Photo

WOTR in SEE?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DragonLord

DragonLord
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • Projects:Nazgul's Special Extended Edition (Player)
  •  Ruler of Dwarves

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

I was wondering if War of the Ring will be enhanced and/or supported in SEE in the future? I think War of the Ring is a neat feature in BFME2 and would be nice to be expanded upon... :good:

Edited by Nazgûl, 27 July 2008 - 08:14 PM.

Posted Image

The Valar had to nerf Dwarves, or we would of taken over the world before it even began... :D

#2 Wundai

Wundai
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:35 PM

I got this answer from Sûl in another thread :good:

Quote:

I never bothered with it mainly because when i joined there already was no support. To include WotR would mean adding relevant code to all units, objects and heroes, mainly the new units, but the old units would need to get a rework as well. Then is the issue of the autoresolved battles. They should have a very similiar balance as actual gameplay units but that is pretty hard to tackle. Then there is the WotR-coding in general, which i haven't done before and although i am sure it is doable i just have my hands full with stuff that i am much more interested in than that. Then there is the fact that the WotR-AI just sucks. I heard it got better with RotWK but i can't tell for sure. If i start on that, ever, than only after porting to the Add-on, which i am not sure is going to happen. And THAT would be such a big amount of work that i rather not think about it now.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:20 AM

And there you have it. Most likely we won't ever get to WotR. But I realize that it's a bit sad off course since we're aiming for a Campaign, and in the end we would have it all BUT this mode. But, I don't think the work load is something that appeals to anyone of us since we never play WotR... so it's highly unlikely we would ever do it. We have so many other things to do before that anyways, like EvilMen faction and Campaign being the two biggest ones.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:24 AM

Yiieehe! Someone actually quoted me! :good:

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#5 Wundai

Wundai
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

Much Wisdom in your posts *bows* :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Chewy

Chewy
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Digging up another old thread, but hey I'm new here. :thumbsupsmiley:

And there you have it. Most likely we won't ever get to WotR. But I realize that it's a bit sad off course since we're aiming for a Campaign, and in the end we would have it all BUT this mode. But, I don't think the work load is something that appeals to anyone of us since we never play WotR... so it's highly unlikely we would ever do it. We have so many other things to do before that anyways, like EvilMen faction and Campaign being the two biggest ones.

I play WotR!.. Almost daily!.. Matter of fact, I've alreadly been playing with the idea of modding WotR just for me and my friends. I'd definately be interested in porting S.E.E. to the WotR game mode. This would be one area of coding that I could happily contribute to Nazgul. Although it would have to come second to any assignments you gave me for getting S.E.E. up to a "release" version, but I'd be happy to help WotR be included.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now I want you to remember, no one has ever won a war, by nerfing the enemy.
Wars are won, when the other poor bastard gets beat so bad, he has to go and nerf YOUR army!
-Patton (I think) :)

#7 Arthadan

Arthadan
  • Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

If you could make something realistic with EA's crazy WoTR and porting SEE to that game mode, it would we truly amazing!!

I like the concept behind WoTR playing mode, but I hate how EA made it. It's too plain, simple and unrealistic.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

True, I too like the concept but not how EA made it. But it would be way too much work I'm afraid...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Chewy

Chewy
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

I'm thinking it might not be too much if we just say screw autoresolve from the start... It is a time saver when you have a fight that isn't important enough to play a full RTS battle, but then again it would make for a cool (although very long) campaign if you had to fight every battle. I'm currently looking for a way to disable even having the option for autoresolve in the setup menu (leaving only real-time or retreat as battle options). If we just go without it, I'm thinking all I'd really need to do then is setup the SEE heroes for the world map, add the SEE units to the world map buildings, and link the world map territories to SEE maps. After that point, anything else would just be balance and polish. I'm going to try this with the beta 4.5 files I have and present it to Nazgul for approval. What do you guys think?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Wars are won, when the other poor bastard gets beat so bad, he has to go and nerf YOUR army!

#10 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

I wish you the best. :p
If it works, you got to tell me all about it. :p

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#11 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

... how about adding an AI which knows how to build the new units and heroes on the world map? Ain't that necessary :p?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

Best would be an AI that knows how to evaluate the chance to win and choose a strategy accordingly. :p

Edited by Sûlherokhh, 26 February 2009 - 01:34 AM.

#13 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

You know what, let's port the mod to one of the Total War games :p. In all seriousness, I'm wishing you good luck Chewy. Having the ability to play the WoTR-mode, even if it doesn't contain all the features, would be great. How long do you think you're gonna need?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Chewy

Chewy
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

Lol, yeah... AI... :lol:
So maybe no autoresolve and no comp players. ;)
I wasn't even thinking about AI. I gave up trying to lose to the comp a looong time ago (and I have to be trying really hard in order to lose to AI).
I've never even tried to mess with the AI scripts either. So yeah Slayer, it wouldn't have all the features (at least not by my hand), but at least it would be available for multiplayer. So we'd have the kick-ass SEE single player campaign that's being made, and my WoTR contribution would function as a kind of SEE multiplayer campaign (I hope). :p
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

Oh right, you can play it on multiplayer too.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 druchii22

druchii22

WotR Coder

• Project Team
  • 97 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK Beta Tester, Battles of the 3rd Age, some other little mods
  •  INI Coder

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

... how about adding an AI which knows how to build the new units and heroes on the world map? Ain't that necessary :p?

No. In my mod, I added some new units, and IA builds them normally. I think the way IA recruits is depending from autoresolve data (in RotWK at least, I don't know for BFME2). :p

And Chewy, if you need any help, just ask me. I wish you good luck. ;)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Elessar Ancalímon

Elessar Ancalímon
  • Project Team
  • 185 posts
  •  The Patriotic Dutchmen

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

Sounds good chewy:D, i like WotR, but the AI realy sucks..., and making it unable to auto resolve, it would indeed be a multiplayer campaign:d, Good luck:d
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
We must rule the world

#18 Chewy

Chewy
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

Hello all,
Sorry I've been away for a little while... RL and all.
I noticed upon my return to these forums that someone else (Guest_Mouth of Sauron_* ) has addressed this issue as well. Since RL is likely to continue limiting my time here and Guest_Mouth of Sauron_* is considerably further along than I got previously, I'm going to bow out of this endevour. If any one hasn't seen his work yet, here's a bump, http://forums.revora...showtopic=69580.
Awesome work man! More power to ya! If I become more available again, I'll offer you my help (if you need any). In the mean time, I'm really looking forward to playing this. I'm sorry I wasn't able to follow up on this like I wanted to, but I'm thrilled that someone is. Thank you.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users