112 replies to this topic

#1 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  Learned student and studier of lore

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:20 AM

What is your favorite faction? It's a hard question for me, but at the moment I'm totally leaning towards Arnor and MotE. The Dragon is just awesome as MotE, and the fact that they get Ringwraiths is also cool. But Arnor is going to rock all after they finally get some armor upgrades and skin changes...

Gondor would be in the lead if the armor of the Fountain Guards didn't turn gold with the heavy armor upgrade. The Fountain Guards armor is made of Mithril; Mithril is silver and nothing is harder then Mithril, so why does it change? It should be like Pippin Tooks' armor at first, with the black surcoats and smaller helms at first, then the heavy armor upgrade changes into the Mithril look. I'm a very aesthetic person...I like the looks, not just the stats. XD

'The Twilight of Man is nigh, and coming ever closer. The days have shortened into cold, forlorn darkness and sunrise to sundown is a bitter struggle for survival. But do not think for a moment that we shall not fight. We shall not go quietly into the dusk. We shall not throw down arms and flee, or surrender. We will go on, we will not falter. And even should we die, we shall make an end that will be remembered for thousands of years. For beautiful Arnor that is, for glorious Númenor that was! We are the Dúnedain, we are the Men of the North, and our foes will remember our steel!'

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

My political compass: http://www.political...=1.62&soc=-4.56 (A lot has changed.)

#2 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:21 PM

This looks rather familiar :p http://forums.revora...showtopic=52509

anyway :p

1. Isengard - pure ownage :)
2. Goblins - Nice unit diversity with some strong heros, but half trolls should be moved to harad/mote.
3. Mordor - Free orcs :D trolls are awesome too, as well as 7 unique nazzies
4. Mote - Harad is just too awesome :p
5. Rohan - My favorite faction from bfme1 :D radagast on eagle too...
6. This is where it gets tough...Elves - Nice heroes and upgrades. Their infantry have no armor though and it's hard to get a decent sized army.
7. Gondor - Love the reskins and heros, fountain guards own, but I just don't like their basic units. They're in between strong and crappy, expensive and cheap. I would rather have one or the other.
8. Arnor - Like the diversity, but again, basic units suck :p Elves are fun to play around with though, and hobbit spam has potential.
9. Angmar - Blech, EA. Mostly I just suck as them :p
10. Dwarves - Im aweful with dwarves. I can barely even take a hard :p

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#3 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, I don't really play too much as the Dwarves either. Arnor, Gondor, Elves, Mordor, MOTE and Isengard are my most played here. I really do like Angmar though, the Witch-King is wicked cool. Speaking of that...I wish I could find a way to increase his knock-back power in game, you know? The Meta-splash damage he does to all other units in the general area? Anyone know how ftw? I mean, I wouldn't make it so that he can take out the world...just a few more men around him.

'The Twilight of Man is nigh, and coming ever closer. The days have shortened into cold, forlorn darkness and sunrise to sundown is a bitter struggle for survival. But do not think for a moment that we shall not fight. We shall not go quietly into the dusk. We shall not throw down arms and flee, or surrender. We will go on, we will not falter. And even should we die, we shall make an end that will be remembered for thousands of years. For beautiful Arnor that is, for glorious Númenor that was! We are the Dúnedain, we are the Men of the North, and our foes will remember our steel!'

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

My political compass: http://www.political...=1.62&soc=-4.56 (A lot has changed.)

#4 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts
  • Projects:Beta Testing RJ-RotWK

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:27 PM

well i'm gonna have to disagree with you yoda (but i'll steal your format :p). i'm leaning closer to lord_faramir:
1. MotE - Harad is so awesome! i love bearing down on an enemy base with a few MASSIVE mumakil too :p
2. Arnor - i dunno what you're on yoda (lol) but arnor is awesome! their infantry is better than Gondor's and all the elves and dunedain and hobbits and whatnot just make it soo much better! their heros rule 2 :p
3. Mordor - i love the orc spam and the orc tent units. gotta love the trolls too!
4. Gondor - my old standby is even better now with the mod. cheap-ish units that are still good and easy to amass; gotta love it!
5. Goblins - probably wont be nearly as fun for me when call the horde is gone, but for now they are great to spam with!
6. Rohan - great cavs and unique units, not half bad. some fun heros too.
7. Dwarves - they're ok, but expensive units and small hordes make them a bit harder to use than most of the other factions (for me at least).
8. Isengard - i'm better with Isengard than the Elves or Angmar, but i'm still not too good. :( they're expensive and their heros aren't that good (lurtz is probably the best). my main disagreement with yoda :p
9. Elves - same issue as with the Dwarves, except worse. i'm pretty bad with them.
10. Angmar - ooooo god. i think i've only played like 4-5 games with them since the mod. dont really like them at all. (kharsh is the main bright spot for me)

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:09 AM

I seem to be the only Dwarf lover here, although I have yet to play them in the new version. The small horde/expensiveness is simply solved by pretty much only using men of dale soldiers, heroes, battlewagons, and demolishers. The MOD soldiers to grab land and buildings early on, then battlewagons to harrass, heroes for creeps, and demolishers to destroy the base.

Posted Image

#6 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

do you use guardians at all? phalanxes?

"A wizard is never late, nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Gothmog14

Gothmog14

title available

• Project Team
  • 343 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK Beta

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Mine would have to be:

1. Isengard - 'cuz they're Isengard.
2. Mordor - 'cuz they're Mordor.
3. Men of the East - they're just awesome.
4. Arnor - very diverse, only good faction I like.
5. Corrupted Wild - The dragon and troll heroes plus huge goblin armies.
6. Angmar - there's nothing better for slot 6.
7. Gondor - they're boring.
8. Rohan - they're just men, no fun here.
9. Elves - so overrated.
10. Dwarves - they need a complete overhaul.

I feel bad putting Rohan so low, but I just don't find the pure Men faction thing so great. I prefer some beasts and crazy heroes.

Posted Image
Thanks to Shikari for the sig
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

I just played through a Brutal skirmish as Angmar...and I've gotta say, Angmar is jumping back up to my favorite faction. I think it's the Witch-King...he's one of the coolest characters in the game, and one of my absolute favorite heros, besides Faramir and Boromir with the Heros of Gondor update. The new skin for the Witch-King is awesome...and besides, doing big battles with Arnor as Angmar is just awesome. Attacking Amon-Sul without doing it through campaign...~Thumbs up~ Anyways, I'm gonna enjoy seeing what updates and add-ons and graphic-enhancements are done to Arnor and Angmar, it'll make both factions more enjoyable. My list comes now, I guess.

1: Angmar (They need more stable units, and all of them need buildups, but they're just awesome. Spamming the enemy with Dark Rangers and Dark Numenorian' hordes equals PURE OWNAGE. The Numenorians take the brunt of the assault while the Rangers rain freezing hell down on them...then watch the Witch-King charge in and see the battle end in five to ten minutes.)

2: Arnor (Those two trade off sometimes, but I really wish Arnor had more calvary. Other then that, they're pretty well spread out between ranged combat and melee (sword and spear) combat; I'm impressed. The alliance idea is just a wicked cool idea, also.)

3: Gondor (The Fountain Guard are my favorite in-game created units besides heroes, but the gold armor is no fun. Some of their heros need beef-ups, but other then that they're a all-around decent faction.)

4:Mordor (I love getting all the Ringwraiths on the field at once, or the ones available anyways. I also think it's cool that MotE have their own Ringwraiths now, but I personally would have prefered them all on Mordor. But I understand that you have to have more units spread throughout the game, and MotE needed heros.)

5:MotE (They're a pretty cool faction. Fun to play, easy to use. The way you have to choose which group (harad or rhun) to go with is wicked cool; I noticed that you get a price-drop on the heros even, not only the buildings and the units. Wicked idea, Rob, I love it.)

6:Elves (Yea, Elves get 6th. They would be higher if the others weren't so much fun to use. Some of the units need power changes (their swordsmen are really, seriously wimpy) but they're a decent faction. Haldir ROCKS. He's in my top-five of favorite heros.)

7:Isengard (I've used them enough to get the brunt of a strategy with them: attack. They're definately NOT a defensive faction, like Arnor can be, or Gondor. Isengard is ment for ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. None of that pansy stand back coward stuff, I like Isengard alot. Their siege attack is awesome with the mines and ladders, but they seriously have no defensive capabilities. I like that.)

8:Rohan (I've never really went in depth in using them, but from what I've seen they've got some cool unique units and some pretty cool heros.)

9:Goblins (They're just WAY to weak for my taste. Send an army of them up against a few Gondor heros and you'll be slaughtered. I know to use the posion arrows and keep the archers behind the swordsmen, but it dosen't work. The Dragon is their only cool hero. They could evolve into a wicked cool faction if some work is done, the potential is there, but it's not happening for me.

10:Dwarves (Alright, finally, the Dwarves. The few times I've played them, this is what I've got. They have alot of chariot-type attack abilities...basically hit and run. Not me. I like to stand and fight, or ambush. Not hit and run. When I hit the field, I either die or I take it. Their color scheme reminds me of what it would feel like if I walked into a gay midgit strip club. (No offense to homosexuals or anything, but the gay guys I've known dress in REALLY bright colors.) And they're so very, very slow...I can't take that. I want speed and I want power...they've got the power, hell yeah. One of the most powerful out there. But they just don't have the speed. They're good on heros though!)

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

#9 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

"do you use guardians at all? phalanxes?"--Dalf32

Not much, actually. I use phalanxes if the opponent uses much cavalry, and sometimes I use the guardians with the mithril mail upgrade as meatshields for the demolishers. I have yet to play RJ-ROTWK against a human opponent, however, so my strategy will undoubtedly change.

I just bought Warcraft 3 so it'll probably be a while (once I beat the campaign, probably) until I get back to BFME.

Posted Image

#10 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:16 AM

XD better then what happened to me. I got a new computer for Christmas (YAY ME) and it's one that can run the game at the highest possible graphics setting with ease...uber freakin' video card and some awesome internal memory in that beast. But...guess what? I can't find my BFME2 game so I can't install ROTWK and that means on my new comp, I can't get RJ-ROTWK.

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

#11 Gothmog14

Gothmog14

title available

• Project Team
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:18 AM

2: Arnor (Those two trade off sometimes, but I really wish Arnor had more calvary. Other then that, they're pretty well spread out between ranged combat and melee (sword and spear) combat; I'm impressed. The alliance idea is just a wicked cool idea, also.)

Rob has said he's planning to add Hobbit Pony Riders as an early game Calvary later, but he has yet to find a good model. As for Angmar, you know it's a completely EA faction right? The only thing Rob added to them as of now is Carsh. Just checking :thumbsupsmiley: (I could be missing something though :ninja:)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:45 AM

Naw, he updated the skins on the Witch-King and Morgomir, it looks like. I can definately tell somethings weird about them; they look nothing like they used too, but the change is good. Hell, maybe it's my game or the patch I downloaded, I don't know, but I know the Witch-King looks alot cooler. And besides, I don't care if it's an EA faction XD Angmar rocks.

And another thing. I'm sorry to say it, but to spite however hard I try...I just can't see Hobbits as an imposing force on a battle field. I mean, there are guys on the field using swords bigger then they are. How can a little dude with a vest-looking shirt on with hairy feet be of any use? It's like 'THE ENEMY! Oh...wait. It's the hobbits again.' '...damn, I wanted a fight. Builder! Go kill them.'

I say there should basically just be an Arnor Knight batallion. Not hobbits on ponies, but Arnor warriors on warhorses. But this is just me. Perhaps more people out there want diversity.

Edited by Lord_Faramir, 26 December 2007 - 03:55 AM.

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

#13 Gothmog14

Gothmog14

title available

• Project Team
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:59 AM

Back in III 1300 (which is the Rise of the Witch-King era in case someone doesn't know :thumbsupsmiley:) when Hobbits came to Bree Land they weren't the same as they are in War of the Ring. They were involved in many (well... for Hobbits) battles back then, and in the Cold Winter most had to fight (wolves I think it was) to survive. However, I still don't find them really warrior-ish like you, but Arnor has late game and mid game Calvary (buy the Elven Alliance always), so they only need early game, weak Calvary, so I think they fit very well. They do suffer from no early game rushers though.

By the way, Merry Christmas RJ board, Happy Holidays. Off for more egg nog :ninja:.

Edited by Gothmog14, 26 December 2007 - 04:01 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:25 AM

Merry Christmas to you also!

The hobbits may have fought in their own wars, but it wasn't against the likes of Mordor and Isengard. They fought a few wolves and some goblins, not hordes upon hordes of Orc pikemen and archers, or dozens of Uruk-hai and warg-riders. Even if a few of the goblins did get smart enough to jump on the back of a wolf, it wouldn't have caused much trouble. The goblins in middle-earth are divided, they're not united in the least. The Orcs and the Uruks all have a single purpose. Goblins just want plunder. Anyways...hobbits on the battle field? Not the best of ideas, although definately unique and original. Moderately decent early-mid game mounted Arnor knights (much like the Gondor knights)? GOOD idea!

Edited by Lord_Faramir, 26 December 2007 - 04:36 AM.

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

#15 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

Sucks about your BFME2 copy....although I don't really feel sorry, with me using the piece-of-crap family comp that can barely handle Medium quality and you with a brand new one that kicks ass. I bought the anthology, so my BFME2 is in the same case as ROTWK.

Perhaps you could attach all your BFME2 files that are under your Program Files section into an email and save them into the same spot in your new computer?

I do remember reading in one of the books (I'm about 85% sure it was The Hobbit) that hobbits had good, sharp eyes, and while coudn't hardly pick up a sword, could use a bow, sling, or just throw rocks with stunning accuracy. Perhaps Pony Riders should be cheap Mounted Archers?

Posted Image

#16 Dalf32

Dalf32

The Ever-Willing

• Project Team
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:59 PM

kinda sucks bout your computer man, but i'm with ravnin here; my crappy comp barely runs it on medium :(
you cant copy the program files i dont think because i dont think it will work. its worth a try i suppose, but the game will probably not recognize that it's installed. i think.

i dont see hobbits as huge fighters, but they're not supposed to be your entire force, they are just a supplement; more like reinforcements. they wouldn't have fought an entire war, but would be willing to lend their aid, however little, to arnor. i like the idea of the pony riders as long as they are really cheap and pretty bad; for very early game. mounted archers is also a good idea methinks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Captain of Arnor

Captain of Arnor

High-Captain of Arnor

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:00 PM

I asked my dad about that last night, he's a computer programmer. I had the exact same idea (great minds think alike?) and he said that the computer would probably see that it wasn't installed and most likely wouldn't work. I do love the new computer though...man. It's a Dell Inspiron 530S if anyone wants to look it up and marvel. Yes, yes, I'm bragging. Wouldn't you?! Yeah...so I think I'm just going to go out and buy a new copy when I get me some cash. Until then, I'm restricted to playing RJ-ROTWK on a computer that, like Ravnin, strains and grunts like a kid with constipation on the medium graphic setting. Also, thank you guys for the sorrow and the envy XD It's a nice feeling to be the one who's envied sometimes, and I always feel like the one whos envying. So it's a good trade.

Anyways, back on toppic. The hobbits could be used as small spy forces, equipped with some type of cloaking, like the Elves...they're supposed to be EXTREMELY good at hiding. They do make talented hunters, I guess. Hobbits could make a cheap mounted archer unit or something, but I'd still definately prefer to see a mounted Arnor knight batallion. And a mountable Arnor hero, now that Glorfindel is gone.

Maybe Earnur should be available to Arnor? I know that he was the king of Gondor (and the last one) but he DID beat the Witch-King in Arnor. This is just a maybe. o.o It might not work out, but hey, I've got a few ideas rattling around in my head that aren't all about women.
Sometimes.

Edited by Lord_Faramir, 26 December 2007 - 07:01 PM.

Formerly Lord_Faramir.

#18 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:41 AM

I feel bad putting Rohan so low, but I just don't find the pure Men faction thing so great. I prefer some beasts and crazy heroes.

just have to say...you do know radagast has an eagle mount right? :unsure:

anyone, i dont play arnor much, but the elf subfaction has cav, right? seems kinda pointless to give them normal knights to supplement them and the legendary knights (or whatever theyre called nowadays ;)) pony riders would make for some quick cheap cav though.

As for hobbits never fighting against the likes of isengard...well, all of arnor never fought against the likes of isengard :D the game isnt 100% to books, theres some creative freedom involved too :excl: although...i think thrall hordes were stretching the limits of it :excl: back to vacation for me now, hehe

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#19 Gothmog14

Gothmog14

title available

• Project Team
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:32 AM

... Whoops. I've yet to try out Radagast. I didn't know he could Mount an eagle *drools*.

Yup, the Elf subfaction and the Arnor Barracks both have Calvary. However you put it, all Arnor needs is cheap, crappy, early game harassing calvary. Although I do like the idea of Hobbits being like, stealthy type units. I mean, if they could hide from any man on a whim, they could sure avoid Orcs. I dunno how you'd implement that in the game though.

As for Arnor heroes, you could always go with one of the other Kings during the Rise of the Witch-King Era: Malvegil, Argeleb I, Arveleg I, Araphor, Argeleb II, Arvegil, Arveleg II, Araval, Araphant, Arvedui. On this subject I think the Arnor heroes's powers need some work done on them. They're all basically the same hero when it comes to powers IMO.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Hexman

Hexman

Master of Myself

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Projects:Making programes for TI84 Plus and learning Asturias for guitar
  •  Crazy Guitarrist

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

1-Mordor-Because of the Nazguls
2-MotE-Because of the units
3-Dwarves-I like very much the units
4-Elves-The same reason of the Dwarves
5-Goblins-Like the new heroes
6-Arnor-Powerful heroes
7-Rohan-Cool units but with somebugs
8-Gondor-I don´t like very much
9-Angmar-Very, very bugs

P.S: I don´t rank Isengard because I never play as Isengar since I have the mod XD :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users