#1 L0N3 W0LF

L0N3 W0LF

The Guy Who Cracked A Wall With His Fist

• Hosted
  • 116 posts
  • Projects:World War III
  •  The Guy Behind The Specs

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

A Little problem i have with Sections in a particular unit... This vehicle is called "Scorpion"... its the anti-air vehicle for the Red Army... I made a specific HVA file as it uses multiple sections... It looks perfect when viewed in Voxel Viewer and HVA Builder...but the sections appear wrong places in-game.. i have attached 2 previews.. anyone familier with this phenominom? ... help me out...

EDIT: the two pieces at the Left and Top of the vehicle are the problems.. the turret works fine... and ignor the Apocalypse Tanks... they just got in the way...

Attached Thumbnails

• In_game_Preview.jpg
  • Voxel_Viewer_Preview.JPG

Edited by L0N3 W0LF, 04 December 2007 - 05:12 PM.

What Do You Do When Your Crush Diches You?.. I Punched a Brick Wall With My Fist... Cracked The Wall... Also... I Cracked My Fist..
Posted Image
If You Risk Everything... You End Up With Nothing...... Thats Why I Never Risk Anything...

#2 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

Most likely a header problem, don’t believe everything the voxel & HVA programs show you BTW. Why are you trying to join the grizzly & rhino turrets together anyway, you’ll most likely get over lapping problems between the two of them & the missile pods. It’s best to make one whole voxel instead of randomly sticking a few together.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Blade

Blade

title available

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

Agreed, HVA files are for making sections move relative to each other, not to glue together a load or random parts into a solid whole. Thats what XCC mixers convert to text function is for and is partly how me and Cannis made some of the IFV turrets and how Sleipnir made some of his voxels back when RA2 was fairly new.

#4 L0N3 W0LF

L0N3 W0LF

• Hosted
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:02 AM

I actually don't know how to do that... But i really wanted to.. is there any tutorial on how to do that.. I mean, the xcc txt convert thing..

What Do You Do When Your Crush Diches You?.. I Punched a Brick Wall With My Fist... Cracked The Wall... Also... I Cracked My Fist..
Posted Image
If You Risk Everything... You End Up With Nothing...... Thats Why I Never Risk Anything...

#5 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Convert two vxl files to txt with XCC, the copy & past them into one txt file & convert back to vxl. That’s pretty much it, it’s not hard to get the hang of after a few tries.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Blade

Blade

title available

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

The hardest part really is preparing the voxels before the merge. It helps to set the sizes to the dimensions you expect the final voxel to be and to move the bits you want to glue together to where they will be in the final voxel as well. Then when you merge them, the result is what you expected it to look like. You will need to edit the bounds once you've merged them as XCC doesn't save that information into the text files. To be honest I think its quite an arcane technique, I've not seen many voxels that appear to be made using it.

#7 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:50 PM

Actually I use it a lot, comes in handy when doing batch conversions.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 SSTG

SSTG

alive again!

• Hosted
  • 1,270 posts
  • Projects:might just go back to voxeling
  •  just voxeling stuff

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

Might have to remember this trying to make a IFV prism turret
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 L0N3 W0LF

L0N3 W0LF

• Hosted
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:14 AM

Many thank... That is gonna lighten up things for my quite a lot...
but i have a ready made a new "scorpion" from scratch... looks a little better now... but i'll compare both outcomes... and implement thre one that looks better... so wait till my birthday to see a demo of World War III...

Posted Image

#10 TX1138

TX1138

TEXT UNRELATED

• Project Team
  • 866 posts
  • Projects:...
  •  Giant Spectrum Panda

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:11 AM

The text2voxel conversion technique doesn't handle normals well. Which is a pity because that was one of the things that I was trying to get right.
Posted Image

Realism is so overrated it isn't even funny. You already know what happens in reality, how is that entertaining...?

#11 Blade

Blade

title available

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

Yes it does, unless you try and mix voxels that have different normal sets applied to them. For example a TS voxel merged with most of the RA2 ones will look screwed up. However if you use the auto-normaliser to apply RA2 normals to a TS voxel before trying a merge it will look fine.

#12 L0N3 W0LF

L0N3 W0LF

• Hosted
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:59 AM

ya.. i noticed that

Posted Image

#13 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

Not really that important but when you use txt2vxl it also removes the voxels internal pal too. The game & most editors use external pal files so it doesn’t really mater, a few will show the vxl in a messed up black & white tho.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users