Photo

Warning about Revora Bandwidth Limits...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:46 PM

Hey everyone. Since Revora moved to the Fawkes server, we've got our bandwidth limited again, with 2000 gigabytes. The server won't go down if we bypass it, but we'll pay a considerable amount for each aditional gigabyte.

Since we moved to this datacenter, we knew that we would have problems with this bandwidth in less than a year, although Revora always used an avarage of 1400gb in that moment. In the last billing period (which ended on november 10th), we've reached our record, which was about 1976 gigabytes, near the limit. The vast majority of the traffic is usually used by major mod releases at CnC Guild and The 3rd Age. Other sites like PPM, CNCNZ and E-Studios also consume a considerable bandwidth. Last month, PPM alone used more than 300 gigabytes because of the C&C3 Community Summit movies. In this month (november), Special Extended Edition alone used more bandwidth than the whole CnC Guild (2nd place in our bandwidth usage, with 150gb in 11 days).

One of our objectives here is to support mods to get them released, so we are not saying with this that we won't host your mod installation files. We will, but we can't do it alone, specially if the mod is too much popular like S.E.E.. What does it mean? This means that we kindly ask you to find some mirrors in the community for your mod and divert part of the visitors to download with them. Contact us if you need help with that, but remember that FileFront (C&C Files, EAW Files and LoTR Files) and GameSpy/IGN (Planet CnC and Middle Eearth Vault) are friendly places with Revora and its hosted mods.

For those wondering, we currently pay about 250 monthly to keep the server working. From these 250+, about 100+ come from Google Ads, and the rest comes from donations from members, hostees and network leaders. Aditional 1000 gb of bandwidth costs $100 monthly, which we can't afford at the moment. If you have any suggestions to improve the current situation, we'll appreciate.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#2 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

What about offering a special package called Benefactors. Members who purchase the package get to see a special forum and a status upgrade to a member group called Benefactor or something like that, say something along the lines of $20 a month or something like that.

Edited by Gandalf, 12 November 2007 - 08:31 PM.

Posted Image

#3 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

$20 (£10?) is quite a lot to pay for mod hosting... I can find £3 places and for it to even work, you would probably have to either really make it worth while or take away somethings from the free hosting.

Well I will stop putting all my images onto the CnCGuild server then, and use photobucket or something, though they load really slow though. Could you tell me how much bandwidth "http://apocalypse.cncguild.net/" and "http://omegabolt.cncguild.net/" use in a month?

Edited by OmegaBolt, 12 November 2007 - 07:33 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

ModDB would also be a good alternative to upload your mods & large files.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

PM me some details, I might be able to throw a few quid your way.

#6 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:53 PM

Not for mod hosting, just a special group that get access to their own forum.

Posted Image

#7 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

Not nearly worth $20 :evgr: $2 maybe :good:
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#8 Byakuya Kuchiki

Byakuya Kuchiki

Runs with Scissors

• Members
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

Either way.

Posted Image

#9 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

$20 (£10?) is quite a lot to pay for mod hosting... I can find £3 places and for it to even work, you would probably have to either really make it worth while or take away somethings from the free hosting.

Well I will stop putting all my images onto the CnCGuild server then, and use photobucket or something, though they load really slow though. Could you tell me how much bandwidth "http://apocalypse.cncguild.net/" and "http://omegabolt.cncguild.net/" use in a month?

Don't be naive. Images hardly use any significant bandwidth. 70% of our bandwidth or more is used by big files (50mb or higher). Keep these images at the CnC Guild server.

For your info: Omegabolt and Apocalypse used together less than 5gb of bandwidth from the server in this month, even with a recent mod release, so definitelly not a problem.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users