Universe at War is available on stores.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

If you live in North America, you are already able to buy the game and patch it as well. Universe at War: Earth Assault is the latest RTS PC and XBox360 game from Petroglyph, a totally new IP featuring 3 unique (and I really mean unique) factions, a new background story in a set of 3 campaigns (one per faction), conquer the world mode, DEFCON (where you don't waste time researching and starts with full tech) and a multiplayer game using Live for Windows crap. It also features the trully awesome Godlike musics from Frank Klepacki (that alone is a reason to buy the game :p). I really won't waste more time describing the game, since SEGA does a good job on it.

As far as I've checked the reviews from many gaming sites, it seems that the graphics and the way the factions were designed is quite attractive. One faction plays like a different game. However, all these sites hates the campaign (too much cliche and predictable storyline) and, of course, Microsoft's Live for Windows (who doesn't hate a service that charges a subscription fee to play a custom game online?). You can check the coverage about these reviews at our friends from Petro-Gamers.

For the owners of the shipped game, the first patch was released. It includes several gameplay changes, fixing some of the path finding issues, or at least improving them on most maps.

This is what everybody knows so far.. so, let's get into the Petrolution's side of things:

-> Live for Windows sucks, it is a fact. But don't get scared with the game because of it. It's just a matter of few months (maybe years) until somebody makes an alternative free service for it. You may not find it now, because the service is new. Look at World of Warcraft, where there are inumerous free servers available, of course not supported by Blizzard. If we hear about any of them, we'll post about it in a news or in the forums, because we are fans of Petroglyph, not of Microsoft.

-> The game's moddability is limited at the moment, but it will be expanded in a future patch. Here's the words from BHayes-PG, UAW lead programmer, on this issue:

Attempting to override any kind of XML/LUA/BUI files is currently disabled in the shipped build. With our next patch we should have MOD support included which will allow you to selectivly override files in your MODPATH folder. Mod kit will also have the full XML/LUA/BUI source files and appropriate editors and debuggers for you to play with.

Brian

And yea, part of the blame goes once again to our lovely Live for Windows.

Config.meg is included in the LIVE security catalog. So any modification will trigger a LIVE initialization failure. The demo didn't have LIVE integration so it wasn't obeying the security catalog which is why you could modify it for the Demo. Best to just wait for the Mod kit which makes it work in an ideal fashion (ie: loose file and seperate .meg file support).

Brian

So, so far you can mod the demo, but not the shipped game.

And that's it, I hope you enjoy it, specially the conquer the world mode, which sounds the most attractive part of the game. I'm not getting the game for a while, because I live in Brazil, which is outside the North America, so the game will take a while to arrive here.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#2 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:HP Mod
  •  Im just a guy around these forums

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

I Ordered the game over amazon.co.uk in europe it ships 25th january :(

have fun North America :(

you have to pay to go online oh that sucks! what about lan?

Edited by elvenfury, 21 December 2007 - 04:10 PM.

#3 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

I know I heard about how you have to pay the play online even with the PC version.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#4 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

LAN is free. This is why I'm sure the Live for Windows limitation will be bypassed, elvenfury. Maybe something like Hamachi will allow you to play custom games only with no subscription fee.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#5 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

Hamachi FTW!
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#6 Lord_Mordja

Lord_Mordja
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

Just to clarify; Live is free as long as you stick to a silver membership. Gold membership allows you to play ranked and quick matches I think. It's still crap, but I loved the game in the beta and will definitely be buying it. Hopefully the X-pack will ditch Microsoft and go for something that doesn't suck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users