some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:24 AM

well, as long as gandalf lets me be able to slip through their shields
(which is what i had planned with the dimensional phasing), then i should be ok

my ships aren't very big, normally, so it seems fair that they should be able to.
no other weapons seems a fair trade of for that ability too

so, am i accepted? cause i want to start lurking around :)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:09 AM

So is true. They derrive great pleasure in pain and misfortune of others, they have shields, the dreadnaughts have 4 shielding layers, while all else has one or two. They have weapon systems similar to the Asgard in the last season of stargate (For those who don't know: pulse lasers, lasers, missiles, mines, shields, etc.) I plan that the domain will wipe out or take over half the galaxy before a simple thing happens to them. That simple thing is actually a virus, or rather I should say a computer virus.

This virus will remain dormant among the domain ships, and transfer to their entire network via their corralative updates. This will render all of their computers, navsystems, weaponsystems, everything basically aboard their ships except life support useless.

For the virus to be completed, it would take several components, which would most likely take all of our factions best scientists to complete this. Unfortunately, Darth Pyth is no longer present within the RPG, so his faction will die. The Lumiarans will somehow make contact with the rest of you, probably by hacking the Domain network, finding the Fonai, and we'll go from there, or something. We'll figure it out.

And SWG...add weapons. Seriously.

Posted Image

#43 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:26 AM

so you wont let my small ships pass through the shields?

i guess it could sorta count as projectile weaponry, as i had planned that little pods pass through the shields, and land on the ship and release drones which begin to.. well eat the ship, integrating the technologies, and knowledge, etc
(KRONOS likes tech and knowledge :) :) )

Edited by some_wierdGuy., 03 January 2008 - 06:34 AM.

Posted Image

#44 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:04 PM

Lol, sounds like the replicators.

If any ship should be able to pass through shields, it wouldn't be large. It would have to be in fact quite small, and carry with it a shield disruption grid generator. At that, it would have to be tuned to the perfect frequency of the enemies' shields to penetrate without having any difficulties. Projectile weapons in themselves are fine, like railguns and missiles and whatnot, but this is space aged technology, for all races. You can be more advanced than simple projectiles if you wish.

I'm not saying you can't penetrate the shields, I'm saying that it would be difficult. You'd want to render the shields inactive and THEN board the ship. :ohmy:

Posted Image

#45 Beleg

Beleg

title available

• Project Team
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

Well, sorry to jump in this conversation, but is Belegrium accepted?
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature
Posted Image
"Tell a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
>>Political Compass<<

#46 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

Lol, sounds like the replicators.

yeah, i really like the idea of those awesome looking metal spiders that eat ships

who could say that isn't awesome?

I'm not saying you can't penetrate the shields, I'm saying that it would be difficult. You'd want to render the shields inactive and THEN board the ship. wink.gif

they could have a shockwave generator, that disables all ships in the shockwaves radius(including the ships life support and shielding), but this has to be charged up, and while its being charged, the ship using it cant engage any other systems(so cant move or even activate shields) and stays immobile even after the shockwave has been released, for a while.

also i was thinking maybe they could steal other races ships(to eat, just like the replicators in stargate), or scan them and morph into a likeness of them

also, i wanted it to be that they are resistant to most forms of energy weaponry, except on certain frequencies

is that ok?

Posted Image

#47 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:45 AM

A shockwave how? Most ships' shields protect against shockwaves, be they EMP or otherwise. That's kind of why they're 'shields'.

(And yes, Belegrium is accepted lol. Sorry to forget about it like that lol)

Posted Image

#48 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:14 AM

yes, thats why the shockwave disables them, if it was an ordinary shockwave, then what you wait would be true, but it is a disrupter shockwave,

thats why it has to charge up for so long, to overload the shields, ect

anyway, im guessing that all the other questions i have asked about are fine then?
(so i can be resistant to energy weapons)

Posted Image

#49 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:36 AM

Shields wouldn't be overloaded, they would change to compensate (or at least Lumiaran shields do).

At that, a shockwave powerful enough to do any serious and lasting damage, let along bringing down shields, would require an immensely powerful energy source. Either that or some kind of energy buffer that would store the power in a nexus, which would then generate a short-range linear 'pulse'. A buffer that size would require other systems on the ship to be reduced, reducing the overall effectiveness of the ship on the whole. Any ships would also be able to almost immediate pinpoint the source of the energy, directing their firepower on it. No, buffers cannot hold power for more than a few minutes, enough to power up and fire, but not to store on voyages and ready for use. And also no, the buffer can overload, no matter how many safety precautions you have on it. The amount of raw power necessary to compensate your idea of rendering shields useless would basically throw all safety measures out of the window.

Trust me, go with lasers :xd:

Posted Image

#50 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:02 AM

At that, a shockwave powerful enough to do any serious and lasting damage, let along bringing down shields, would require an immensely powerful energy source

such as the energy you could aquire through trans-dimention abstraction? :xd:

also, how you said about compensation, that was how i was thinking it would work, the shockwave overloads the shields by tricking them into over compensating, which then makes them overheat/overload/whatever, and shut down

No, buffers cannot hold power for more than a few minutes, enough to power up and fire, but not to store on voyages and ready for use.

it has to shut down all other systems when charging(so shields, cloaking, engines), and it cant be held for later, it has to charge and be released, like you said

if you are dead set against my shockwaves idea

can i have a freqency burst, that lets me hack into the system, so i can get data like what freqency i need to pass the pods through the shields

cause i want my team to not be the kind that uses big lasers, to blow stuff up, i want them to eat the ships from the inside,
untill eventually they cripple the ship, and then take it apart/intergrate it,

that was why i had the shockwave, you said it would be really hard to pass through the shields(in other words you weren't going to let me do it) you then suggested rendering the shields inactive and boarding, which is why i thought up the shockwave, now your saying i cant do that either

also, i have though that maybe for weapons i could take over other races ships and wepons, and intergrate their tech, or scan their ships and morph into a likeness of them

after all, KRONOS has just waken up from a very long nap, all sorts of new weapons and stuff that he might like to take may have developed

Edited by some_wierdGuy., 04 January 2008 - 06:19 AM.

Posted Image

#51 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

Scanning the weapons wouldn't allow you to create copies of them. Besides that most ships have scanning inhibitors aboard to prevent just that.

What I meant about rendering the shields inactive would either require A: You hammer on them until they just can't hold up and fail. Or B: find the shield frequency that they are operating on and modulate weapons to match, essentially rendering the shield useless.

The latter of the two )B( would be near impossible unless you have someone aboard the other ship inside the engineering room to give you the shield frequency OR you modulate your weapons and find the appropriate frequency through hit and miss. The latter again would be impossible, as there are hundreds of frequencies a shield could modulate on.

Your best hope would be overloading the shields, not with a shockwave, as a single burst is kind of a godmod and most shields would be able to take it UNLESS, and I will say this, UNLESS this is your ONE super-weapon which would be limited in uses. Lumiara's in development of something not quite similar to firing a black hole, to give an example of a scale of the 'superweapon' level.

Posted Image

#52 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:17 AM

so wait, do we all get a "super weapon"?

and by limited uses, how many are we talking?

anyway for my weapons i will have a disrupter beam, that can disrupt ships systems, so instead of destroying a ship when it has a direct hit, it completely shuts it down (including life support)

but it has to shut down the shields first

pods which can release drones into ships, also used like land mines around some occupied planets

is that ok?

Scanning the weapons wouldn't allow you to create copies of them. Besides that most ships have scanning inhibitors aboard to prevent just that.

ok, if you don't want me to copy the weapons, thats fine, but can we still have it that they morph and look the same as the ship, as really they can morph into different shapes

i mean, they can go invisible, so why not make it look like another ship

you modulate your weapons and find the appropriate frequency through hit and miss. The latter again would be impossible, as there are hundreds of frequencies a shield could modulate on.

KRONOS is a super advance AI, a couple hundred variables would be fairly simple to scroll through, especially with multiple ships covering different frequencies, and the ships can divide, which get rid of some of the more power hungry systems(such as slip stream or whatever its called, and also the weapons would weaken in strength depending on how small it is) but basics like frequency variation, normal engines, etc, would still work at this small size

so how about i make it after a little while pods start getting through the shields and break into the ship

it should add more internal struggle into the RPG,

also, to make it so that my ships cant pass just through your ships shields and kill you from the inside, how about each of my ships has a core, and the rest is built around it, and if that core is destroyed, all drones connected to that core turn inactive, unless another ship can get close enough to 'claim' them back
(and they cant claim back drones if they are behind a shield, as it interrupts the 'claiming' frequency thing)

Posted Image

#53 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:33 AM

Ok, couple of things:

1) Even a super-advanced Artificial Intelligent Lifeform would not be able to go through the..needless to say...hundreds of thousands of permutations of shield frequencies. Shield frequencies can range from 20 mega hertz up into the 1000 mega hertz range. Not considering all of the decimal values, such that a shield frequency of 234.6 could withhold a weapons pulse of 234.7 or 234.5. That being said, that's not even considering if the ship uses varying frequencies in their shields for each different shielding layer, as the Domain have been known to do.

2) Again, with the breaking into the ships through the shields, read #1. Even if they where able to get through a primary layer, most ships use secondary shielding layers on a different frequency, and I mean the Domain have been known to use two COMPLETELY different frequencies, such as 263.8, and 924.7. It would be near-impossible to get through both of these shields before you get blasted out of space.

3) And for the rendering shields useless: overload or a direct hit on the shield generators (Before shields are up of course) are basically your two options, as I've ruled out all possibilities of "boarding' a shielded ship. I suggest either A: Use lasers; or B: Use the method derrived from a straight forward overloading energy pulse, as it can take shields down in one hit, it's a superweapon.

4) Superweapons, and as they are noted Megaweapons, may only be used with my permission at any time throughout this RPG. You cannot simply warp into a system, launch your weapon, have it hit, and leave. That is an utter godmod. So if you use a Super and/or Mega weapon, you have to have my permission. Yes, this would include the shield bypasses.

As for the superweapon question: Yes, every faction is allowed 1 super/mega weapon. The classification will vary depending on the weapon, as superweapons are on the level of planetary destruction (such as a planetary gravitational overload), and megaweapons are more of a fleet or army destruction (such as a nova bomb on a ship fleet). Does that answer any more questions? I don't mean to be rude, but I hate the idea of shield bypasses period. If you wish, we can continue this discussion via MSN, mine would be masternowe@hotmail.com add me. Or we could do this via PMs. Whichever you choose.

Posted Image

#54 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:03 AM

pms are probably easier seen as im on here right now anyway

and ok, i will give up on the passing through shields thing
(sorry if i annoyed you :mellow: )

Posted Image

#55 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:04 AM

Not at all. Now if I could just get a rewrite of your faction with the updated stuff so I can appove it that'd be splendid, as it seems everything should be in order by now.

Posted Image

#56 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:38 AM

i have re-done it, i think its alright

i sent you a pm, i cant remember what was on it now

but if it was anything important, then im sure i would have remembered, so...

am i accepted?

Posted Image

#57 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:44 AM

Faction Name: K.R.O.N.O.S (Kaltesian Remnants Omni Nations Omega System)

Faction Location: Gamma Quadrant

Faction Technology Special: trans-dimensional technologies

Faction Technology: illusion/projection, dimensional phasing/shifting/cloak, transformation, trans-dimentional energy retrieval, hyperdrive capabilities, replicator-like drones, some of the strongest materials in the known universe, disrupter beam weapons, and the disrupter shockwave superweapon

Faction Style: controlled by the 'overmind' which all of them share, they all think as one

Other Information: they have no real 'offensive' weaponry, instead they try to capture enemy vessels, using their phasing to get passed weapons fire, or to ambush enemies,
KRONOS is the only remaining reminder of the Kaltesian Civilization, a humanoid people, with elvin features and taller then most other humanoid races, they are not originally from this dimension

Story: KRONOS is all thats left of the Kaltesians, a race who came here fleeing from a threat in a different dimension, but couldn't escape, so they uploaded all their knowledge into KRONOS, before being destroyed. KRONOS's ultimate objective is to destroy the threat, using knowledge and technology from this new dimension.

That seems fine and in order. Just remember you can't phase around the shields and you're approved.

Posted Image

#58 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:47 AM

yeah, it cant phase through energy protected matter(so things with shields)

Posted Image

#59 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:48 AM

Alright, you are approved ^^

Posted Image