In Defence of Dr. Watson

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:14 PM

Its a bit tough to be happy about the state of science today. Corporations buy our best and brightest, the path of pure research is often overshadowed by the potential for quick profit, and of course, if you do end up going into research, discovering great things, and perhaps winning a Nobel, there’s always the chance you could go somewhat crazy and begin spouting off nonsense on book tours. Yes, Im talking about James Watson, and I dont think its fair how poorly hes been treated.

His exact words were not terribly insane or outlandish, but were certainly quite offensive. Unfortunately, what he says is somewhat scientifically plausible; there is no reason to assume that mental faculties would be selected for identically across the globe. However, that conceded, it is not at all reasonable to assume that, as Watson apparently has, Africans have less mental faculties. Watson simply has no evidence either way, no evidence for his assumption, and no evidence for, well, anything associated with what he wrote or said. That said, we are talking about a Nobel Prize recipient, someone who contributed something to human knowledge which is truly monumental.

But the poor guys clearly let it get to his head. At eighty-seven years old, James Watson has braved public appearances for forty five years since the Nobel Prize was awarded, and unfortunately, his brain has turned into goo. Personally, I mourn the passing of such a great scientist; he was one of our best and brightest, and now he simply travels around the world saying ridiculous things and making a fool of himself, and even science as a whole. Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time he’s done such a thing. For the last ten years, James Watson has travelled the world making expertly assertions about genetics as if discovering the structure of DNA gave him special insight into how it works… everywhere, in everything. Hes been a liability to scientific credibility since he first started blathering nonsense (Hes tackled obesity, Cambridge University staffing decisions, abortion, homosexuality, and sex drive with, well, differing degrees of incompetence) and it seems to be time to just stop listening to him.

Of course, does Watson still represent a benefit to humanity and to science? Little known facts; he chaired the Human Genome Project for four years, served as president of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a large set of laboratories working on cancer, neurology, genetics, and medicine, before becoming chancellor, a position he holds today, and has chaired numerous organizations, charitable and scientific. We could discount the poor man as a quack, but; he is possibly one of the most notable biologists of the entire 20th century, he continues to have some form of positive influence on the world, and, despite the severity of his comments, he at least avoids overt racism and is willing to accept when he is clearly incorrect. He may be a racist whose sense of discretion has abandoned him, but he’s still a fairly intelligent scientist who knows when to shut up and go home, and that is the real reason why we should all leave James Watson to his last few years of farmed-out senility. It’s not as if anyone takes him seriously anymore.

MSpencer is a U0 evolutionary biology undergraduate at McGill University. This column was written for the McGill Daily, as well as the Games Nations Play. Comments are welcome and can be sent to spencer.matt @ gmail.com

Edited by Hostile, 12 December 2007 - 04:09 AM.

Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#2 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

The thing that scares me the most: what if he's right?

#3 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:24 AM

He isn't. The only reason that it may seem like it is because African-Americans have been confined to the slums (in most cases) after slavery/civil rights. They can't get out because they can't get jobs. So they turn to gangs and other violent methods and drop out of school. That and that they may also learn with a different part of the brain than Caucasians, Asians, Arabs and Indians use. I'm not sure about Native American or Aboriginese people though...
At any rate, it's not true. The only reason why Africans or people of African descent could be labled as lesser in intellect than other races is because they aren't allowed to reach their full potential, whereas whites are actually given free schooling in most countries. Blacks have as much potential as other races but because of all the gang pressure and other pressures, they drop out of school and repeat the cycle over and over again. I can name a great invention by a famous Afro-American scientist. A food we all probably eat very often. Where would modern society be without Peanut Butter? George Washington Carver invented Peanut Butter. Thank the nonexistant lord for him. Anyways, anyone that thinks that the statement may be true is a racist arse.
I'm creeping, not gone.

#4 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

Oh. My. God. Where would I be without peanut butter? My life would simply not be worth living.

This is more a question of nature versus nurture. Some people are clearly not capable of thinking with the same capacity and intellect as others. This is often a hereditary trait, but there is no reason to suspect it may be racial too. Then again, there is no reason to suspect it is not.

anyone that thinks that the statement may be true is a racist arse.

Rubbish. Anyone who thinks it may be true is someone who is open to believing in the realms of possibility. Do you have any evidence whatsoever, however remote and improbable, to tell us that it isn't true? I would say that anyone who refuses to consider the possibility is a narrow-minded bigot in a world of misdirected and inappropriate 'liberty'.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#5 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

Well, I practically WORSHIP (not really, but you get the point) George Washington Carver for Peanut butter. He made it so I can get quick midnight snacks! He's GENIUS, I tell you! Also, when I used to go to a school for... people of higher intellect in the liberal arts, I had some highly talented classmates of African descent...

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 20 June 2008 - 08:10 PM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#6 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

I've just suddenly and spontaneously developed my own theory on this. I think white people are, on the whole, less intelligent than black people. Black people are the most ancient people in the world, as everyone knows. Humans came out of Africa. Therefore they have had the most time to develop a superior intellect, and are thus the most intelligent. Is that racist too?

Also, when I used to go to a school for... people of higher intellect in the liberal arts, I had some highly talented classmates of African descent...

You had some black friends, did you? Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what racist people say when they're trying to cover it up? And please tell me, how do they select people for this school? I went to a grammar school, which is our British equivalent. You take a test called the 11+ and if you pass it you get in. I got full marks on it, when I was but 10 years old, yet I was far less intelligent than many of the people I met at that school, most of which did far worse than me in the 11+. Then again, equally many were total retards and should never have been allowed in, but somehow were. They then dropped out at 16, or got thrown out before then. Explain how being in a good school means you're more intelligent, and thus why you thought it necessary to mention it.

Edited by Vortigern, 21 June 2008 - 07:04 PM.

I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#7 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

Could you explain your infatuation with peanut butter please?

#8 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

Liking peanut butter is not something that can be explained. Nor is it something that should be tolerated. :p

#9 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

Vortigern, allow me to counter anything you just said. I got into the school by getting taking several IQ tests and showing that I had an IQ of AT LEAST 146 on one, 142 on the other, and 144 on the last (genius). I scored 160, 157, and 162. But I don't go there anymore. My mom, my primary caregiver (moneywise) got screwed in a divorce. Refer to my rant in "Praise our Imperious Leader" in this forum. Now to explain where we originated. Human life didn't start in Africa, from what I know. It started in the "Fertile Crescent." The fertile crescent spaned from Egypt, *through Arabia*, and ends near/around Iran (probably in Iraq). The first recorded human civilization was either Mesopotamia or Uruk (no, not the LotR one).
And about calling me racist... I find that horribly repulsive. It doesn't supprise me that someone would through those accusations at me as people seem to think the opposite of my screen name in every sense save the first word (which is a complete falsehood).

P.S. You can throw all the biological statistics at me in the world but statistics are like polls. Unreliable. Biased. Worthelss. Nothing like good, 'ole experience to fill in the gap. At any rate, there isn't even any proof in either direction save experiences like my own
P.P.S. As I said before, anyone believes in this guy's mad ramblings IS A RACIST. There is always the possibility, though. There's the possibility that Caucasians are inferior to Africans. Most likely, they are equal
P.P.P.S. I made a mistake about who made peanut butter. It was John Harvey Kellogg, but still... Carver found over 300 uses for the peanut and peanut butter

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 06 July 2008 - 08:22 AM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#10 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

You had some black friends, did you? Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what racist people say when they're trying to cover it up?

Yeah I read this too and thought "what an idiot"

According to this person, you're not even allowed to say you have black friends or you're still racist. Realize if you are white, you're racist. Whether you actually are or not is irrelevant.

#11 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:07 PM

P.C. is so pathetic... especially when people distort it's meaning to make it even worse.

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 07 July 2008 - 08:08 PM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#12 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

This thread has outlived its usefulness and has descended from academic potential to being... really fucking annoying.
I don't even want to hear it anymore.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users