21 replies to this topic

#1 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

The Titan and Wolverine have been unveiled in a high res render each, a video each and a new gameplay video.

Link

Personally I think the Titan is screaming Battlefield 2142 at me but to hell with it, it looks freaking awesome stomping around ingame - and that's what mechs are all about.
They sound like they've got a decent set of upgrades too.

I'm sure the new design isn't something that will overly please TS fanatics but I think they fit ingame well alongside the Juggernaut.
Sometimes you've got to take liberties to upgrade old units into new engines.

#2 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

Titan is acceptable. Woverine has me going WTF.

It's like taking an BTR 80, giving it a 50cal. and calling it a HMMWV because both have wheels and a 50cal.
Posted Image

#3 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

I dunno really, I don't think it's any less of a Wolverine than the Titan is a Titan.

Small, a machine gun on each arm and a viewport in the middle.

#4 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

Looks ok here. Glad enough to see the return of GDI mechs other than artillery.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#5 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

Yay mechs!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#6 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Grumble Grumble.

• Division Leaders
  • 2,947 posts
  • Projects:The Third War, Ares, misc side projects.
  •  Strategist and Modder
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Leader
  • Association

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

Is it just me or does the Titan's 'head' and turret look suspiciously like the Predator's turret and barrel?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Job Openings with the Guild: Division Staff, News Posters.
Job Openings with Ares: Documentation Maintainer, Active Testers.

PM if interested.

#7 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

I'm not really seeing that personally.

They should certainly share design points as in the world of RTS factions always have a faction style.
All their hardware must be supplied by a single company with only one designer :p

#8 Rentt Redwood

Rentt Redwood
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

The Wolverine bothers me... I don't know. Maybe its just too much Dawn of War...but I think my main problem with its design is that it has longer legs than the old wolverine and its size just makes it not look like you can just walk into it instead of climbing a latter to get to your seat. Its an actual MECH, while I thought the old Wolverine was just heavy armor that someone can step into and use. Kinda like if you guys remember the little video of the GDI testing of their mobile armor on the first C&C. I mean... The Titan I can understand the upgrades like it has...but the Wolverine looks like it was just replaced with a mech and had its name slapped onto it.

So, yeah. That is what I think. If you want to correct me or say something that might help my opinion, do it. I love the Titan, though. I think it looks like what an updated Titan would look like and didn't go away from much of the first design..not by much, anyways.

#9 Feudal_Knight

Feudal_Knight

Pacman

• Project Team
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:43 AM

The Titan... is ok... like people already said it does remind you the original titan... but the wolverine... i hate it.... Its not a Wolverine.... and if you aint gonna redo the thing.. change the name...
glad to see more mechs tho.... i kept wanting them ever sience i was juggernaut rushed by my enemy... and i had alot of defences... man that was awsome... entire sandfield filled with broken juggernauts....

#10 MCV

MCV

title available

• Hosted
  • 737 posts
  • Projects:Uh... I'm writing a NGE/GitS/Lain/Snow Crash crossover fanfic?
  •  Decipherer of Paradox' legal talk.

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

The Wolverine bothers me... I don't know. Maybe its just too much Dawn of War...but I think my main problem with its design is that it has longer legs than the old wolverine and its size just makes it not look like you can just walk into it instead of climbing a latter to get to your seat. Its an actual MECH, while I thought the old Wolverine was just heavy armor that someone can step into and use. Kinda like if you guys remember the little video of the GDI testing of their mobile armor on the first C&C. I mean... The Titan I can understand the upgrades like it has...but the Wolverine looks like it was just replaced with a mech and had its name slapped onto it.

So, yeah. That is what I think. If you want to correct me or say something that might help my opinion, do it. I love the Titan, though. I think it looks like what an updated Titan would look like and didn't go away from much of the first design..not by much, anyways.

Exactly, it doesn't look look like power armour any more. And where did the smooth go?
Posted Image

#11 Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick
  • Project Team
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

The Wolverine looks...odd

Going off memory, it looks like the old Wolverine had the guns forward a bit more

Or maybe going with what Rentt said, it should be more human like :good:
Posted Image

#12 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

EA messed up on the walking speed for the Titan and Wolverine, basically the Titan walks fast and the Wolverine walks slow.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#13 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

The Titan has longer legs.

#14 Rentt Redwood

Rentt Redwood
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

I have to say I'm a little shocked to see that people agree. Anyways, if they want to use that mech...they should just change the name and stop messing with the actual Wolverine! Because I don't think they'll want to change the whole thing, now. *cough*

But, yeah. Still rather sad what they did to the Wolverine, now. Didn't they...like...TALK about it being like a power armor, though? I thought that was what the Zone Troopers were based on its technology. Like it was a scaled down version of the suit, so a person can just wear it.

Not sure about you guys, but I just rather they change the name. Leaving it with that name only makes up go, "...That isn't the Wolverine. " Which I think kinda makes it hard to judge it all together, because you are annoyed how much they freaking changed it.

Got anything to correct, go ahead. I'd like to hear what other people still think.

#15 Daz

Daz

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,654 posts
  •  Revora Co-Founder

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:42 PM

This is what they're forced into doing when the moronic TS fanatics constantly whinge and complain about their mechs being removed.
So EA have been forced to shoehorn units into KW that probably wouldn't have existed otherwise.

C&C isn't Westwood's anymore, people just need to let it go.
EA have every right to do completely what they want with C&C, but they're trying to listen to things that the fans have complained about and rectify them.

The TS Wolverine was an absolute joke, the Titan was decent, but the Wolverine was a box with arms and legs.
Can people stop and consider for a moment how utterly stupid the TS Wolverine would look in a 3d game engine?
(the Titan wouldn't have exactly been fantastic either)

#16 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

I find the new Titan pretty cool though, I think it's going to be fun to play with. The new Wolverine sucks just like the old one did.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#17 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

Lets compare.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I dunno. I feel the TS wolverine looks somewhat better, even despite the shitty and pixelated picture. They don't need to make the new wolverine like the TS one, but the design is sort of bleh.

Edited by Blodo, 02 December 2007 - 10:40 PM.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#18 Rentt Redwood

Rentt Redwood
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

I understand that, Daz. I kinda believe they shouldn't have put the Titan or Wolverine (if you want to call it that) onto the game. Its just going to make more complaining, which has been happening. I'm sure of it. :thumbsupsmiley:

However, it is done. I'm sure they don't want it undone, but I just rather have them not have them name that mech as if it was the Wolverine. If anything...Zone Troopers are Wolverines, now. But, I can live with it being called that. I just hope they will be balanced when it comes out.

#19 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:29 AM

I have to agree blodo, even though the new version s cool. I do like the older one in that pic better. I'm just glad thier back.

#20 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

Well I think that the new wolverine looks so different :lol: and has been replaced completely they should have given it a different name. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users