#21 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

yeah, that was my next apocalyptic scenario, but i thought i was going to wait until the fallout had settled :p

edit: fine I'll make something of an zombie apocalypse.

"The artificial virus named g343, genetically modified to attack conservative and right-wing people, has been spread by a forum-based liberal terrorist organization to all the major cities of the world. popularly named after its inventor and cult leader; "spencer's revenge". it basically causes people with genes for brainless obedience and other undesirable neurological flaws to become raving zombies by taking out vital braincells. this was not the original plan for the virus, which originally only was meant to kill those of the target genetics. but field-testing have shown that conservatives and people with the chosen genes have a higher resilience for brain-death, turning them into primal beasts."

or just your generic, zombie bite, you die after a while, must make will-save to shoot family and other significants. some zombies be fast though, they seem more likely to be a threat.

Ah, the zombie plan. A classic scenario.

Three words. Shotgun. Unlimited shells.

For shotguns are the bane of all that is undead. :p

As for surviving a nuke war etc, haul in the frackin' tinned foods to some isolated place and just hunker down.

#22 Pastinator

Pastinator

Wild(With An M)

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • Projects:Apocalypse-Zombie RP in the RPG Guild

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, look at the red vs. blue zombie planning sketch. Its hilarious.
I think secretly, everyone has a zombie plan.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Join the Campaign for Insanity! Don't Put This in Your Sig to Show your Support!

#23 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

I'm the guy people point to and say "that guy is the one you should ask for help in case of a zombie holocaust/nuclear war". and i just look at them in a funny way and ask"if you are less prepared than me i pity you :p".
I have semi thought-out backup-plans ready depending on where i am for a longer period of time, but i don't really go out and buy anti-rads and canned food to hide away for a rainy day. waste of money for a situation i most likely won't live to see.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#24 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:01 AM

What a rather conservative position? I'd think you'd rather give zombies citizenship and allow them to vote. Find someway for them to work constructively for society. Eating brain cancers or something. :p

#25 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

Update: Last minute thought. If you really want to read political messages into the show: Which town, New Bern or Jericho, is more like the conservative’s answer to tough times and a state of war, and which is more like the liberal’s vision? I’ll give you a hint - one of them as suspended civil rights, a militarized society, uses torture, imprisons people indefinitely and is willing to engage in preemptive hostilities to take the resources it needs and fight threats it perceives without proof. I’ll leave the rest of the answer as an exercise for the reader.

from http://www.xtra-rant...007/04/27/2241/
It was some article about Red Dawn and Jericho. Read the article to get it, but I like the comparison.
Posted Image
My Favorite Website.My UniversityAnd... Mein Kampf?
C. elegans for President

#26 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

Zombie plan...well, in the case of a nuclear war and the ensuing zombie holocaust, I'm in pretty good shape. I live on the outskirts of the second largest population center in my state, so the undead would likely funnel there for feeding, while I gear up and take refuge somewhere in the hundreds of acres of forests behind my house.
First, though, I'd eliminate any and all threats in my area, can't have the infection spreading prematurely, aye?
Due to the large amounts of rednecks around my place, and obvious "gangstas" in the city, munitions, supplies, and weapons wouldn't exactly be a problem.
That, and I'm in reasonable physical shape, so I reckon I'm fairly well off.
Then again, I live on a farm...so, I'll bring another question to the table:
What of...zombie animals? Cows, goats, chickens, dogs, etc.
Would they be a viable threat, or not?
Cheers,
-mike

#27 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  • Projects:Admin @ Meaaov Gaming, university studies, ugh... research. GNP's Flagship of the Left.
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:05 PM

Most zombie viruses kill animals or don't affect them. Even so, any feline would be totally unable to stand up. Most of them attack the CNS, which controls the tail, a vital mechanism for balance. Yeah yeah, I did scientific consultancy for an Armed Assault zombie mission.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#28 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

Well, I'm mainly concerned with a horde of zombie-cattle rather than cats, or God forbid, dogs.

#29 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

the cattle wouldn't be a problem, you know where you got them. the problem is the sneaky bastards that infects you when you least expect it. so cats would be bad. dogs i wouldn't worry too much about in the same way, but rabid zombie dogs is pretty common. zombie mouses would also be a major problem :thumbsupsmiley:

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#30 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

Zombie mice? :thumbsupsmiley:
Hmm...what about birds? That'd be a bizarre cross between Hitchcock and 28 Weeks Later, I guess O_O

#31 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:55 AM

well if nature gets zombified, our odds gets pretty bad pretty quick. where would we get proteins? bet spencer knows of plenty of generic plants that gives us proteins, but i can't recall any at this moment which would easily grow anywhere.

hmm, kinda a sub-topic, but it would be interesting to see what things you ABSOLUTELY would need in a apocalyptic event. what nutrients do we need, what medicines would we be able to easily produce on our own etc etc.

Edited by duke_Qa, 02 January 2008 - 01:56 AM.

#32 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:26 AM

Well, canned vegetables and fruit of course. Meat as well (vieana sausages, etc.). As for medicines...tylenol? lol.

#33 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:28 AM

well if nature gets zombified, our odds gets pretty bad pretty quick. where would we get proteins? bet spencer knows of plenty of generic plants that gives us proteins, but i can't recall any at this moment which would easily grow anywhere.

hmm, kinda a sub-topic, but it would be interesting to see what things you ABSOLUTELY would need in a apocalyptic event. what nutrients do we need, what medicines would we be able to easily produce on our own etc etc.

A gun, many maybe, and many rounds. Than you can take what you need as well as defend what you have.

#34 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:47 AM

A gun, many maybe, and many rounds. Than you can take what you need as well as defend what you have.

And set up a militarised society, and then plan on invading neighbouring settlements, the old fashioned way. Hey, you're just obtaining supplies you need, right? Nevermind a few others might die for no reason altogether, what matters is that you get to live.

Sounds like New Bern to me.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#35 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

well you won't get far with guns if you die of scurvy :rolleyes:

canned food will only last you for a couple of years max. a proper apocalypse will take decades if not centuries to get out of. i'm thinking stuff that you really need but most likely will run out of.

#36 MSpencer

MSpencer

Think Tank... Legend?

• Hosted
  • 4,120 posts
  •  Angry, angry bastard.

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

People live off of totally vegan diets.
What they don't tell you is that they have to take mineral and protein supplements.
You also have to think of ease of growth. Corn, which is incredibly easy to grow, gives you cheap carbohydrates and not much else. Potatoes, another easy thing to produce, are full of starch, and just starch. If you think about it, all the easy things to grow (The ones that don't deplete the soil) tend to produce a single product which is useful to human consumption, but none of these plants produce high amounts of the essential amino acids, or just basic amino acids, we need to ingest to survive. The answer would have to be in hydroponics, as you can control the conditions in order to produce any sort of essential plant.

As far as basic essentials, nutrient-wise you would need to have all the vitamins fairly normally represented, which means a reasonably diverse diet or supplements. For medicines, I would say we would be able to produce basic antibiotics, aspirin, ibuprofen, and such, and would probably want to collect any remaining specific antibiotics and more effective broad-spectrum ones. It wouldn't be foolish to collect basic medical supplies, set up a sterile area and an aid station, and get the basics to perform emergency surgeries (Cloths, disinfectants, antibiotics, basic surgical instruments, units of blood, table, stitching instruments, heart monitor, etc.). I would also say a water distillation or ozonation machine would be pretty essential to keeping healthy.

canned food will only last you for a couple of years max. a proper apocalypse will take decades if not centuries to get out of. i'm thinking stuff that you really need but most likely will run out of.

Yeah and you'd probably be deficient in essential amino acids and vitamins from a solely canned diet.
Posted Image
C. elegans for President

#37 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

well you won't get far with guns if you die of scurvy :)

Power, forget fossil fuels. Think more solar energy, wind mills, and such. Without electricity, not much else is gonna happen. You could use corn to make ethanol to fuel vehicles and generators.

You also need to learn real quick how to gather minerals and metals from the ground, you know so you can make your own guns. :) @blodo.

Durable goods such as a bull dozer, and whatever else you can keep working till you can build another one. Dispose of nothing, everything electronic has a value a century later.Make sure you stock up on functioning computers. a few desk tops comps are especially powerful. They can do alot more than we actually ask from them.

#38 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:16 AM

i would probably download wikipedia to a pc for offline searches. it would quickly become the holy machine of humanity, even though its not like some magical list of how things work... but it would be more than enough for your generic little thing. wonder how many gigs wikipedia's databases takes up...

hehe, hostile sure wants his guns to work. nothing wrong about that i guess, but i would prefer to try to talk before i shoot though. the psychology behind getting a gun is the same that raiders and looters and the generic people who actually you want to protect yourself from have, so its a dark spiral to worry too much about it. give me a hunting rifle for hunting and self-defence and a few hundred bullets and i should manage for a year or two. give me the possibilities to make new bullets and i would be even more sufficient.
But automatic weaponry and handguns are for people-killing. might be used in hunting, but a proper rifle will be more useful imo.

salt is important as we who have seen Jericho should know, proper farm-fields would also be important. but the problem these days is that farmers rarely have seeds lying around except when they really need them, which is during sowing. this probably has alot to do with best-before dates and the likes. not too bad on things that grow back or makes alot of seeds by themselves for easy re-sowing one day, but if you don't have them to begin with you are kinda fucked.

#39 Hostile

Hostile

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:14 AM

we should create an RPG about this. :)

#40 TeaMaster

TeaMaster
  • Members