Anything that the fish goes for is bait. Anything that has a ranged attack that isn't bait is fishermen. Keep baiting, switching, and attacking until the fish dies.

HOORAY! Now the fish is dead and with minimal losses! If you had taken the fish head on, then you probably would've lost a lot of units!

Short summary for those who don't like to read: For this tactic, you lure the enemy in then make the enemy chase a unit that they can't reach while another shoots them from afar. Although it takes micromanagement, in the end it pays off because a group that would normally be slaughtered did the slaughtering.
Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#17 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

very nice legible strat :p only two things i would improve on. make the enemy mad with at bait, such as destroying RBs, crippling an enemy hero, or using boromir horn and slaughtering them before running :p i would suggest four hordes of 'fisherman', two on each side of the path where the bait will run. stealth them if you can, either with cloaks or trees. when the enemy is right in the middle, command them to attack. because two will be on both sides, no matter who the fish(or shark :p) goes after, at least two hordes can still attack, unless they have 4 hordes. if they do, concentrate fire one until dead and split the others up. very nice tho :p

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#18 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:14 PM

very nice legible strat :p only two things i would improve on. make the enemy mad with at bait, such as destroying RBs, crippling an enemy hero, or using boromir horn and slaughtering them before running :p

Of course. Didn't you see "Aggrivation"? :p

i would suggest four hordes of 'fisherman', two on each side of the path where the bait will run. stealth them if you can, either with cloaks or trees. when the enemy is right in the middle, command them to attack. because two will be on both sides, no matter who the fish(or shark :p) goes after, at least two hordes can still attack, unless they have 4 hordes. if they do, concentrate fire one until dead and split the others up. very nice tho :):)

Too many fishermen and the bait will flee. If there's few of them, they can still perform BAS but aren't a priority to the enemy until its too late. Concentrating fire and micromanagement are critical for this tactic to work. However, if it's a large battle, then its ok to have lots of fishermen because the enemy is there anyway. Just lure the enemy away from ur archers while they slaughter them.

I've had stealthed archers in wait though, it really depends on the situation.

Edited by dojob, 04 September 2007 - 10:18 PM.

Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#19 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:27 PM

Well, this surprises me....it appears that I've used this before....but anyways, To dojob, an excellently built strategy, gives the player another 'wildcard' to rely on should they want to. To yoda, good ideas, yours would work, it all just depends on the player's prefered tactics.

hmmm.....I may know a little too much in the strategies department....

Edited by Megiledhel, 04 September 2007 - 10:27 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

yes, i saw aggrevation, i was just elaborating on what you said :p if the archers are stealthed, and you dont unstealth until theyre in the middle of your archers, 4 works well. like sword said tho, a matter of preference.

what do u mean by too much? :p

yodasig2.png
My political compass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users