New Maps

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Nolis

Nolis

Panathinaikos for ever...

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Projects:Battle for Heaven and Hell, Return of the Eldar, Evil Mod II, Inheritance Mod, Taralomian Assault(on hold)
  •  Mapper & more than basic coder

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Can you rate my new maps please?

Stark Mountain:
Stark_Mount..jpg

Green Lake:
Green_Lake_copy.jpg
Cower at the Arrival of Death

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

.:.('.').:.

I was born to be the best, No1 and nothing less...

Jobs in modelling and skinning availlable in Battle for Heaven and Hell.Click here to join.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Deathbringer

Deathbringer
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

Green lake is very nice, i would say 8,5.As for Stark mountain i would say 8 again.I like green lake more.

#3 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:35 PM

Nolis,

in Green lake you should make the difference between water and ground be smoother. Add some sand for instance and some waterplants maybe.

in Stark Mountain you should think of new strategic positions. Two hills of steep rocks won't create much of sneaky assaults and ambushing etc.
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#4 Deathbringer

Deathbringer
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:09 PM

He is right.Anyway very good maps.Keep up the good work.

#5 Guess Who

Guess Who

title available

• Project Team
  • 969 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The East, Project Siege
  •  2d Artist, Modeller, Skinner, Binder, Basic Coder, Learning Animating, mapping, fx coding.

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:12 AM

Meh? Very unique imo except the mountain.
Posted Image Posted Image
My current projects: Wars of The East, Project Siege
--------------------------------------
99% Fat Free.

#6 MajorDima

MajorDima
  • Project Team
  • 89 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E Beta tester
  •  Mapper

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:16 AM

Well, theres too much use of 1 texture in both of them, the lake needs smoothing, the design of the mountains and roads needs improvement too, I'd say 3/10 for the first one and 5/10 for the second.

#7 Dre@mer

Dre@mer

Maker of the Rise of Sauron mod

• Hosted
  • 475 posts
  • Projects:Rise of Sauron mod, RJ ROTWK
  •  Mapper, scripter, video maker.

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

i agree with majordima. But if they're your first ones then it's not that bad.

#8 Nolis

Nolis

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Projects:Battle for Heaven and Hell, Return of the Eldar, Evil Mod II, Inheritance Mod, Taralomian Assault(on hold)

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:01 PM

I have made about 10 maps (in my first 5 I didn't know that texturing even existed :) ) Now I'm trying to improve at texturing...
I made both of them at about 1:30 hours...

Well, theres too much use of 1 texture in both of them/ the design of the mountains and roads needs improvement too

These are the things I'm trying to improve right now...

the lake needs smoothing

I thought it would be more natural that way...

Edited by Nolis, 08 October 2007 - 01:08 PM.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

Jobs in modelling and skinning availlable in Battle for Heaven and Hell.Click here to join.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Nolis

Nolis

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:47 PM

I changed some things:

Green_Lake_changed.JPG

The lake doesn't look like that in-game, it's probably because of the height.

Any tips about the design of the mountains and roads?

Edited by Nolis, 08 October 2007 - 03:28 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 MajorDima

MajorDima
  • Project Team
  • 89 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E Beta tester
  •  Mapper

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

Roads usually have some dirt texture or some kind of stone texture around them, also the road in the 2nd map is too circular, try to put some more intersections arriving from 'outside' the map.

For mountains first choose 2-3 Elvation Levels [If its a short mountain do it e.g 50 1st and 100 2nd] with the tool next to lower or raise, it will look like a wider base and from it there should be some sort of a higher base but narrower, then use the raise and lower tool to create the mountain, and to finish it up use the smooth tool on areas which seem either too sharp or too stiff.

Also, try working more on the texturing part, it seems like you use 1 texture for an entire area, use smaller brushes and vary with diffrent textures, diffrent types of grass and flower textures, dirt near roads, if you want some inspiration check out the EA maps to see how such an enviorment should look like.

Lastly don't be disappointed about some criticism, for a first map its nice, and I think you got some potential to be a better mapper.
Btw mappers usually work some time on a map, 2 maps in 1:30 hours is insane :p a good map is a map in which time is invested in remember that.

#11 snoopyzero

snoopyzero

title available

• Project Team
  • 256 posts
  • Projects:RA/TDH-Mapping
  •  Style than Talent

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

you definetly should use much more textures, trees and objects, search for the smooth high tool and make the lake look nicer with it.
i would give you 5 of 10 points but you have potential so i think we'll hear something of you in the next time :p
Posted Image

#12 Nolis

Nolis

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'll make a new map where I'll try some of them and I'll post it here...

Lastly don't be disappointed about some criticism

I made this post to learn so I don't care about critisism...it will probably help.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:20 AM

Also, it looks to me like a stagnant river than a lake... Perhaps make it a little less narrow and more 'lake'.
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#14 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts
  •  Coder/ini/FX writer, Skinner

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

You need to go for more realism, your texturing is in patches/blobs and dont blend together very well-instead of having blocks of texture you need to spend more time looking at pictures of like grassland or looking at Eas maps to see how much the textures vary, but its definately got potential so keep it up :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Nolis

Nolis

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

Also, it looks to me like a stagnant river than a lake... Perhaps make it a little less narrow and more 'lake'.

I did that to make it a bit different than the common lakes...

You need to go for more realism, your texturing is in patches/blobs and dont blend together very well-instead of having blocks of texture you need to spend more time looking at pictures of like grassland or looking at Eas maps to see how much the textures vary, but its definately got potential so keep it up

I know what you mean and I have looked at EA's maps. Now I'm making one to test some things in texturing, making mountains and roads and probably I will post it when it's finished...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Nolis

Nolis

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

I finished it... Please I want comments...

Test_finished.JPG

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Taralom

Taralom

Self-proclaimed A**hole

• Project Team
  • 1,519 posts
  • Projects:Turned to Writing
  •  I R GOOGL'd

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

as far as i can see you've improved with earth going into water and all. Though it looks like that patch of dirt stops the river from flowing and after that the river continues. Bit strange. The mountains look funny :lol:

could you make a screenie from a different view?
If the above post offended you in any way,
please take note that, until further notice, I don't care, so get lost.

#18 Nolis

Nolis

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

I don't want comment's on how the map is, I want comments on the textures and the mountain design(not texturing).

Test.JPG

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Deathbringer

Deathbringer
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

Textures are very good.They are /)*)(^^$%?. but they look nice.

#20 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

You're developing a good style of texturing.

The rock textures don't really match IMO. The grass does look alright though, though textures always look better in-game, as you have the macrotexture, shadows and clouds mixing things up. So you may need to work on your choices of texturing a bit. Try to stick to a region (or a couple if they match) if possible.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users