Photo

Copied space factions..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Elerium

Elerium

Road test? Me? But I gotta go save the world!

• Project Team
  • 631 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Temporal Agent

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:50 PM

Personally a great game to me is one that involks creativity among all roleplayers, and as such I really think that for something like this to take off we shouldn't use stuff that's already been put down in other games and stuff, it's much more fun to go with your own custom made faction and story, and develop it from there..

Already I've seen stuff coming up like in another RP of a character calling himself 'Cloud' and in this one 'Taiidan' which is ripped straight from the Homeworld games, so can't people just be original and create our own story? War Games was made directly for having say the Abh from Crest of the Stars and the Dalek Empire from Dr Who cronking each other on the head, but if we want to go for something based on say CCW, we should really get rid of factions which are blatantly copied from other stuff, it'd appeal more to me and others to join this RPG, as well as being a lot more fun in my opinion.

Now say Osean and Lumarian, they're good original factions because I haven't heard of them before which gets me interested as in what is this culture like? what are their spaceships? this interests me, but when people start throwing in the Homeworld universe and the Borg from Star Trek, coupled with the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis then things look seriously wrong. Southsidediablo has the right idea in making his own faction, despite it simply being "The Great Liberation Front" it looks like an original concept from his own imagination, and one which will make fun interactions with the other sides probably by inciting mutinies, rebellion and all that.

Edited by Elerium, 16 October 2007 - 08:56 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 southsidediablo

southsidediablo

ChaChe Rodriguez!

• Project Team
  • 748 posts
  • Projects:V|GO, Apocalypse, The Mullet

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

Southsidediablo has the right idea in making his own faction, despite it simply being "The Great Liberation Front" it looks like an original concept from his own imagination, and one which will make fun interactions with the other sides probably by inciting mutinies, rebellion and all that.

Yeah, i'm not good with names...But that's what I intended on doing.

And I agree with you, hopefully things like the Wraith and copies don't come up.
How can you keep an idiot busy? Click Here to find out....
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

#3 Sigmar

Sigmar
  • Hosted
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:03 PM

I could rename my faction, cause i was gonna make up my own name. but i can switch if some people find it a problem.

Edited by Sigmar, 16 October 2007 - 09:39 PM.

#4 Redcoat

Redcoat

Present! Aim! Fire!

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Projects:Uprising Contributor
  •  Ideas Dude

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

Technically, the name Osea came from the game Ace Combat 5 (and other Ace Combat games), but only the name-- as Ace Combat is set in a completely different timeline and many things are left unexplained about it a lot of things I'll use in my future version of Osea will be original. I may be biased (:huh:) but I don't have a problem with small things like names and shiz, as long as the faction is, for the most part, an original creation, or at least taken far away from whichever show/game/book made it up first.

I do agree on blatant copies though.

#5 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

Amen to that.
Although, to be fair, we do need a certain level of tolerance 'cos obviously people will be heavily influenced by what they've read/seen or whatever.
That said, complete copies are more than a little dubious.
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#6 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:33 AM

Compete copies won't be allowed. Names and shiz I could care less about, so long as most of it's original, I'll let it slide.

Posted Image

#7 Fire Ze Missiles!

Fire Ze Missiles!

Lord High NukeMaster

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • Projects:The Ziggurat generally, Apocalypse in particular.
  •  Refuses to be beaten by Vortigern.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

Fair enough.
Of course I don't look busy; I did it right the first time.
Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
FZM and Vort don't do tag wrestling...but if they did, they'd probably be the worst tag-wrestlers in the world.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Oh for fuck's sake!

#8 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

Compete copies won't be allowed. Names and shiz I could care less about, so long as most of it's original, I'll let it slide.

Then please, tell that Cloud fellow to at least add a different last name to his character, and make up a background that isn't copied and pasted from a FF7 wiki.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#9 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:10 PM

XD True. Will do.

Posted Image

#10 Elerium

Elerium

Road test? Me? But I gotta go save the world!

• Project Team
  • 631 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Temporal Agent

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

Also what are the status on pictures in databases? I don't know about you but personally seeing pictures ripped from other works might be troublesome too. I hate getting on people's back but you know what I mean when lets say I put a Terran Hegemony battleship to look like a Star Destroyer :) I think I seem to be getting on Sigmar's back with these RPG views and I apologise for this.

Drawing them I'd be 100% fine though ;)

Edited by Elerium, 18 October 2007 - 06:17 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Sigmar

Sigmar
  • Hosted
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

Well, to tell ya the truth. i suck at drawing so badly, though my cousin could help me at that, but that would be a burden. so i just use pics of troops that are suitable for my army, or use custom ships not used in any certin Universe.

And its ok Elerium. im sure you want this rp to become its own universe and thats understandable.

Edited by Sigmar, 18 October 2007 - 09:06 PM.

#12 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

I'd eventually like this to be it's own universe. But there's nothing to keep people of from using "look alikes". I figure that the multiverse has infinite universes and that anything is possible. Simple as that. So yes, things from other universes can be here, not in name or complete description, but pictures that are *slightly edited* would work.

Posted Image

#13 Redcoat

Redcoat

Present! Aim! Fire!

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Projects:Uprising Contributor
  •  Ideas Dude

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:12 PM

I agree somewhat with our dictator admin (jk on dictator XD), but you gotta realize that googling something for an image doesn't exactly make the RP unbearable. There's a difference between image-mining the whole Imperial fleet and stealing a bunch of things off Google so your ships actually have a picture. For the record, my ships will likely be drawn by a friend of mine who can actually draw a person's face without making them look like Jason Voorhees unmasked. :thumbsupsmiley:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users