A very important questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_Avenger_*_*

Guest_Guest_Avenger_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:33 PM

There is a version of Remix 2.29 for Mac?

#2 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts
  • Projects:Remix Beta 1.0

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

There is a version of Remix 2.29 for Mac?

no.

Is there even a version of ZeroHour for Mac??? And if so, how is the directory system structured??? If its structured the same, with the same resource fils, theres a chance Remix could be played on the mac version... but if its structured different then theres pretty much now way to make it happen.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#3 Guest_Guest_Avenger_*_*

Guest_Guest_Avenger_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

Yes there is and the directory system is the same.

(sorry for the bad english)

And I have contra 005 for mac

Sorry, these two answers are my

#4 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:01 PM

I contra works on Mac then Remix should work on Mac, they edit the exact same files.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Between now and the next polished release there should be very little new art work done. Instead the focus is on designing, testing, and fixing. the mod has always been so close to finished that its nearly criminal. I'd love to see this through to the end with a real community effort.

#5 Creator

Creator

The cat

• Hosted
  • 3,632 posts
  • Projects:Contra

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:55 AM

I general, all you need is Zero Hour for Mac. All mods will work with it.

#6 Guest_Guest_Avenger_*_*

Guest_Guest_Avenger_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

Yes,but contra for mac and contra for windows aren't the same thing. Contra for windows is .exe and mac can't open it

#7 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

Yes,but contra for mac and contra for windows aren't the same thing. Contra for windows is .exe and mac can't open it

Theres not a "Mac" version of Contra either... I think you simply can't run the self installer (because it is a windows executable) and you used the ZIP version... is this right?

Remix 2.29 is only available as a Rar, but There might be a mac compatable version of WinRar, this would fix your problem.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Phoenix911

Phoenix911

SAS Alpha Team Leader (Forum n00b Hunter 1st battalion)

• Project Team
  • 3,950 posts
  • Projects:Remix Alpha Tester.
  •  I'm the remix alpha tester thats loves to attack n00bs... muhahah!!!

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

heh mac sucks.... i surprised that someone actually not only uses 1.... but more impressivly "players games on it" wtf.
Phoenix™ The Forgotten Samurai
A wise man chooses death before war, A wiser man chooses not to become war.
Posted Image
Foamy!?!! Xombie!?! Awesome Cannon Rock
Everyone should watch this and pass it on as its a very good argument on the subject of Global Warming.

#9 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Projects:ShockWave, Rise of the Reds, WarGames ZH

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:30 AM

I recommend you get 7zX. It's a port of 7-zip to OSX. It should be able to unrar the file you need. ;)

Also, Mac doesn't "suck", especially with BootCamp coming.

#10 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

I'm not a full on Mac hater, but I have to point out that BootCamp is a very limited, and unstable, poor substitute for windows when it comes to games, especialy high end games.

If you don't play PC games then the Mac is just fine... but if you do, theres absolutly no option other than windows.

Also, while Mac's may outperform many mid-range PCs they have nothing that competes with a bleeding edge high end PC. You just can't build a kick ass uber-gaming rig with Mac parts. Again, if you don't play games, why would you care?? But if your the type of soul who needs his DX10 and Rendered moments of glory then theres just not a Mac made that isn't a paper wieght.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Phoenix911

Phoenix911

• Project Team
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

Meh as i said to my friend before macs are good for office work and I guess video/picture editing. However for gaming or a general all round machine its just crap.
A PC can do all that macs can do and more without problems, Mac may have better softwear for certain things like as i say video editing but idk and even still the pc has software capable of doing what macs can do.

And who gives a **** about bootcamp its the biggest pos going why bother getting a mac if your gonna be running a virtual copy of windows anyways for games?
And what i find funny is that alot of mac uses/lovers always diss windows/microsoft saying omg there operating system sucks or its unstable and such but whats ironic is your being forced to use a virtual copy of it for alot of things you may wanna use.
And lets say if windows is soo unstable then why would u want to run a virtual version of it witch in it self would be even more UNSTABLE.
Posted Image
Everyone should watch this and pass it on as its a very good argument on the subject of Global Warming.

#12 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:27 AM

Get your facts right.
BootCamp isn't an emulator, it allows Macs to run a 1:1 copy of Windows, just as a PC would (due to Intel chips), and a custom configured Mac Pro will seriously out-perform many PC's.

Plus, Macs look far superior in almost every aesthetic way, and everything is very tidy and organised, if you need to do maintenance on a Mac, every single cable will be tied and organised, and I haven't seen too many Laptops with suspension.

Edited by Alias, 03 October 2007 - 08:30 AM.

#13 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:24 PM

Get your facts right.
BootCamp isn't an emulator, it allows Macs to run a 1:1 copy of Windows, just as a PC would (due to Intel chips), and a custom configured Mac Pro will seriously out-perform many PC's.

So your excited because you can finaly turn your mac into a Windows PC??? :rolleyes: btw, PCs have supported Duel boot for more than a decade, so I'm a little suprised Mac is so far behind the curve on that one.

And that a high end Mac can out perform many PCs is pretty much exactly what I said, because Mac's can't match a high end PC, so sure, you can outperform mid-grade PC systems with a high end Mac, Mac doesn't offer a system that competes with a bleeding edge game system.

Plus, Macs look far superior in almost every aesthetic way, and everything is very tidy and organised, if you need to do maintenance on a Mac, every single cable will be tied and organised, and I haven't seen too many Laptops with suspension.

First off, thats entirely subjective, second I have to disagree. You can customize your PC to look any way you want because you can build it yourself. Mac's give you a pretty little list of options to customize your system with pretty colors of plastic. A PC you can choose for yourself exactly wha case you want from among thousands of possible models and you can pretty it up with all sorts of internal kits.

Myself, I have a gloss black tower with chrome/silver trimmings and a clear side. Blue LED fan lights and chrome highlites inside. (even my Ram has Chrome heatsinks) And don't forget the chrome modular powersupply (so there are no extra cables sticking around) and all the cables I do have are clear plastic insulation on braided silver cables. Very sexy... Add to that a matching black and silver keyboard with blue backlights (+red and purple toggles) and a Black and silver 22Wide. So Color coordinated you thinka chick helped me buy it, but it has that uber geek blue glow.

It beats the hell out of Mac's "choose your color" customizing.

And so you know I'm not bullshitting...

with flash:
[attachment=17378:attachment]

without flash (to show lighting only):
[attachment=17379:attachment]

The rest of the setup:
[attachment=17380:attachment]
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Capt.Drake

Capt.Drake

Rangers Lead the Way

• Project Team
  • 1,851 posts
  • Projects:A new map for Remix Mod
  •  Remix Escalation Alpha Tester ,Camo Artist and part-time Mapper

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

Cool PC Pend, but your desk is a big mess^^

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:49 PM

Cool PC Pend, but your desk is a big mess^^

you havn't even seen the parts I had to crop out... I share the desk with my wife and I can't keep her from piling shit up on it. I used to fight with her about it, but I know when to give up before I get hurt. you've spoken to my wife before... you know what I'm talking about.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:15 PM

And that a high end Mac can out perform many PCs is pretty much exactly what I said, because Mac's can't match a high end PC, so sure, you can outperform mid-grade PC systems with a high end Mac, Mac doesn't offer a system that competes with a bleeding edge game system.

A high end Mac = high end PC.

2 Quad-core 3ghz Xeons with 2gb of Ram and 3 7300 GT's in SLI, all viewed on a crisp 30 inch screen?

I'm not here to argue, I'm just saying your opinion is skewed.

Edited by Alias, 03 October 2007 - 01:17 PM.

#17 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

A high end Mac = high end PC.

2 Quad-core 3ghz Xeons with 2gb of Ram and 3 7300 GT's in SLI, all viewed on a crisp 30 inch screen?

I'm not here to argue, I'm just saying your opinion is skewed.

3 7300GTs in SLI have less than half the performance of a single 8800GTX, for that matter 2 8800GTSs in SLI have less performance of a single 8800GTX. And DX10 more than doubles what you can push through your video card, I've tested it, it lives up to the hype. Mac doesn't offer a match to that, even the bad ass system you described has less than a quarter the video power of a single 8800GTX running DX10 and now consider the Mac OS has no games worth mentioning. The alternative you suggested yourself is to turn the MAC into a winPC so it will play games, isn't that bassackwards? All that money spent on an almost great game system?? If you had a PC with those processors you could load up a 64 bit OS, double or your Ram, and quadrouple your video performance with the latest cards... Or you can duel boot your Mac so it has the option of becoming a mid-grade PC, because no matter how much CPU you have you can't fake the video performance with your CPU... It takes a high end card to get high end performance, and 3 7300s has been sorely outdated for about 3 years on PC.

One of the biggest selling points of the PC is how customizable they are. The MAC hardware lists are miniscule compared to the thousands of options for the PC. Even a single card on the PC, such as the much loved 8800gtx has 15 manufacturers, each with thier own perks. Every indevidual componenet in the PC has an independant devopment market iwth competition driving performance. the Mac does not and for this reason "high end Mac DOES NOT = high end PC" Infact, much to my disgust, Mac even tried to use that against the PC in the marketing campeing... "The PC has too many options and it can be too confusing if you try and build your own system, buy a Mac instead, we cater to the stupid" parphrased, ofcoures, but I promise thats an acurate translation from advertiing bullshit to english.

I'm not a full on Mac hater, but I have absolutly no love for Mac. Now, I'll admit to being a little skewed against them, mostly because of how overwhelming insulting thier TV advertising campiegn has been, that can quickly turn me off any company. But that skew doesn't change the basic facts of high end hardware.

on a side note...
Quad core Xeons is nice, but I have to question only 2 gigs of ram?? with a 64bit OS you could have a whole lot more ram. Thats not an anti-mac thing... just in general, if your spenidng that much on processors I would just expect alot more ram. Server grade CPUs just seams silly if nothing else in the system is up to the same standards, all the performance is lost. Also, on a practical note, multiple cores/cpus is only effective if you are running as many major proccesses as you are cores. 99% of all programs are single process, so you'll only get the performance of a single Xeon core, and the other 7 are wasted. This is the very reason I settled on a duel core instead of a quad when building my system, save money but keep comperable performance (1 core for games, 1 core for OS). Until the software designers begin truely breaking thier programs into several independant processes the extra cores just don't add up to thier worth.

I expect over the next 3-4 years developers will catch onto the trend, but by then I'll be ready to buy a new system and I'll be able to judge the multi-cores vs multi-process apps again then.

(dedicated servers being the excption, as they actualy run that many processes, but how many of us use those at home??)

Posted Image

Edited by Pendaelose, 03 October 2007 - 02:08 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:54 PM

3 7300's == 1 8800 (4 would be marginally better). Plus the fact that it's cheaper (quite a bit). DX10 is overrated, at the moment, any DX10 capable game will run just as well on DX9. More than 2gb of ram and it's just a waste of money. You really never use more than 1gb (only time would be during a very high-resolution render or similar). Contrary to popular belief - it IS possible to modify your Mac, and since it's far more tidy in the case, it's simply a case of unscrew, unplug, take out, put in, plug in, screw in.

#19 Pendaelose

Pendaelose

Remix3 Modder

• Hosted
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

3 7300's == 1 8800 (4 would be marginally better). Plus the fact that it's cheaper (quite a bit). DX10 is overrated, at the moment, any DX10 capable game will run just as well on DX9. More than 2gb of ram and it's just a waste of money.

3 7300GTs may equal a 8800GTS, but thats not half the performance of an 8800GTX. S to X is a huge jump in performance. The numbers match up to what I said in my mprevious post about card performance.

Go check some bench marks, in 90% of tests even 2 SLI 8800GTS can't measure up to a single GTX. And as I have both DX9 card (6800 ultra) and a DX10 card(8800GTX) (in seperate PCs) I can tell you that DX10 and DX9 are not the same. their is a VERY distinct visual difference when you enable DX10. It makes a difference. You can get alot more on screen. Most games that support DX10 right now run everything options, but if you turn them all on you have up to double the pollies on screen with much more developed lighting effects. DX10 is not over rated.

You really never use more than 1gb (only time would be during a very high-resolution render or similar).

actualy you do if you play your games in 1680x1050 with full visuals turned on and 4XAA(or higher) Stalker uses more than 2 Gigs of Ram when maxed out. Company of Heros, Crysis, and Hellgate:London (all DX10 games) use even more. Personaly, I have 2.8Gig of usable Ram (4Gig physical) plus another 768Mb on the Video card, and I'm seriously looking at upgrading to the 64bit OS just so I can use more.

Contrary to popular belief - it IS possible to modify your Mac, and since it's far more tidy in the case, it's simply a case of unscrew, unplug, take out, put in, plug in, screw in.

a PC is as tidy as the person building it, so you can't say how tidy all PCs are. Slobs have messy PCs, neat freaks can cable tie all they like. and most coprerate groups have thier own solutions. I repair Dell Optiplexes all day at work... they have a front hindged cabnit that seperates the drives from the MOB when opened... ALL the components are on speed rails, I can (and DO) change CD Roms in under 30 seconds, and an entire MOB can be swapped out in under 3 minutes ebcause its on a tray. Powersupplies (including the screws) take only about 60 seconds. I slap the case shut and I'm done. I do these swaps every day, so the idea that Mac has a monopoly on "tidy systems" is a load of crap, and I think your eating out of Steave Jobs's ass if you beleive it yourself.

Now, your "clean" Mac interior will start to look cluttered up too if you swap out your heatsink for a larger set with a thermal controlled fan, if you add an 8800GTX (you can't, but lets asume next year you can) then you'll have 2 power cables going to it. If you add 3 more HDs and an extra CD rom you'll have extra power cables and SATA/IDE cables running around...your system will start to look a little cluttered, just like anybody else who adds that much to thier system.

Sure... you can upgrade your Mac... but you can't use 90% of the market simply because hardware vendors don't support Mac drivers, and the Mac OS has zero support for plug and play on the mass market of internals. But if you do your homework I'm sure you can find hardware that can go in it, such as the older 7300 video cards.

One more EDIT addition... Just as I said in the very begining, If you not playing games that come out next month then all this crap really doesn't matter. Mac is just fine for word prossesing, surfing the web and making love to overpriced IPod/IPhones.

ZeroHour can be played on a laptop with a 1.6 celleron and a mobile-GoForce2 video card and 512 Ram, I'm sure it can be played by a Mac running a windows emulator, or what ever. But if you want the newest shiniest games, with all the bells and whistles turned on PC is the only option.

Edited by Pendaelose, 03 October 2007 - 03:57 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Phoenix911

Phoenix911

• Project Team
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

look lets all agree to this there are mac lovers and there are mac haters.
As much as u say u not hate mac pend we all know from your points that you love pcs ;)
Just like me....

But most mac lovers are like fanboys for games there is no talking sence to them so why bother?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users