Photo

Thud, Arkhan: ? about if you would do AI for Gears of War.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Seven_Force

Seven_Force
  • New Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

I appologize if this forum is only supposed to involve threads about DOW-- if you guys need to move my thread or whatever, go right ahead. I know that you guys read this page regularly, so I thought I'd post. Thud, Arkhan, and whoever else works with you for AI projects are EXTREMELY talented. Your AI mod for DOW is beyond spectacular and will keep that game on my hard drive forever, thank you for your hard work. Regarding Gears of War for the PC, is there ANY chance you'd consider doing an AI mod for the multiplayer portion of it? Are you at all familiar with GOW PC? It's a 3rd person action/shooter made by EPIC games and it uses the Unreal 3 engine. It's VERY mod friendly and comes with it's own editor/tools. It was released just this month.

Problem is, the initial release was VERY buggy and was filled with gamebreaking crashes. Also, GOW PC utilizes "games for windows," a system which has also contributed to many people not bothering with multiplayer I'm sure. I'm among some of the fortunate people that can run it no problem, but in order to do so, I had to download the latest nvidia BETA driver-- nothing else seemed to work. I don't know if the first patch addressed that though. As a result of all these shenanigans, I'm unsure if the multiplayer component will ever take off like the 360 version did. See, when it's working and maxed out, it's one of the best playing AND looking games I've ever experienced. The campaign is awesome and with the added levels for the PC ver, it's pretty long for a shooter. The multiplayer is superb as well, but I think EPIC kinda dug their own grave with it you know?

There are no bots at all for the multiplayer-- you can only play with humans. Is there any chance in hell you guys would consider making bots with AI to match for multiplayer? The only way an AI mod would work, seriously, is if it was VERY good and highly customizable. You'd need to be able to issue different orders to your bots and there'd probably have to be some kind of advanced decision making, much like DOW's AI mod. You'd have to be able to tell the AI when/how/when to go for what weapons, when to split up, rush, stay back, flank-- it would be hard I'm sure.

What do you think? Do you know anyone who would consider a project like this if you guys wouldn't?

#2 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

Ah no..

This is about DoW/WA/DC/SS.

Please ask this on the GoW forums.