#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:28 PM

we've seen the last few months that the internet and cellphone networks have been vital for democratic rebellions. these new technologies have the possibility to make the world a better place. but the problem is that when the rulers understands what is going on, they cut the wires.

the internet was originally a DARPA project to keep communication running even if they lost a city with a server in it. why doesnt this work when dictatorships cut the cables today? most likely because corporations owning the systems wants to have overview over what they are doing.

so basically i thought, what the hell would be the right direction to go to improve this? pirate communication. it shouldnt be as easy as just to throw a switch to blacken a country's communication networks. there should be hundreds of alternative transmitters that could get information out of the country if the main cables are cut. satelite cellphones are an example. mobile and hard to disconnect. a more modern concept would perhaps be the satelite-based router.

the main problems would be cost and distribution. in countries which doesnt approve of not having control over their people's communication capabilities such items=death. secondly, nobody in a poor country can really afford a satelite-based router that probably would cost like 1000$. naturally these routers would probably be sponsored by pro-democracy movements, so it might not be too bad on the populations of the countries.

mobile cell-phone networks which allows people within range to communicate would also be nice, but i'm not too sure how easy it would be for people to hide those away if the oppressors had tracking epquipment. anyway, if anyone has any other ideas about pirate communication technologies i would love to hear about that here. it can most likely save ourselves alot of trouble one day if things start getting hairy.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 narboza22

narboza22

Q6600 :)

• Hosted
  • 357 posts
  • Projects:Tactical Warfare
  •  US supporter to the end

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

Wouldn't any competent government be able to track those by the signals they use and then either confiscate them or kill the users?
Posted Image

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:38 PM

would have thought that the nazi's would have been able to stop all the radios in their occupied lands aswell. but i guess there were too many.

its a matter of resources and priorities. if the military is busy forcing people of the streets, they can't be spending too much time looking for communication devices. the more communication there is the more likely you are not to get busted. besides. the advantage with modern technology is that you don't have to sit on top of it all the time. just hide it at your bad neighbour or in some public building and nobody can blame you.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 narboza22

narboza22

Q6600 :)

• Hosted
  • 357 posts
  • Projects:Tactical Warfare
  •  US supporter to the end

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:50 PM

I would think that its fair to assume that technology has advanced somewhat since WW2. One of my roommate has this thing where he can find his keys by attaching a radio transmitter to them, and then when he loses them, he turns on this cell phone sized box that tracks them down. It cost him something like $20 at Radio Shack. Its a safe bet to think that a government committed to keeping its population in the dark would have sufficient technology to clamp down on things like this, even if its just by jamming the signals instead of tracking the users down.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users