Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:58 PM

and if we're listing books, the curious incident of the dog in the night-time is a brilliant book that everyone MUST read, right now!

I read it last year, it was pretty good. Not amazing, but it kept me entertained.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#42 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

I read alot... But not the newspaper. I mostly like Fantasy/Sci-Fi books though. Mystery Novels are good too :p
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#43 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

i love the curious incident! awesome book :p

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#44 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

I absolutely hate reading any fantasy novels besides Tolkien. Usually I read first-person books with alot of psychology and philosophy.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#45 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:51 PM

really? i love ready fantasy sci/fi stuff. 2 of my three favorite authors i actually found from expanded universe star wars books (which are actually awesome :p ) I don't really like reading fantasy books in the same specific genre of fantasy (elves, orcs, dwarves, etc), but there are plenty of fantasy books that have nothing to do with tolkien at all.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#46 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:28 PM

I don't read enough. I skim through the paper whenever I have a chance, without reading much in detail, though I keep up with news on the BBC website and sports news too. Most of the time, I like to know whats going on but without knowing the details unless it interests me or I'm bored enough to look at all the links on the BBC News homepage.

Book-wise... been pretty slow of late. Currently reading Freakonomics as well as Word on the Street, and this year I've read The Hobbit, I Know You Got Soul by Jeremy Clarkson, The Book of General Ignorance by the creators of the TV show QI, Pitch Invasion (about the Adidas/Puma feud/history) and probably something else. I'm a fan of the John Grisham books too, which my Granddad introduced to me, and Bill Bryson is great too. Books by a bloke called A Parody are great too :p if they can be called books.

Basically, I go for humour and sport on the whole, and business seeing as that's what my degrees about, with random other stuff too though.

Edited by mh_gollum, 11 December 2007 - 10:30 PM.

Posted Image

#47 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

Lacrosse is the gift of God! 0-----]::::::::::::>

• Project Team
  • 257 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East mapper/ Istari Productions mapper/Realm Forger/Inheritence mod mapper
  •  Mapper,map.ini,modeling,leaning skinning

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

man im changing my sigg now I agree with Fin Ive read the paper all of 5 times in my life and it was for a current event but i preety much read any thing thats good in the teen fantasy section and Ive read a lot of action stuff to now im starting to read more adult fantsy though. Tolkins being the first though. I really like Harry Potter even though most of you most likely hate it. Whats another good fantsy?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:13 AM

batimaeus trilogy is awesome

foundation series by isaac asimov is good for sci fi

artemis fowl isnt bad either

harry's not that bad, just kinda repetetive :p i really suggest bartimaeus, its a wonderful blend of fantasy, humor, and every other fun aspect of reading.

for anyone really big on humor, i would also suggest dave barry's money secrets :grin: funny book

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#49 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

• Project Team
  • 257 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East mapper/ Istari Productions mapper/Realm Forger/Inheritence mod mapper

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

Great :p I already have the first book the amulet of somting or another right? and Ive read the artimus fowel books man it would be great to be as smart ass him. thanks :grin: also if you like artimus then I recommend the book Evil Genius its preety funny and thrilling.

Somebody should re-title this thread "book discusion"

Edited by lacrossman930, 12 December 2007 - 12:42 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

No sex please, we're Dwarves

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  • Projects:The Peninsular War
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:54 AM

I like Harry Potter. I'm not ashamed. I read them back before they got big... met JK Rowling n' all.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#51 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

really? thats pretty cool :p and yes, the first book is the Amulet of Saramkand, the second is the Golem's Eye, and the third is Ptolemy's Gate.

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#52 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

• Project Team
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:01 AM

I read the first one the second year it was out ((dain i sent you a PM :p ))
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

I'll post here what I said...

That source material really really really doesn't work on an RTS, even if I had any faith in you being able to do it.

Dain: Arr Nertea: yarrrr Dain: haharrrr Nertea: graaawwwr Dain: oaaaaaaaarr Nertea: .... honk?

#54 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:35 PM

I read the first couple of harry potters up to #5. Until my sister told me that Sirius black dies, I lost it for good. *note this was before the movies made them all loopy*

But a good book, to me, is Where the Red Fern Grows. Its a classic story of a boy and his dogs, love, tragedy, all kinds of things that are cliche, but done in a great way.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#55 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

Forgive the shameless advertising, but I happen to know a good free fantasy story, still expanding:
here

Anyway, finished "Last Man Standing" by David Baldacci a few days ago (it's a thriller btw, not fantasy), so now I need to get something new...
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#56 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Hosted
  • 1,655 posts
  •  I aten't dead.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

No offence 2play, but that story reads exactly like the commercial tolkien-rip off D&Dish fantasy novels we've just been railing against :) Not that it's a problem for a computer game, but as literature.. well.

I'm reading Cochrane the Dauntless at the mo. Bought it when the author came down the national maritime museum here.. His exploits are as good as fiction ;)

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 12 December 2007 - 04:00 PM.

#57 JEV3

JEV3

Mighty Armadillo

• Hosted
  • 719 posts
  • Projects:Game Enhancement Mod
  •  Coder, Skinner, Graphics, GEM Mod Leader
  • Job:T3A Chamber Member

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

The Redwall series I've always liked... It isn't a sort of cliche magic fantasy, but does have a certain magical element. Most stories have several different plots that come together usually with riddles, bad guys fighting over power, adventures, and of course the necessary siege. You could blame it for being a little repetitive, but it is usually in a different flavor each time... they are only boring if you stereotype every book you read with the other ones. (or if you don't like them) It helps that Brian Jacques has been all over before he started his writing career, and so is familiar with quite a few of the areas he covers.

And I can't believe nobody mentioned "Children of Hurin"... You could come close to the same effect by reading both the UT and the Silmarillion together but it just isn't quite the same as the full narrative itself. My only nitpicks are that the Nargathrond chapter seemed a little, unfinished...

Then theres always the classics you are obliged to read for school, which aren't always a good experience. They are much more enjoyable when you just decide to pick them up and read them out of the blue, however there are some quite good books that I'd never have read without doing it for school... (Animal Farm, Scarlet Letter... I'm not too fond of symbolism/allegory) I read some little excerpts from classic stories I may want to read in my literature book.

I like analyzing things and criticizing areas where they could have been told better, I talk quite a bit about the procedure in movies, and that all started with reading anyways. Literature has more depth though and is more interesting to analyze, although it takes quite a bit more work. I actually feel like I've been missing out recently because I'm reading less on the side and concentrating more on the necessary stuff for school.
He who bears skill but lacks effort, makes himself inferior to those who have no skill but try nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
"There is some good in this world, and its worth fighting for!"
J.M.J.

#58 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm a mythology n00b :) I love all sorts of Mythology, Greek, Eygyptian... But Norse Myths take the cake! Thats probably why I like tolkien so much, his stories remind me alot of Norse Mythology.
Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#59 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

an influence he probably got from beowulf :)

right now im reading on of my various star wars novels ;)

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#60 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

• Project Team
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

Holy cow there are a lot of those star wars books the get like there own to book cases at the barns&nobel up the road from me.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users