#1 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK
  •  2D Art

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:03 PM

Ok, Rob asked me to post this topic. We're looking for a symbol for the arnor faction which has had a lot of exciting developments recently. The main use of this symbol will be for build-plots (fortress expansions and RJ bfme 1 style maps).

So, the competition is to design a concept for this symbol, and the reward, that it will be used in game, for buildplots, and even shields and banners. Your name will be put into the credits of the mod, and the winning design featured in an RJ news update.

This will only last for 10 days, so be quick with the entries :thumbsupsmiley: You can of course enter more than one. They can be in any format you like, computer graphics, or hand drawn on a scrap of paper and scanned. Colour cannot be used for build plots, so make your designs black and white.

Good luck guys!

(Some inspiration if you need it)

Edited by Shikari, 10 December 2007 - 09:04 PM.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2 Gothmog14

Gothmog14

title available

• Project Team
  • 343 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK Beta

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

I would suggest doing something close to the lines of what could be interpreted as Arnor's symbol from Tolkien's works. Here's a quote I found when I Google'd this about a brooch the Dúnedain of the North wore. There is a good possibility that this was meant to be the symbol for Arnor:

A little apart the Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey, and their hoods were cast now over helm and head. Their horses were strong and of proud bearing, but rough-haired; and one stood there without a rider, Aragorn's own horse that they had brought from the North; Roheryn was his name. There was no gleam of stone or gold, nor any fair thing in all their gear and harness; nor did their riders bear any badge or token, save only that each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star.

It seems like an idea is a rayed star. It is also possible the symbol of Arnor was Elendilmir, which was a symbol of royalty in Arnor. It was a radiant white gem set on a silver fillet, so maybe someone can get a design with this. I'm not exactly good at Photoshop / Paint, but I might try doing something like this later.

Posted Image
Thanks to Shikari for the sig
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  •  2D Art

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

. I'm not exactly good at Photoshop / Paint, but I might try doing something like this later.

That doesn't matter at all. Draw it with pen and paper if you want.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:14 AM

When I scanned it, it cut off around the edges, that's why the circles aren't complete.

It is a heptagon with a quadralateral inside, with lines radiating outward from a central point (a rayed star). There are seven circles around it, representing the seven panatirs.

I had meant for the shared parts of the circles (shaded) to be congruent, but they weren't. I got rid of some of the little tick marks I had drawn to help measure, but I didn't want to get too close to the drawing and some you can still see traces of. Oh well. If you like the general idea, you'd probably want to redo it on some computer graphics program anyway.

If it didn't attach correctly or something, you can see it at http://img413.images...e=img029ej8.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• img029.jpg

Posted Image

#5 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

its attached fine, and its my favorite so far (haha :) ) yah, it doesnt really matter if you're good at drawing, since all you really need is the basic design. it will probably be reworked by shikari or thorin or one of our other art masters ;)

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#6 Vithar-133

Vithar-133

Violent Gandhi

• Project Team
  • 1,975 posts
  • Projects:Existing
  •  It's not your skill, boys. It's your will. Ooh-rah!

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:49 AM

I myself have something to post; A mysterious benefactor, who does not wish his name released, has implored me to post this: Posted Image

All he said was: Seven Corners for Seven palantirs.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Black Dragon

Black Dragon

title available

• Project Team
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

I decided to have a go, I hope I wont get told off for "cheating" but i thought it would be useful to use symbols already ingame but to edit them. So I combined several "symbols" that are used for powers and merged them together...I think they look pretty good but its your choice whether you like them.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

blackdragon.jpg

#8 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

well...they look good...but they don't really have much to do with arnor :p

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#9 Black Dragon

Black Dragon

title available

• Project Team
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

Perhaps, the first one is meant to symbolise Sword & Shield surrounded by the flames of a star (reference to seven starts). Second one is meant to be the ring of a palantir and the tower symbol is a reference to "seeing". Last one I just thought looked cool lol

blackdragon.jpg

#10 Zyzzyva

Zyzzyva
  • Project Team
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

This is straight off the western door of Moria:

Posted Image

I thought this might be incorporated into the symbol of Arnor since 7 stars represent the 7 palantirs (plus they're stars, another motif of arnor) and the helm could represent ... I don't know :rolleyes: , it just seems to fit to me

Thoughts?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not. It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope. Well, let folly be our cloak, a veil before the eyes of the Enemy! For he is very wise, and weighs all things to a nicety in the scales of his malice. But the only measure that he knows is desire, desire for power; and so he judges all hearts. Into his heart the thought will not enter that any will refuse it, that having the Ring we may seek to destroy it. If we seek this, we shall put him out of reckoning.
-Gandalf

#11 Dangarello

Dangarello
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

Last one is my favorite. But i would like it more this way with stars surrounding the crown rather than the stars going out from the crown .

Anyway it was really good.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Eldarion

Eldarion

Global nomad

• Project Team
  • 407 posts
  • Projects:MME, this and that
  •  Skinner, modeler, and coder

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

That particular crown and seven stars design is a Dwarven symbol. I believe the crown and top star represent the Longbeards, Durin's house, the rulers of all the Dwarves (the other six houses being represented by the other six stars). A crown and seven stars would make a good symbol for Arnor - just not that particular one :unsure: .
Posted Image

#13 Juissi

Juissi

AWESOM-O

• Hosted
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Last Alliance modification, The Hobbit mod
  •  Forger Of (Last) Alliance

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Something like this ?
Posted Image
If it gets chosen, I have the psd file so that the symbol can be taken better from the black background.
Edit: Oh sorry, just noticed that this was supposed to end some time ago but didnt see post that this was closed so there it goes :unsure:

Edited by Juissi, 27 December 2007 - 05:33 PM.

#14 Wundai

Wundai
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

oh darn :( Shikari started it at 10 dec, I guess I'm too late in wanting to create something then?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  •  2D Art

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

Actually no, as Rob's away, he hasn't started on implementing this yet. So feel free to submit more designs...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Wundai

Wundai
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

Ok here is my concept:

Posted Image

In all honesty, I made everthing except for the tree, I had to take that from an image and make it white with the pencil in paint :unsure:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 dojob

dojob

AoW+DoW ftw

• Project Team
  • 1,304 posts
  • Projects:Beta testing for WoA, RJ, and KotW
  •  Cav Rusher + Beta Tester

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

If Rob is still taking entries, then I'll add mine:

Posted Image

Everything was from scratch with Paint except the outer heptagon and the stars.
Some helpful info on RotWK replays
Game Replays Forums; I am Panda Bear™
Awesome sig by TravTech :D PANDA POWER!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And please add Bear-mans

#18 Guest_khamûl the second naz-gûl_*

Guest_khamûl the second naz-gûl_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:19 AM

well ar in quenya means highlike arwen high lady aragorn high sun and arnor high land i think will be are a good idea put the crown of the kings of gondor (is similar as the arnor crown) and the stars as juissi symbol by the way my msn is sasuke-kun777@hotmail.com or morgothlordofdarknes@hotmail.com :p

#19 Shikari

Shikari

Allons-y!

• Project Team
  • 1,327 posts
  •  2D Art

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for all the entries guys. I've made a poll in the beta forum to vote for the winner.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

I'd come with much more simplier solution, a star.
Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die
...As long as they are remembered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users