title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

The Sky has fallen :)
Hi I wanted to start to get into modding, but I don't know where to start off. I'd appreciate if someone could answer a few nooby questions I might have.
  • My first is how do I backup the data first? If I change the extracted files in my mod, how would I play the normal version, like to play online (not likely but you know)? What files do I copy as backup, and then replace?
  • Also can someone give me a few pointers please, like what to start off doing or a few tips. Something challenging but not too hard for a newbie.
  • I've made (well changed and added to an existing) model, but how do I go about doing a skin? How do you know what to draw what where? Skins are all 2d, and I don't know if there's some kind of button to generate the basic guideline for the model. If there is one. Also if there are any plugins/extras I need for what. I have Gmax, Renx and W3D viewer.

Edited by Puppeteer, 24 November 2007 - 08:57 PM.

#2 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

My first is how do I backup the data first? If I change the extracted files in my mod, how would I play the normal version, like to play online (not likely but you know)? What files do I copy as backup, and then replace?

The easiest way to allow you to run the original and your edited version is to, Use the -mod command with your custom BIG file inside your "Bfme Files Folder". To do this, Extract a copy of your INI.Big to a location of your choices, Make all your modifications and edits to this data. Once you have finished with your changes, Simply add this to your Custom .big file you have created with FinalBig.

This way you can also have 2shortcuts, One that runs your original game and one that runs your edited version.

Also can someone give me a few pointers please, like what to start off doing or a few tips. Something challenging but not too hard for a newbie.

Simple, Health or Unit Stats editing is probably some of the most simple stuff to start with. If this is to easy, Try coding some new units in, Editing some Powers or various other stuff....

I've made (well changed and added to an existing) model, but how do I go about doing a skin? How do you know what to draw what where? Skins are all 2d, and I don't know if there's some kind of button to generate the basic guideline for the model. If there is one. Also if there are any plugins/extras I need for what. I have Gmax, Renx and W3D viewer.

Texturing, Is done with a UVW Map. Wich allows you to "Paint" upon it in a Graphics Program(Photoshop, Gimpshop, Etc). Wich you can then add more detail upon. You will need a DDS Converter or Plugin for the Graphics Program of your choice.

Best of luck, Let us know if you have any other questions,
-FlameGuard

Edited by FlameGuard, 24 November 2007 - 09:14 PM.

#3 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

Wow quick response thx.

This way you can also have 2shortcuts, One that runs your original game and one that runs your edited version.

So I edit the extracted ones, and put into a .big file? So the original shortcut runs the original gamedata, whilst I create a shortcut for the .big file? Would the original shortcut automatically run the original though...
Wouldn't that be a hassle to only change say one thing then put into the .big file? Not sure if it's a case of click + drag...

Texturing, Is done with a UVW Map

Yeah I got a .dds plugin (from m@tt), and I've found the option to do UVW coordinates and UVW map, but then what do I do next?
Thx Flame

EDIT: Also how do I merge the gaps between vertices? Where is the option to fill in gaps between 2 vertices?

Edited by Puppeteer, 24 November 2007 - 09:20 PM.

#4 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

Lacrosse is the gift of God! 0-----]::::::::::::>

• Project Team
  • 257 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East mapper/ Istari Productions mapper/Realm Forger/Inheritence mod mapper
  •  Mapper,map.ini,modeling,leaning skinning

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:43 PM

Nice questions Puppet I would also like to know them but nice response Flame guard :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:HP Mod
  •  Im just a guy around these forums

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:05 AM

its quite easy there is 2 ways to place the mod

copying the ini you made and placing it in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II

or naming the ini and making a shortcut on the desktop "and placing the ini in C:\Users\virus of death\AppData\Roaming\My Battle for Middle-earth™ II Files"

and naming the shortcut

target
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II\lotrbfme2.exe" -mod MODNAMEMODNAME.big"

start in
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II"

you dont need to back up anything (maybe make another ini incase of loss hardrive faliure or viruses

#6 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:46 AM

Yeah I got a .dds plugin (from m@tt), and I've found the option to do UVW coordinates and UVW map, but then what do I do next?

You need to take the UVW map in to the graphics editing program, In there you will then "Paint" upon it, Whilst adding detail and such, This will then be saved later in TGA format and applied to the model. You can always use existing bfme textures as references.

Also how do I merge the gaps between vertices? Where is the option to fill in gaps between 2 vertices?

You can try "Collapse" or "Cap Holes".

Thx Flame

No problem, Anything you dont understand feel free to ask about,
- FlameGuard

Edited by FlameGuard, 25 November 2007 - 01:49 AM.

#7 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:53 PM

How do I take the UVW map into photoshop? I click on Modifiers>UV Coordinates>UVW Map, but then what do I do next?

#8 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

You need to select Unwrap UVW instead, Like so.
Modifiers>UV Coordinates>Unwrap UVW.
Click "Edit".
You will see the UVW Map, You now need to take this in to Photoshop or a Graphics Program.
So, To do just click "Print Screen" and Paste(CTRL+V) it in to the Graphics Editing Program.
Then crop it.

Edited by FlameGuard, 25 November 2007 - 01:19 PM.

#9 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

• Project Team
  • 257 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East mapper/ Istari Productions mapper/Realm Forger/Inheritence mod mapper

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

is there a dds plugin for GIMP?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

yes i have one but it doesnt tell you where to install it :(

#11 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:35 PM

If you are using GIMP i suggest you use DDS Converter. Wich will allow you to convert textures from dds format to tga, So you can open and edit them. It will also allow you to convert your textures in to dds format.

#12 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:46 PM

i tried dds and it wouldnt let me convert and im not getting all these wasting crap of nvdia for a dds conversion.

and when i did it still didnt work...

Edited by elvenfury, 25 November 2007 - 05:47 PM.

#13 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

• Project Team
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:59 PM

@ flame do i put it into the plugins folder and thats it or do i need to open it up to change the format i dont understand eaxctly how to use it:(
thx for answering
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

where did u download it i can tell you?

#15 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

• Project Team
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

Ok i installed but now how do i use it?

Edit: nevermind i got it

Edited by lacrossman930, 25 November 2007 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:19 PM

The DDS converter is a simple program, Wich you run, Select wich conversion type you wish to do, DDS to TGA. You then find the textures folder, Select what texture you want to convert, Then click convert.

Its actually harder to explain, Than it is to use. The DDS Converter i linked to. Is not a Plugin, It is a stand-alone program.

It allows you to convert dds textures in to tga (or another) format, So you can then open them in Gimp or another Graphics Program.

#17 lacrossman930

lacrossman930

• Project Team
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

yeah i figured that out thatnks a lot for all the help flame
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Pixel

Pixel

• Hosted
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:48 PM

No problem... :ohmy:

#19 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

the dds converter didnt work it wouldnt let me press convert

Posted Image

and btw i was clicking the converter and also when the name was in the blank list it still didnt work :(

Edited by elvenfury, 26 November 2007 - 08:33 PM.

#20 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

You need to select Unwrap UVW instead, Like so.
Modifiers>UV Coordinates>Unwrap UVW.
Click "Edit".
You will see the UVW Map, You now need to take this in to Photoshop or a Graphics Program.
So, To do just click "Print Screen" and Paste(CTRL+V) it in to the Graphics Editing Program.
Then crop it.

This is what I get on that step on my model of a tower:
Posted Image
What am I doing wrong? I select the model and do modifier>UV Co etc. etc. but that turns up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users