Photo

.core files: Useless and big, we are working to stop them from pooping up in the server.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:50 AM

Hey again.

Our server tech has set the server to stop creating these .core files that usually takes more than 100mb each. For those who wonder the purpose of these files, they are crash dumps. So, if the server crashes, it recreates the environment of your site in that file for debugging purposes. The problem is that nobody can be arsed to debug something like that. It is totally useless and too much complicated for any human being. So, if you see these files in your sight, delete them immediately to get some good disk space.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#2 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:16 AM

jnengland has cleared these files from the server. Now we have 102gb used and 116gb free in the main hard disk. The core files were using about 50gb of the server, which was a lot.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#3 Jorg40

Jorg40

<3 REVORA <3

• Hosted
  • 2,284 posts
  •  Zero Poster

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

50gb of core files? :spam: By the way, this is Icetex right, was it the same on the Sawaween server?

Anyway, could you add me to the bar now? http://jorg40.ralert.net/
Probably just 3 lines of code if im correct.

#4 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

hmmm... two lines in two different files :spam:

Added.
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

#5 Jorg40

Jorg40

<3 REVORA <3

• Hosted
  • 2,284 posts
  •  Zero Poster

Posted 22 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

xD

Thank you :spam:

#6 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts
  • Projects:Real Life
  • Job:Retired Leader / Manager

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:36 PM

By the way, this is Icetex right,

It's Fawkes actually. We left Icetex several months ago already. :)

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#7 Jorg40

Jorg40

<3 REVORA <3

• Hosted
  • 2,284 posts
  •  Zero Poster

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

By the way, this is Icetex right,

It's Fawkes actually. We left Icetex several months ago already. ^_^

Solinx

Fawkes? Holy.. man this is some heavy "shifting around alot". Don't remember how long I've been here, but in all that time why don't you keep yourself to 1 server and stay there? :)

#8 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

Icetex was on MM's bedroom in MIT. A while ago, he moved to the other side of the country, so we had to hire a server on some random datacenter. Now he is back to MIT already... but that's too late :).. and he won't be there for long either. And also, he needs a break from having a server in his bedroom...
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

#9 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, I don't know how he can stand it (the noise). We had a server here at home for a short time and keeping it on through the night definetly was not an option, even though it stood in the basement or another far away corner of the house.

It was a pretty crappy old server though :)

Solinx
Posted Image

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

#10 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

I can sleep with my computer turned on. Sometimes I have to do that for huge downloads or uploads... specially when making a backup from hosted sites here.
Project Perfect Mod

Posted Image

#11 Solinx

Solinx

• Undead
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

That server was nothing like a normal computer. I have to pay attention to hear my PC, I near enough had to put in earplugs for the server. :)

I really do hope Icetex was better equiped with noise isolation material or something.

Solinx
Posted Image

#12 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

My dev rig makes the whole room light up and hum (and occasionally vibrate if the fan really gets going.) I can sleep with it powering away :p

#13 Gabriel

Gabriel

Rawr!

• Hosted
  • 205 posts
  • Projects:BYOND games, and staffing on IceForce ^_^
  •  Apparently i'm a coding genius. Both when it comes to BYOND and to PHP. Seriously, a student telling a teacher what to do? Jeez. >.>

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:25 AM

You guys are insane ._. I can barely hear my computer, and the server computer i have next to it makes just as much noise as it does ._.

Btw: Can i also be added to the bar? Been waiting for quite a while =P

Posted Image

#14 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:48 AM

As far as I know there are no core files left on the server. I've gone through and deleted every one of them that I could find. They also shouldn't *knocks on wood* reappear anymore.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users