• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts
  • Projects:Staying Alive.
  •  This place looks familiar. I can't remember why.

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

My BFME II Map, "The Hill of the Gods" had been gathering dust for the past year... However a week ago I decided to brush it off and keep on mapping! The previous beta was a pretty good success, and I have fixed all the bugs and addressed many of the suggestions. I have put together what I think is a nicely working version of week one, and now I only need one thing: Testers to find out whats wrong with it! Balancing is the biggest nightmare when it comes down to a map like this, so I will need testers who are willing to write a paragraph or two simply on the balance and playability of the map.

So, what exactly is this map? A Grassy Hill in the Middle of Nowhere. A God who wants it protected. And you, the commander of a tiny task force charged with defending against countless hordes of barbarians... This map is Single Player, and is VERY heavily dependant on Scripts. While it is not impossible to win, it is rather difficult and will no doubt take you several tries to beat!

Pictures anyone?
Shot 1
Shot 2
Shot 3
Shot 4
Shot 5 NEW

NOTE TO RETURNING TESTERS: The map is mostly the same as the last version, but with alot more balance and bugfixes done.

Do you want to join in the beta testing? Just post here, or send me a PM! Preferred, but not required, is that you either have some experience Mapping or coding. Just remember thats preferred, not required :dry:

Sorry, but all Beta Testing Positions are now FILLED.
These are the terms for being a beta tester:
-You will NOT distribute this map to ANYONE without the express permission of its author.
-You MAY read/modify the map.ini, map.str and the actual map file, providing you do NOT DISTRIBUTE IT!

-Fin

PS: I am no longer recruiting Beta Testers. However, if a Beta tester doesn't do his job (aka fill out a decent beta report) by November 28th, he will be dropped and I will recruit someone else to take his place. Rock on :p

Edited by Fingulfin, 10 December 2007 - 05:17 PM.

Posted Image
--------------------------------------
"You look like a ghost of your former self..."

#2 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts
  •  Coder/ini/FX writer, Skinner

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

i will test if you want, i hav advance knowledge of map.ini so if there are any problems i may also be able to provide an alternative solution
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

Your in! Fast reply too :p

No thanks to the help with my INIs, I can do my own just fine :dry: I'll get you the map files ASAP, I have a few last minute tweaks to put in place before I release it.
Posted Image

#4 Beleg

Beleg

title available

• Project Team
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

I'll do it :p
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature
Posted Image
"Tell a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
>>Political Compass<<

#5 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:08 AM

Sign me up! I was actually planning to drop you a pm a couple days ago to see if you were still working on it. Last time I checked, the private beta of it was on your site under the map section, so you might want to remove that if you don't want it being publicly distributed.

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#6 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:11 AM

Dangit... I used to have an index in there, which would mask it. However after I redesigned my site in December that got deleted. Anyway, I am finishing packaging of the beta, you should get a PM with a Download link soon :p
Posted Image

#7 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:13 AM

awesome! I cant play until saturday though, as I'm on vacation and don't have a decent computer. the last version was pretty fun though :p challenging too....that stupid troll >.<

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#8 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

Lacrosse is the gift of God! 0-----]::::::::::::>

• Project Team
  • 257 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East mapper/ Istari Productions mapper/Realm Forger/Inheritence mod mapper
  •  Mapper,map.ini,modeling,leaning skinning

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:21 AM

ME ME ME ohhhh i wan do it pleasssssse. You gave me that ini for it and it sounds awesome :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:30 AM

Your in! Beta files sent, install them like you would install any other map. Enjoy!

BTW, for the first two of you guys I sent the files to I think I named the PM "Public Beta 2" XD Please note that that was a typo, its supposed to be PRIVATE BETA 2 :p

Edited by Fingulfin, 21 November 2007 - 12:31 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:40 AM

lol :p

I looked over your journal in the map.ini, its looking sweet :dry: cant wait to play.

P.S. by more player templates, do you mean we can be someone other than men and get their respective units?

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#11 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:45 AM

No, I just made it idiot proof :p As long as you put yourself on the spot on the hill and a computer on the top spot, it will work regardless of what team/side you choose.
Posted Image

#12 Beleg

Beleg

title available

• Project Team
  • 564 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:56 AM

I played it. Very good. Lost on the second week. Got past the troll though.

May I suggest that you can use your own, custom, create-a-hero to make it more of you defending it. You can only use men, elves, and wizards though, no trolls :p This makes it more like you defending it.
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature
Posted Image
"Tell a joke and I will sigh and you will laugh and I will cry"
>>Political Compass<<

#13 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

Lacrosse is the gift of God! 0-----]::::::::::::>

• Project Team
  • 257 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East mapper/ Istari Productions mapper/Realm Forger/Inheritence mod mapper
  •  Mapper,map.ini,modeling,leaning skinning

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:26 AM

ok i tested the map real fast and it was pretty fun I made it to the 7th day and got slaughtred but really the way to win this map is picking the right powers from what i could tell. It was pretty fun i give it an 8 out of 10

also good work on the ini :p

Edited by lacrossman930, 21 November 2007 - 01:27 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:34 AM

Remember, you are Beta Testers, not Critics! I don't want to know how good the map is yet, I want to know how it can be improved. What powers were utter failures? What Powers were Over Powered? What Waves were too easy? What waves were too hard?

These are all questions that need answers, and it is your guy's job to answer them :p
Posted Image

#15 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:49 AM

Sign me up :p

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#16 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:39 AM

Yay, Rob's back on board! I addressed most of the issues you mentioned in your last beta feedback report, can't wait for another :p I will PM you the link for the newest version now!
Posted Image

#17 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:37 PM

Double post!!111

I am no longer recruiting Beta Testers. However, if a Beta tester doesn't do his job (aka fill out a decent beta report) by November 28th (A week from today), he will be dropped and I will recruit someone else to take his place.

Cheers,
-Fin
Posted Image

#18 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:34 AM

After 6 or 7 tries, I still get stuck on day 7 :p My observations and suggestions so far:

*I think I mentioned this before, both the heal and veterancy power should be available after each day. I think this gives many more options for the player and they would perhaps use one of them.

* The tower guard summon is pretty much useless. It really isn't worth it by the time you get it on day 5. Maybe it should summon 6-8 of them.

* The wraith still needs some tweaking. Perhaps reduce the HP just a little bit more

* the game is pretty difficult... perhaps you should increase the amount of rangers, knights, and demon uruks summoned from 4 to 5.

That's what I got so far. I really like the wells instead of the heal power. Pretty cool :spam:

Edited by Rob38, 22 November 2007 - 07:35 AM.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#19 Fingulfin

Fingulfin

I Like Pi3. Do you?

• Hosted
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

Finally a good list! Here we go:
1: Veterancy power is still absolutely useless, I am still thinking of a practical way to change it. Also, now that the healing power is "Well" based, it can only be cast twice before you run out of space for it :p As for it being available on a daily basis, that will be saved until I get some more balancing in.
2: Tower Guards useless? Your joking right? Maybe I SHOULD release a strategy guide...
3: Yep, he definitely does. I was just thinking about him tonight... Then I realized that I tweaked his armor when it is his HP that needs editing :spam: I didn't realize EA gave them so much HP... Its insane!
4: No way Jose :) I guess that through all the testing I have done, I have found several strategies that are sure to work so I don't lose many units. Take a look at this, I just finished this match an hour ago:
CLICK ME!
I think I went Archers<Wells<Rangers<Demons<Tower Gaurds<Demons. I am trying to use every single power combination possible, just to make sure it is well balanced.

If you need any tips, just say so and I will PM you a short walkthrough!

Edited by Fingulfin, 22 November 2007 - 08:26 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Nolis

Nolis

Panathinaikos for ever...

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Projects:Battle for Heaven and Hell, Return of the Eldar, Evil Mod II, Inheritance Mod, Taralomian Assault(on hold)
  •  Mapper & more than basic coder

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

My list so far...
1) Wraith is too powerful, it didn't lose any damage and killed everyone :spam:
2) Veterancy could just make all your units lvl 2 or something like that although I don't think it's so useful.
3) In my opinion powers that you use should continue to be availlable (not all of them)
4) You can summon Knights and Tower Guards only once in a while, I didn't like that :p

P.S. when I finished 1st week it said victorious and I couldn't go to the 2nd one... How did you go to the 2nd week?

Edited by Nolis, 22 November 2007 - 02:28 PM.

Cower at the Arrival of Death

.:.('.').:.

I was born to be the best, No1 and nothing less...

Jobs in modelling and skinning availlable in Battle for Heaven and Hell.Click here to join.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users