#1 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:23 PM

I have been trying for sometime to get snow into BFME as a new weather update.Has anyone been able to implement snow into Mods.
If so how?

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#2 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:HP Mod
  •  Im just a guy around these forums

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:02 PM

errr i know for maps

i know snow, rain and falling meteorites aka lava balls

#3 halbarad

halbarad

lone wanderer

• Project Team
  • 466 posts
  • Projects:RA, tinkering...
  •  random guy

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

i dont see why it wouldnt be possible by using a cloud break-like power to create simple objects that were annimated to be falling snow... or where you looking for something different?
Now for Wrath, Now for Ruin, and for a Red Dawn...

#4 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

Captain of the Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Projects:Forgetting RA2 and learning BfME
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

Halbarad's idea is best becoz then you could just make it snow occasionally instead of cheap boring constant sprinkle of snow everywhere. I dont know if its possible but day/night transitions would work well and add more ambience to the game. I swear, if it is possible that will be my BIG goal for my modding career.

#5 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:22 AM

I was thinking for both weather and spell.The spell shouldn't be too hard maybe like the freezing rain spell.But adding it to weather seems rather difficult.When entering SNOWY as a weather type it throws up an error so there must be somewhere it is mentioned outside of Weather.ini.

#6 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:55 PM

Halbarad's idea is best becoz then you could just make it snow occasionally instead of cheap boring constant sprinkle of snow everywhere. I dont know if its possible but day/night transitions would work well and add more ambience to the game. I swear, if it is possible that will be my BIG goal for my modding career.

Coding wise, I don't think it's possible.

My idea was scripting a neutral player that would send out the special powers (cloudbreak & darkess) at some intervals, possibly with an attributemodifier that would affect vision and whatever else you have in mind)

Theoretically possible, but one would need to implement it on every single map.
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#7 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Last Alliance modification, The Hobbit mod
  •  Forger Of (Last) Alliance

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:59 PM

Well guys at WOA have implemented day and night transitions. Has to be done for each map though so might be pretty boring to do.
I think that they also made weather effects.

#8 ched

ched

• Undead
  • 4,431 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Previous Division Leader

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:36 PM

[thread hijack]

The most interesting part about this is not the actual weather change, but how it affects units.

Decrease in vision for some units, somehow triggering stealth for others (not possible in BfME1) ... A visual indication would also be nice for players, but it's hard to do it any other way than a countdown.
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free ~Linus Torvald

#9 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 23 September 2007 - 04:26 AM

Coding wise, I don't think it's possible.

My idea was scripting a neutral player that would send out the special powers (cloudbreak & darkess) at some intervals, possibly with an attributemodifier that would affect vision and whatever else you have in mind)

Theoretically possible, but one would need to implement it on every single map.

Well day and night transitioning could be a good standard for maps if you can make it reduce vision and the like. It would open up all sorts of opportunities for gaining the upper hand on youropponent. For instance if you play as elves vision range is not affected whereas you play as another faction and your vision is reduced. Every faction could have different rules for vision. And if its not to difficult you could change the direction the shadows face gradually as day turns into night.

#10 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:20 AM

The day-night transition would be good for Orcs and trolls they could get a speed boost or something.
They way i see it the only way to have snow is by having a spell or OCL and it might not be possible to add it as a weather type.
I'll have look into all this.

#11 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:13 AM

*Totally different from the actual topic*
You know what would be cool ? With day/night transitions, at day, trolls turn into stone and all the weakest orc types just go crazy and become "stunned" or something :)

Edited by Juissi, 23 September 2007 - 07:14 AM.

#12 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

@ Radspakr If you could make a snow power but dont actually put it in the game, and then script the map to activate this power occasionally, it might work. If it needs to be given to a faction then make it civilian.

@ Juissi Thats kinda what I was saying before. Make every faction handle the day and night differently. But trolls turing to stone would be unfair. I think it should be limited to wild trolls, who, when morning comes will hide in their lairs. Any how during the day it is always cloudy, because of Sauron's power so his minions can travel.

So that wont work out, except for trolls hiding in their lairs to give you that idea.

#13 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:16 PM

@ Juissi Thats kinda what I was saying before. Make every faction handle the day and night differently. But trolls turing to stone would be unfair. I think it should be limited to wild trolls, who, when morning comes will hide in their lairs. Any how during the day it is always cloudy, because of Sauron's power so his minions can travel.
So that wont work out, except for trolls hiding in their lairs to give you that idea.

Ah sorry, I read your post, left the topic then came back and I didnt remember what you were saying :p
Actually it would work like that you could put trolls inside caves or something to be safe from daylight :thumbsupsmiley: That would be quite cool actually, little unfair but meh :xcahik_:

#14 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:26 PM

Not unfair. You would have to come up with something to balance it. Like shorter vision for whoever during the night.

#15 xmttn

xmttn
  • Members
  • 31 posts
  • Projects:D.O.W.N.+ Mod

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:49 AM

he prpbably wants us NOT to discuss about the balancing instead he wants a soöution howto code a wheater :grin:

i i sorry but i cant say anything about wheaters because i never tryed to do something like that :cool:

#16 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:12 PM

he prpbably wants us NOT to discuss about the balancing instead he wants a soöution howto code a wheater mad2.gif

i i sorry but i cant say anything about wheaters because i never tryed to do something like that xd.gif

you should probably check you post before posting :D

I have been playing around and I have got snow to work on maps using map.ini (my first time using one) combined with some modding.
Snow can be added rather simply using just map.ini
just changing snowenabled to yes does the trick though it is actually rain and falls to fast so I adjusted the coding and made a new texture for the snow.It works great.This is half of what I wanted.I'm guessing that this could probably be turn on and off using scripts in WB.

I have been trying to work out how to work snow into a spell.
From looking into freezing rain I found that it actually triggers a weather type as does Darkness.For it too work i'd have to make an OCL set up using maybe Cloud break as a base.Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to make a good looking snow object.I was thinking about rain of fire but that might be a little impraticle.

#17 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:37 PM

Well could FX of some sort work out ?

#18 halbarad

halbarad

lone wanderer

• Project Team
  • 466 posts
  • Projects:RA, tinkering...
  •  random guy

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

i'd just make a model with snowflakes dropping gently, much less laggy than an fx (as long as you dont use alpha's) and would look better.
Now for Wrath, Now for Ruin, and for a Red Dawn...

#19 CNCM_BLITZ

CNCM_BLITZ

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  Amateur Modder

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

Yea, if we, suppose, try to play this with each other online, will it lag?

Also I meant to say, about my offtopic day/night transition, you could apply the vision range reduction and speed reduction idea to the snowstorm. Whoever you give the spell version of the snow to could be immune to this. What do you think? Although I am sure you had some purpose for it already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users