thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:37 AM

The AI modders seem to be willing to share and are always releasing constantly new updates and so forth. It makes it a lot easier to get excited about what they are doing, that's for sure! A new AI Mod for a game you are interested in simply gets you excited to try it all once more.

Hmmm sounds alot like us between versions 1.0 -> 2.50 :lol: I do believe you couldn't be more open to the public then with the forums we had here AND allow all mods out there to use it. Our v2.50 AI is pretty much in all the 30+ faction and 6+ balance mods out there -- a true testament to the scalability of this project.

Mod teams just seem to work better when they know what needs to be done to get it released or when there are bugs being found in what they have just released. It focuses them in like a laser on what's most important, rather than having them get lost online in discussion of possible features or some such.

No complaint from me there. Yep we have some teams working tightly and others not so much. That would be ALL MOD projects everywhere for all games.

I still believe that if Thousand Sons had released what they already had instead of just talking about it all the time, they would still be around, and there would be yet another release in the works right now. But, since there was never any release, soon, it was all talk and no progress, and then a couple of years later, it was simply dead. A release of what they had would have focussed them in on what was essential, and what was needed next, and what wasn't working or what was buggy. But, they never released.

Well MitGas and crew are a different bunch thats for sure. I'm on their team and TRUST ME: work is moving forward so don't worry -- there are strong plans to get it realized. Yes its a flawed team but oh well.. thats life. All teams have their quirks. We work in life with the constraints we are given. Thats what makes life interesting, makes us human. I'd like to have things alot more efficient for all 30+ DoW mod teams but can't. Not possible unless I won the lottery then I'd throw cash to the teams to ensure its done.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#42 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

SoB Confirmed:

http://news.filefron...ction-revealed/

#43 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

Anyone played the demo yet? I've heard only bad things. Apparently the flyer system is awful - they're essentially just hover units. Also, the space marine flyer is a landspeeder, whereas the IG receive the Marauder, and the SoB receive the Lightning. A landspeeder? Hovering jet aircraft? Something like airfields, or called-in airstrikes would have made so much more sense.

At the moment, they're exactly the same as skimmers, but drawn higher in the air. They can still collide with ground units...

The new units for those that are interested, appear to be the Techmarine, Chaos Dreadnought, Pirahna, Gun Trukk, Wraithguard, Leman Russ Demolisher and the Deciever.

Edited by ambershee, 14 January 2008 - 12:11 PM.

#44 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

The new units for those that are interested, appear to be the Techmarine, Chaos Dreadnought, Pirahna, Gun Trukk, Wraithguard, Leman Russ Demolisher and the Deciever.

Sorry but only ONE of those is regrettably true as much as I'd die to see a Chaos Dread (which Chaos needs soooooooo badly as their Tier2 sux b*lls) and an Eldar WraithGuard. I SO SERIOUSLY DOUBT THQ has the budget to do anything past Fliers as much as the UCS might suggest new units for each faction are inbound (but I soooooooooooooooooo wish I am wrong).

Btw, yes flier implementation is awful... I can never imagine in 10,000 lifetimes an Imperial Marauder hovering.. Yikes!

#45 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

I don't think seven units is going to push the boat out on their budget - an organised mod team could put that together very quickly, let alone a professional development team :p They're all mentioned the in the scripts but not completely present in the demo - but I can't imagine each faction would have a referenced unit if none were to make it to game.

#46 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

Gawd I hope yer right Ambershee.. I'd love to see 6 new ground units for the vanilla DoW factions so as to redeem the air stuff.

#47 Cloverfield

Cloverfield
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:44 AM

Played the Demo. Wrote a Review for it on Gamespot. Rather positive review. Here is my exact post:

This is a very good Demo. Has the ENTIRE Dark Eldar Faction. Which is probably a first. I have never played a demo that let you buy everything of a faction. It is rather easy unlike the Dark Crusade demo. Nice to see what the game will be like. I am VERY glad that the Dark Eldar is a fresh faction that is very unlike Eldar. There much more creepier then Chaos and It will take a couple of weeks before I'd start playing em. They look like the Tau of Dark Crusade. .
The opening was alright. I am hoping that The Sisters of Battle aren't going to be a bunch of sluts. I think that is a cheap approach. In the cut scene it makes them look like that in a way. Probably the worst opening of the series. Just because it could have been so much cooler and longer. It shows that The Sisters of Battle are going to be the Necrons of Soulstorm. .
The Graphics are quite a bit better. I think this will have a very dramatic change on the game but not as much as Dark Crusade. Probably just 1 step under.
Why So Serious?

#48 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

It's not hard to have the entire Dark Eldar faction, given that they don't exactly have a bewildering array of units to start with IIRC, grotesques aren't present.

Personally, I think the fact that Asdrubael Vect on the Dais is the relic unit is a very poor choice. No other factions have unique named characters like that. So far, it seems a bit like a hacked together content pack.

#49 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Personally, I think the fact that Asdrubael Vect on the Dais is the relic unit is a very poor choice. No other factions have unique named characters like that. So far, it seems a bit like a hacked together content pack.

If not the Dais then what? They pretty much used up all the units available save the DE Lord and the other named characters.

Also I can see why it can look like a hacked together content pack, probably because the demo is a bit hacked together. One thing I am concerned about is that the 2nd Battle they showcased was quite definitely a Space Marine stronghold scenario, so I place my concern in whether we are back to the skirmish games inbetween scenarios. If so, then the whole multi-planet campaign won't be all that different from what we saw in DC which isn't really that good imo.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#50 Cloverfield

Cloverfield
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

I agree with my review.
Why So Serious?

#51 Casojin

Casojin

Democracy not Dictatorship

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:31 AM

I tried the demo and feel that the aircrafts are disappointing. It's just a hovering unit with not much different from other units. I prefer C&C style aircrafts which roam around the battlefield to attack. They're more realistic.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#52 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

If not the Dais then what? They pretty much used up all the units available save the DE Lord and the other named characters.

The Razorwing? The Phoenix? How about the super-heavy tank whose name currently eludes me?

#53 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:21 PM

Nahh.. Dais of Destruction is fine for the SS's DarkEldar as its a Super Battle Barage and is cool to look at. The Dark Eldar mod team have an interesting take on the Tier4 ubers.. various WarpBeasts.. :wink_new: However.. remember, that the DarkEldar really shouldn't have Tier4 flying ubers.. that looks silly and especially no Scorpion Mark2 SuperHeavy tank (was that what you were thinking?). Has to be as DarkEldar-y as possble.

#54 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

No, there was a specific DE super-heavy. I'll see if I can find it this weekend (the Shadow?). It's appeared several times in various publications but has yet to materialise in 4th edition / forgeworld.

#55 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

Bring it forward and MAYBE I can ask the DE mod team to consider it. :wink_new:

#56 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

No, there was a specific DE super-heavy. I'll see if I can find it this weekend (the Shadow?). It's appeared several times in various publications but has yet to materialise in 4th edition / forgeworld.

That is probably why it wasn't included. Remember that GW ultimately has it's paw on what goes in or out. It is very likely that they didn't want to allow it in the game before it went to tabletop.

Edited by Blodo, 19 January 2008 - 08:25 PM.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#57 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:00 AM

I doubt it will ever hit the tabletop. There were plans to can DE in 4th edition, but there was a bit of an outcry from DE players such as myself, so they still live on in their ever-dwindling numbers. It probably wasn't included because it wasn't researched into - it's probably a bit obscure for a developer who might not be familiar with the property.

#58 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

@ambershee - if you are a DE player then yer absolutely gonna love what the DarkEldar mod team have done with Tyco's original product. Absolutely TOTALLY faithful to the way are supposed to be handled in combat and their use of warp portals. While the SoulStorm offering has nice graphics and such, its ultimately the same gameplay structure as vanilla factions we know. The DE mod team, however, have totally re-thought it through months ago. I got one amazing die-hard DE d00d on the team and combined with excellent 2d/3d artists + coders + AI integrated by me it will equal ONE HELL of a unique gameplay style not seen in DoW. Watch for it..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users