41 replies to this topic

#21 wilmet

wilmet

muscles from brussels ?

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

I guess it depends on what you want...

something that looks like a workyard like OmegaBolt says, something that looks like a sort of bunker/frontpost, a building that looks like a generals HQ or a a soviet style block like those in Moscow etc... :p

-------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by wilmet, 05 October 2007 - 10:03 PM.

apologising to the world on behalf of my country for the existence of Brussel sprouts and Jean Claude Vandame

"I'm not retreating, I'm just fighting in another direction" (anonymous US corporal, Korea)

work is sacred...so don't go near it.

#22 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:53 PM

Well, let's look at the Evidence shall we?

D-Day uses much of the same style Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, and to some degree, Tiberian Sun. Realistic, usefull, with most thought on functionalty, not looks. i.e. it's a factory.

D-Day uses ConYards. ConYards work like this. Packet Comes. Crane lifts Packet into hole. Hole swallows packet. All ConYards in D-Day must therefore have Cranes, holes, and somewhere for the Packet to come from. Where the packet comes from is the main part of the ConYard, with administrative (RA,TS) or industrial sections beside it (TD)

They are deployed from MCVs- MCV are Trucks that early in their development period. Therefore, the ConYard must grow from a Truck.

There are your demands: Factory with crane and hole, that can easiliy be deployed from a truck.
Posted Image

#23 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:24 PM

Actually I don’t particularly follow the typical C&C style. My plan was to have bunkers that built next to the MCVs (look at the old German conyard).

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:16 AM

Ah, yes. Unless you plane to change that too, my other points still stand. Crane!
Posted Image

#25 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

I'm not going to add huge cranes to move a little box 3 feet into a hole. That’s just pathetically inefficient TBH, I’d rather go for something a bit more realistic & a lot less time consuming to make for little results.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#26 Naruto

Naruto
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

Posted Image

How about this! as ur guideline for making ur german V3 Launcher. I dont know if you will use this, it might help you :good:

#27 Gamemate

Gamemate

The former weird guy

• Hosted
  • 1,443 posts
  • Projects:Drinking coffee
  •  Floating about

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

The detailing is well done. I only have one critique, it is just minor but still. The left chimney does not seem to cast shadows on the walls, not enough at least.

Are you going to make a short guide for making buildings, just like you did with the voxels? Would help a great deal of people.
If people were more constructive with their comments, then this place would be more enjoyable
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

It has a shadow, I can make it darker in a few clicks tho. I normally set shadows to 25% opacity but I guess it should be a bit darker. I could make a guide thingy but unlike voxels I never really know what I’m doing with buildings & just bodge some random stuff together which could make it a bit difficult to put a guide together XD

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,918 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:37 PM

the V3 is a stupid thing from RA2, the V2 launcher looks ok but i imagine more as a offsite ability (like a-bomb drop)

as for building designs, i'm sure mig has plenty of inspiration from games and other real life photos and so forth so need to bombard him with images of stupid CNC game conventions when he is making such a awesome TC
Posted Image

#30 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:22 PM

I appreciate any good ideas ppl put forward, I cant think up all possibilities after all (wilmet’s post was useful, gave me some ideas for the tech lab)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 wilmet

wilmet

muscles from brussels ?

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

>>New Moscow - 1938<< :blink:

just for laughs

Edited by wilmet, 07 October 2007 - 05:16 PM.

apologising to the world on behalf of my country for the existence of Brussel sprouts and Jean Claude Vandame

"I'm not retreating, I'm just fighting in another direction" (anonymous US corporal, Korea)

work is sacred...so don't go near it.

#32 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:48 PM

ROFL reminds me of Hitler’s plans for post-war Berlin :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:16 PM

I think it would be best to rework the current Soviet warehouse looking thing into a hangar. Also, a critique. You have pitched roof buildings, but your shadows don't reflect this. The one for the conyard itself should have an angle to it something askew... And the warfactory should have one that is 'cut short' due to it's pitched roof being in the opposite direction.

Otherwise, great work.

As for conyards. Well, it's easy to establish how they should look once you determine what they are. Do the MCV trucks deploy into them, or deploy to build them then stick around (perhaps in a form where they can't continue to build them). If they deploy into them, you should have a garage, netting or whatever with the vehicle inside. If the building incorporates the vehicle itself, you should have the hulk left behind...

Now, you want the conyard to be a conyard, obviously, more than just a general purpose looking crate shuffler. So you'd need palletes with building supplies on them, a fence or barricade to keep out robbers of said material and stores of oil or whatever to provide for the men who work on the base and the motor pool.

I also think a small command bunker, trailer or even tent would work well, since this is the primary building in your base, and the most likely place battlefield command will be until radar or a tech lab is set up.

What I'd really like to see is individualized structures dependant upon faction. Like the Americans get a motor pool instead of a factory (which decreases their vehicle build time), since they fought nowhere near their industrial hearts, unlike the Germans or Russians. Maybe the Germans can still get a bunkered up conyard... The Japanese could have light mobile buildings or cloaked ones. All kinda of little functionality nuances.
Being a total douche.

#34 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:55 PM

II was hoping no one would notice the shadows, I’m pretty lazy when it comes to them XD I might fix them depending on how energetic I feel.

The Conyards build up around or next to the MCV, if you look threw the window on the roof of the above Conyard you can see a Voroshilovets :p

I’m making individualized structures for each side now, these ones being Soviet. For America I was thinking tents & sandbags, the British & French painted brick, the Germans concrete bunkers, the Japanese tents, sandbags & bunkers & lastly I’m still thinking about the Italians (as usual).

Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:31 AM

lastly I’m still thinking about the Italians (as usual).

Something overly decorative or slightly church-like? I know Mussolini was big into arches.
Being a total douche.

#36 Indigo

Indigo

Firestarter

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

Will those two little factory doors open when tanks come out?

#37 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

Yes, the roof opens when you build fighters & helicopters too.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Indigo

Indigo

Firestarter

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:09 AM

Wait, there was a hellicopter back in the 40's? lol.

#39 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:42 AM

There are five helicopters in D-day, all but one are used post-war tho. The Americans where the only ones to use them operationally during the war & then only for search & rescue missions etc.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

I should point out that these buildings & the others I made (well maybe not the Warfac) will no longer be used. The RP2 custom foundation feature means I’ll be redoing all the buildings I’ve done.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users