#1 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:35 AM

I know it's quite natural to get peeved with your parents once in a while, but mine are driving me to fits of loathing recently. All they do, all the time, is find fault in me and make sure I fucking know about it. My mother, the moody, miserable, complaining old hag of a woman that she is, will not stop telling me what to do with myself. Lines such as "you have to be told because you don't know how to do things yourself" and other such crap. My dad is more or less the same, with his perpetually grim outlook on everything. The bright side of life, it seems, is lost on him.

The thing that pisses me off the most is their utter incapability to understand that I am not boring/bored/wasting my life/have no friends/don't talk to people/don't like fresh air/sunlight etc (all accusations I have received). Nothing is good enough for them. Anything I achieve is overshadowed by everything that I do not. They do not, most of all, understand my mild obsession with gaming. My mother once came out with the legendary line of not being able to distinguish reality from games. I, of course, exploded and ripped her to pieces.

They don't understand that it's a social activity (albeit not so much so as actually interacting with people face to face, but I'd be hard pressed to, say, interact with Boomer (who's Swedish) face to face. Indeed, I have met people in many countries through the use of my computer, computers connect the world in ways that have not been possible before. They, of course, don't have a clue and will not listen.

My way of dealing with them is just blanking them. I've had enough of trying to explain myself. It works wonders too, they just get depressed and I waltz around the house, bursting with malevolent glee! I must, however, get out of the house!

Does anyone else get this kind of shit from their parents?

Edited by Calamity_Jones, 03 September 2007 - 10:37 AM.

Posted Image

#2 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

how old are you Calamity?

because if your under 18/19 i can understand....if your older, then.....

well. yeah i sometimes get that shit from my parents, but i balance it out with a social life aswell. Gaming is only done on week nights and in the day time on weekends.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#3 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

I've never had this problem with my mom, cause she's always been busy workin her ass off and getting screwed over by the government trying to support me and herself and my dad doesn't even live with us.

It's actually my sisters that I get this crap with, especially my slightly older sister who rags on me and just about everyone, I go to say the store for her to get something and if I make one little mistake she'll make a huge deal out of it. She's always putting me down and shit, she's driving fuckin insane, no wonder my sanity is slowly leaving me :/ .
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#4 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

mm, parents and family worrying about your future. nothing new about that. naturally its different from family to family.

in my family i would say we don't really give a rats ass about what you do education-wise, because we know that education is really just a bunch of numbers and grades on paper which doesn't really reflect your own skills. they are more worried though about social "networking", as thats most likely the best way for you to learn and get work within topics of interest. building up a spiderweb of people that can help you or get help from you is basically how the world works on a smaller and bigger scale.

anyway, thats what i basically feel this might be about. naturally everyone feels that parents and family is annoying as hell in the long run, and most people move out(nudge nudge wink wink) to get away from them for a few years at least.

my father is mostly worried that since I'm not drinking that i will not have as much fun as he and not build as big a network as he did. he started doing politician-stuff about my age so i don't worry too much though. i've heard indirectly that my grandfather worries that I'm educating myself into unemployment, but he worries about how to turn on his television so I'm not too bothered.

it usually helps to get out of the house for a few years, moving around and finding new people to get familiar with, getting out of the old down-trodden path of your home area.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#5 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

Oh, I'm moving out at the end of next year, It's just a matter of surviving another year :p

I'm worried that you're not drinking? If you don't consume alcohol, who's going to punish your liver?! Your liver is evil, and it must be punished!
Posted Image

#6 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 03 September 2007 - 11:56 PM

Mine aren't so direct about it... but even still, my mom doesn't seem to care one way or another and my dad is more on the fence but doesn't say much about it any more. Mine are fine with me working a crappy full-time job to get a new car and fund school...

However, remember one thing: your parents put up with your shit for free. They own you. That makes more sense when you move out.

Edited by Beowulf, 03 September 2007 - 11:56 PM.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#7 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:46 PM

Parents don't really have the right to judge you based on your social or recreational habits or choices, tho.

At first my mum didn't understand how MSN worked, or how I could be talking to dozens of people simultaneously, who lived in other countries.

She did however, understand I didn't have many friends at school, so she wasn't so shocked that I would do those things.

Parents do have a habit of being overly critical and a little insensitive. But so what if you don't go out much, and instead play some videogames? Not everyone likes the same bloody things...

#8 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:11 AM

Yeah, well, that's what parents do. You just have to learn to live with it... or they give up and deal with what you do.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#9 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

Pfft. Whenever my parents (or one of them anyways) would give me any shit about random stuff, I'd just laugh my ass off at their attempts. Made them lose all hope one day and they don't bother me anymore :p

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#10 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts
  • Projects:Keeping Apocalypse and Wrath alive
  •  Apocalypse Admin, Wrath of Orion Admin

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:37 PM

My mum complains about me being on the computer too much, but the only reason that irritates me is that if I've been on an hour she calls it three. I do spend more time then I should on the thing I suppose, but I'm in good shape and I have a good amount of friends at my school so I don't care much. I love my dad very much, the only subject we fight about is my academics, namely my grades odd way of not being as good as my two older siblings. Really, my dad's oversupportive. If I scribble on a piece of paper or wack my 'cello with the bow he'll tell me it's great art...

Both my parents had unusual childhoods tho so they don't much comment on my social habits. We get along very well for the most part.
Posted Image
This is the place where all the junkies go, where time gets fast but everything gets slow.
I'll get to the moon if I have to crawl.
The problem with any government is that it eventually attracts politicians.

#11 Starmie

Starmie
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  •  He of the night

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Mine are good most of the time, but my entire paternal side seems to have a prejudice against anything that isn't white, Presbyterian, British, intelligent, etc. etc. Mind you, I suppose it's a prerequisite, growing up in Northern Ireland. Thankfully my maternal side is fairly liberal and accepting of most things, including Irish people and Catholics.
Team completion - 25%

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 Cossack

Cossack

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:28 AM

The thing that pisses me off the most is their utter incapability to understand that I am not boring/bored/wasting my life/have no friends/don't talk to people/don't like fresh air/sunlight etc (all accusations I have received).

I have recieved many of the same accusations...except my parents seem to do it in subtle ways, which is almost worse because I can't actually start a direct argument with them.

They don't seem to understand human will at all.

If I wanted to go outside, I would go outside, if I wanted to hang out with friends, I would hang out with friends, and if Im playing on the computer, it doesn't mean I'm bored and have nothing to do with myself...it means I enjoy playing on the fucking computer!

The thing that really pisses me off is that I DO hang out with friends, and I DO play sports. Its just that they seem to think they know what I enjoy more then I do, and seem to think that relaxing alone for a day is a waste of a day (even though it is r eally the best kind of day). If I spend a day playing on the computer, whcih hardly ever happens anymore due to there constant nagging, they seem to pity me that I didn't find something better to do.

Well guess what...I enjoy playing video games....the point of life (to a certain extent anyways) is to enjoy life! They should realize that Im not a mental invalid who doesn't know what to do with myself unless they suggest something!

Ah well, 1 more year till im off to university and I get to do whatever the hell i want :D

#13 partyzanPaulZy

partyzanPaulZy

"quarawr!"

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Projects:Corruption Of Power - YR mod
  •  doing my mod alone till 1st release (then will see)

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

I have almost the same problem with parents, but I do necessary activities like dish-washing or vacuum cleaning, so they haven't many piffles about comp. :lol:

Edited by partyzanPaulZy, 20 September 2007 - 02:54 PM.

Posted Image
"Soviet Union was a superpower and each superpower needs at least 1 war at 5 years to keep army in a good condition." ... my grandpa. USA create wars more frequently.

#14 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:34 PM

It's what parents do. At the end of the day, you get to jump ship, go to university and/or get a job, meet ladies, have kids, and terrorise them when it's your turn.

#15 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:48 PM

Do you people also experience that you want do something, but are a bit affraid to do it because it goes against what your parents (or other people) expect you to do? For example, I wouldn't quickly go running outside on a random evening (though I sometimes feel like it) because the last few years i've mostly been sitting inside at the computer, etc. (not always of course, i'm don't have fresh-air-and-daylight-phobia) and that's what people expect me to do. i'm trying to go out more btw
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#16 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:08 AM

My older brother hardly spent an evening in the house the last few years (he's at University now) so my parents don't care too much, 'long as I'm home by 8. Can't wait until I have a car though...
Posted Image
This is the place where all the junkies go, where time gets fast but everything gets slow.

#17 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

By 8? Seriously?

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#18 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:19 PM

On a school night. My parents don't really care how late I'm out during the summer or on weekends.
Posted Image

#19 Natus

Natus

i maid a telescope with my smarties toob

• Project Team
  • 2,005 posts
  • Projects:Ex mapper, GCII Fanatic and sound tech.
  •  "Go fudge yourself you smarmy overly-camp handsome barstard" - Neil Faz

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:50 PM

Parents are good for two things; critisism and reminding you why you moved out. Both go hand in hand, and both work in unison. They try protect you, and push you at the same time, it is merely the most effectual way of, as they say, making you fly to coop. It is merely natural.

Sure, sometimes they can be complete cunts, and make life a living hell, pack you off to the recruits for a year and forget about you, but do not forget; their generation dealt with things differently. Main reason why my family hates me, they wanted me to carry on the family tradition of serving in the army, but after 6 months I was thrown out for merely speaking my mind. It is the way their programmed, protect their kin and make sure they follow in their footsteps to ensure the bloodline or a warped vision of life in my case. Do not hold them in such angst ridden anamosity, for their actions are based on old principles. Just let them wallow and try follow the path upon which you choose. Or indeed, die trying. Better to say you've lived your own life rather than play along to the tune of the flute.

Life is what each of us make it, and how we lead it is our own way, not theirs. Let them scorn, judge, make accusations, for their knowledge of life is limited to their own, small perception of the times they live in.
Natus 3.4

Corrupt program now requires constant reboots and does not function at all in majority of instances. Designed with a web browser component to replace AOL, it has exceeded our expectations by being more crashy and unreliable and with worse tech support. We didn't think it was physically possible! A general product recall is advised; when it does function it seems to require background processes Girl 0.1Beta to stave off further crashes. Will someone PLEASE remove that code, and insert Backbone 1.9 in its place? That's assuming we even bother to continue this prog.

#20 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:30 PM

Very true. I moved out as soon as I could.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users