44 replies to this topic

#21 Dr.Kirk

Dr.Kirk
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Projects:SEE - one mod to rule them all

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:45 AM

Hm, good topic here, I think.

I have a grievance... my Cave Troll died when facing a load of Elves... again... swinging it's arms and bellowing in such a way that makes me seriously wonder why he doesn't just calm down and accept that maybe he's lost the game...

Anyway.

Tomzter08, I had the same problem the first time I installed the game. I eventually found out that it was because I hadn't read the installation instructions properly and had placed the SEE file in completely the wrong place. And don't worry, it's not because you're in England either. I'm in New Zealand and it works fine, and it worked fine when I was in England as well!

And to Myster...
Wrong! The mod WAS dying out. But now I'm here to make sure it gets finished, even if one day it dies completely, so don't worry about that... anyway, I have complete and utter faith in Naz's ability to complete SEE, he's done a damn good job so far and he'll do a damn good job still. It's good to be working under someone who knows what they're doing, for once.

And finally, to King_of_Blades...

I imagine the poster of those comments was most likely some immature 14-year-old. And it's sad that we (I say "we" because I myself am a 14 year old) are stereotyped into being immature little teenagers who can't deal with things in an organized and/or mature way. Unfortunately, the majority of teens these days aren't properly raised and taught "properly". Forgive me for taking a stab at parents, but alas, it is what this all comes down to.

- Too true. I agree totally with that, kids just aren't raised the same way they used to be. In the end, it really does all boil down to the actions of the parent and their ability to raise their own child. I, for one, wouldn't have posted something like that when I was 14 (ahh... those were the days... a long, long time ago... good times...) and I can't see why people don't just say things to others in a mature, respectable manner anymore, if they took the time to join the forum, download SEE and comment on it then they should be more civilized when doing so. And I hate that damn 'all teenagers are immature little prats' stereotype, even though it might be true in some cases, there are those like you who still retain the 'proper' way of doing things, so it's completely wrong. I used to shock people when I was 14 because of how mature I was, and it's only now that I can see why after stereotypes like this are fed into people.

Anyway, that's got nothing to do with SEE...

I like long building times! Adds to the realism and gives me time to plan my next move against the enemy. :p
Posted Image
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can.

#22 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

Some really good words, right there ^ :p

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 Dr.Kirk

Dr.Kirk
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:36 AM

Indeed they are. :crazed:

I tried fighting two units of Elven Cavalry with a single level 1 Cave Troll again...
I'm sure everyone can guess the result...

YES! IT WON! And went up a level. And then got shot down by a single arrow from a single elven Archer and did that blasted stand, wave your arms and bellow thing again.
Poor Cave Trolls, they have the worst luck when it comes to fighting Elves... or at leas they do when I'm controlling them...

Edited by Dr.Kirk, 13 July 2008 - 05:38 AM.

Posted Image

#24 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:35 AM

Hehe well balance is not exactly 100% yet. Trolls should be very hard to bring down, but not too hard off course. And there will/should be a balance that reflects on the situation. Elven cavalry should not own a troll, maybe Rohan cavalry. But elven archers should. But still, the final balance will be much bettar than this. And the new Troll rampage that's partially done in 4.6 is just awesome. The goal is to have every swing of its body hit opponents, like in BFME1.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#25 Beriadan

Beriadan
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:46 PM

Hello everybody. Well I'm still kind of new to these forums, but would like to bring up a couple of things here: as 'grievances' I take everything that bothers us about Nazgul's Special Extended Edition (good work guys, really good work... BTW, hope you are doing fine Sul! :grin: hope to see posts from you again soon :blush: )

I have to say, there ARE indeed a few things that really piss me off... Here they go:

One. Size. I know I told you all about this before, but, well, I just think it doesn't feel right how the gigantic oliphant comes out of the earth! It just pops out of it! Like some dwarf! :p Hehe not even so, cause it doesn't even leave a hole! :blink: Sorry for being an as.s, but these are my grievances, and I don't actually think I'm insulting anyone. Besides, I still have to try and play as Mordor myself, although I don't think it will make much more sense if its me controlling this big huge thing (the Grond) which is at least twice the size of a whole fort ... A FORT! for crying out loud... :umad: it's supposed to stand for at least 10 secs against ANY siege weapon. It's cool as hell having this stuff in the game, don't get me wrong, I mean, I don't really recall much of it's story, but I know it had something to do with Melkor's fort in the cold north, or someone's hammer, in ages long past. Anyhow, I would prefer to have it ONLY to besiege Helm's Deep or the White City. But that's just me. I just don't like it how the stuff is way bigger than a base fortress in Middle-earth, a dwarven fort, a numenor stonework fort... What's the need of such monstrosity when all it's going to smash are these little forts that look like dog houses compared to it. But hey, I'm not trying to impose anything here, it's your mod, your call :blush:

Two. Fellbeasts. (And Eagles, too). I suppose many have told you this, but I'll say it anyways: I really love how you've put your backs into making flying creatures fall to the ground when they are killed, instead of that stupid blast of light from EA. But there is something that doesn't quite fit: they are living creatures, not rubber balls :p so it looks not that realistic how they bounce over and over and over again... in the same position. Now that I think about it, maybe a faster bounce and a bit different animation, a change in the shape of the bird, when they hit ground would solve it. Once again though, its your modification guys, I don't pretend to make you change things just because I don't like them, and I can't even offer you my help, 'cause I don't know squat 'bout programming, coding, modeling or anything, not for the moment at least. Oh! I almost forgot, hehe main reason for writing this post :grin: I don't know what the story is, but I really hope you are not leaving those chairs for Ringwraiths on top of Fellbeasts :dry: for the final release :ohmy: they look so silly :lol: maybe you could remove some Nazzies from Mordor and put one in each of those chairs? that would make more sense :p or if you plan to make them be like Drogoth, who has no rider, maybe they'd be better off without those chairs. Just a though. But I assume you share it ;)

I want to say to you though, that, no matter what, no matter what changes you make or not to the game (lol I'm beginning to call it "game" instead of "mod" ^_^ ), it will always rock! :D ;) :good: You guys rock! EA sucks a lot from making a game that mainly was meant to squeeze us for money instead of the nice shiny jewel you made. A fourth silmaril, you could say :cool: Thank you SEE crew, thank you Sul, thank you Naz :wub:

:xcahik_:

PS to Sulherohkk :) : From what Naz told us, you went through some bad things some months ago, and are just now recuperating from them. I really hope you get fully up and well soon mate, and I have to tell you, I know what those things are like, I mean, I suppose everyone says so, but seriously, I'm 20 now, and it has only been 2 years since I even began to recover from a really bad depression, one that lasted me many years. So you could say I know what a depression is. But I also know that these things, horrible and nasty as they are, pass, they go away, like black birds (maybe crebain :crazed: ) under a ray of light (a ray of Istari light perhaps :cool2: ). Sooo... for real now, I don't know exactly what happened to you, and though I really really hope it wasn't anything that dreadful, I'm convinced that, if we allow it, life shows us wonderful new paths, full of light and all; when a door closes, many more open. And well, we move on, and best of all, we grow, we get improvements. Only through the shadows can we see light. And man, what a light.

woa, I did it again... too long post... well, I won't post again in some time, i promise :unsure:

#26 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:30 PM

Hehe don't be afraid to leave critique. As long as you show respect too and do it in a humble way - like you did :xcahik_:

Now for the answers:

1) The fortresses are NOT not not (did I say NOT? lol) "fortresses" - they are fortress KEEPS. Meaning they are only the high quarters of the entire fortress which is actually your whole base, complete with walls and everything. So what you call "fortress" is merely the biggest structure INSIDE the whole fortress/base. This structure would be pointless to make bigger, as it's big enough as it is and matching the other structures quite good. The Grond however is HUGE as seen in the movies. (Have you seen Return of the King?). I resized the Grond to match the movie and the trolls pushing it, and I think it turned out pretty close. It still needs work on geometry though (contact zones). The Mumak tent will be bigger in next beta to match the Mumakil coming out of it :sad2:

2) The saddle on the riderless fellbeats for Isengard are not removable through coding, and I haven't found any modeler willing to redo them, so they will stay as they are for now...

Thanks for your views and praise =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#27 Dr.Kirk

Dr.Kirk
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hello everybody. Well I'm still kind of new to these forums

- You and me both! Welcome to the team, anyway, (and even though I'm sure you've had that said to you a billion times before now, it's nice when people say it to you every now and again!)

I have to say, there ARE indeed a few things that really piss me off

- Aye now, you have to be careful when you say things like 'piss off', because it's a strong term, and you've got to really mean it. Are the things you listed REALLY things that piss you off or do they just annoy you slightly and reduce your gameplay enjoyment?

Sorry for being an as.s, but these are my grievances, and I don't actually think I'm insulting anyone.

- You aren't, and you don't have to say sorry, everybody is entitled to their own opinions and ideas as long as they are put across to others in a mature manner.

A FORT! for crying out loud... it's supposed to stand for at least 10 secs against ANY siege weapon. It's cool as hell having this stuff in the game

- Aye my friend, but remember, this is the GROND we're talking about, a massive metal battering ram with the weight and power to tear through stone like paper...

What's the need of such monstrosity when all it's going to smash are these little forts that look like dog houses compared to it.

- Actually Naz, I agree, making Fortresses bigger was going to be one of the things that I was going to suggest to you for the next Beta until I realised that you'd have to scale up all the walls and wall hubs and upgrades and everything and that it would take just too much work to do...

so it looks not that realistic how they bounce over and over and over again

- True, but you have to understand how much work went into their death animations in the first place. It would be gutting to mod the animation again and do something that could ruin it completely, people are just too scared to try, to be fair. If someone had both the ability and the time to animate the death scenes, then I would suggest that things such as Fellbeasts crash to the ground and skid along until they come to a halt, or perhaps just land in a massive dust cloud that blocks everything around it out, but beggars can't always be choosers when it comes to these sorts of things.

You guys rock! EA sucks a lot from making a game that mainly was meant to squeeze us for money instead of the nice shiny jewel you made. A fourth silmaril, you could say Thank you SEE crew, thank you Sul, thank you Naz

- Well put. My thoughts exactly.

woa, I did it again... too long post... well, I won't post again in some time, i promise

- Hey, it's ok, you think that post is long you should really read some of mine! (This one being one of my shorter posts, so you can see what I mean!) My posts are always incredibly long and I've got to learn to scale them down a bit too. But just going away for ages and not posting won't solve the problem of how much you post, It'll just reduce the help that you can give to everyone by being here. Writing as many posts as you can will help you learn to scale down the things that you write, it's a tactic that worked for me! :xcahik_:
Posted Image

#28 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:29 PM

I forgot about the falling death anims... They're not "made" by us, they're found unused, cut up in sections and then coded and timed to fit the game. And considering that they always fly in different height when they die, it's really really hard to even get these anims to work (play all) before they hit the ground - trust me :sad2: Cahik prepared the anims found inside the game, and then Sûl coded them. The bouncing is rather perfect in 4.6 since a huge rather soft body like those would actually bounce at least once. Perfecting them with even further anims for ground contact (meanig doing new animations from scratch) would be over kill when there's like 100 other things to spend energy on :xcahik_:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#29 Beriadan

Beriadan
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:45 AM

I do realize how much work has been put into the death anims Dr.Kirk, that's where all my praise about it came from :p (have to cut on those emoticons, my posts begin to look like a comic book =P) Thank you for your nice words by the way, the welcome is appreciated. Oh well, I guess its fine as it is, I'll have to live with that hehe. No really, I know they took quite some work, and I appreciate them as they are. Keep up the good work! ;)

I have to say, I realize now what you mean about The Grond, it IS supposed to be huge, and now in the mod forts ARE, as you say, headquarters for the whole base (which even AI's make very big and complete) That reminds me, I would like to see a base made by another player, and not only the AI...

...I already joined your hamachi networks, but no one is ever online. Is that right? Well, I guess you agree on times to play, so please tell me when that is :p I would probably get owned, but would very much like to hold it one last time... err I mean, to play with you all sometime :p (by the way Naz, you insult me -.- you ask if I've seen ROTK? A billion times! lol well not that many, in fact I was planning on watching them all again soon :p)

Bottom line: I accept death anims of flyers as they are (although I would like to see something like what Dr.Kirk mentioned, them crashing to the ground and skidding along until they came to a halt, but I know that would take a lot of work indeed), and I also begin to like the size of The Grond, and look forward to 4.6 and enlarged Mumakil Pens and Siege Works :)

Thanks again you guys, and hope to SEE you online soon

Edited by Beriadan, 18 July 2008 - 02:47 AM.

#30 Dr.Kirk

Dr.Kirk
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

Here, Beridian, these hamachi networks - is that the place to go if you want to do SEE multiplayer battles online?

Because if so then I'm joining in.

Talking of which, if you like, I'll take you on in a battle just as long as I get to be either Goblins or Mordor. Your choice, you can be whatever you like, even the same type as me I really don't mind. I'm just eager to play some online SEE battles with some proper non-AI players! :p
(And also, if we do battle, you can be the attacker I prefer defence tactics myself! ;) )
Posted Image

#31 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

For Hamachi networking, see these forums... HERE! ;)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#32 Beriadan

Beriadan
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:26 PM

I joined them before, the SEE and the BFME2 hamachi Networks, but could not see anyone online then! And neither do I now :crazed: . Is there something wrong with my stuff or is it just that no one is online most of the time? In that case... please be online! :) Please tell me if and when you're gonna.

To Dr.Kirk: Would love to fight you sometime :p

To you and anyone who reads this and wants to play with me: join this network here:
Name: "Middle-earth Gaming"
Pass: "SEErox"

Peace

(Thank you anyways, Naz =D)

#33 Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh

Sagacious Engineer

• Project Team
  • 3,754 posts
  • Projects:S.E.E., Sage A.I., Code Advisor
  •  'Axe'er of the Gordic Knot

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:56 PM

PS to Sulherohkk :p : From what Naz told us, you went through some bad things some months ago, and are just now recuperating from them. I really hope you get fully up and well soon mate, and I have to tell you, I know what those things are like, I mean, I suppose everyone says so, but seriously, I'm 20 now, and it has only been 2 years since I even began to recover from a really bad depression, one that lasted me many years. So you could say I know what a depression is. But I also know that these things, horrible and nasty as they are, pass, they go away, like black birds (maybe crebain :p ) under a ray of light (a ray of Istari light perhaps :cool2: ). Sooo... for real now, I don't know exactly what happened to you, and though I really really hope it wasn't anything that dreadful, I'm convinced that, if we allow it, life shows us wonderful new paths, full of light and all; when a door closes, many more open. And well, we move on, and best of all, we grow, we get improvements. Only through the shadows can we see light. And man, what a light.

{... me, gettting buckload of tissues ... } :)

Thanks. Always a fact that is good to know. :good:

bannerreal01mittelit3.jpg
Axed Head and A.I. Coder for S.E.E. and ... stuff

".. coding is basically boring. What's fun is finding out how things work, take them apart and then put them together in ways that were not intended nor even conceived."

#34 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:52 PM

You know Sûl... you and me... we allready established like over a year ago how much alike we are. And now we also share this fate, of dealing with some really heavy depressing personal stuff. And just so you know... if you ever need to talk to anyone other than those in your close proximity, I'm here bro :')

@Beridian: The SEE Hamachi networks very loaded 24/7 months ago, but since SEE went idle the network did too. I'm sure you can find someone though if you leave a request at the Network forums through the link I gave you =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#35 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:29 AM

I do love this mod,it's the first mod for bfme2 I played,but... I really must question why you DIDN'T change isengard's LAST TWO(2) POWERS,why is Isengard STILL summoning dragons??????? :) ,thats like my only complaint... for now ;) ,It would be cool if the goblins were a bit bigger,they are kinda small,barely any elite units

Edited by yams in a can, 21 August 2009 - 02:19 AM.

Posted Image
To the professor, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

#36 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:15 AM

G'day Yams

Yep, we've all noticed that as well and we have no clue why EA thought to give Isenguard that power but we have got plenty of ideas on how to change this, if you have any yourself, feel free to post them in the spell book thread in the develpment section. That way nazgul will see it when he goes over it ;)

I'm pretty sure all factions are getting elite units as well :)
No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

Well,from the books,when the Ents were attacking Isengard,it says Saruman opened the fire vents,and fire shot up in the sky or something like that, and it killed an ent that was caught in a full blast of a fire vent. Then you could have one where mine explosions happen in an area.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

#38 Skipper 24

Skipper 24
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

G'day Yams

Yep, we've all noticed that as well and we have no clue why EA thought to give Isenguard that power but we have got plenty of ideas on how to change this, if you have any yourself, feel free to post them in the spell book thread in the develpment section. That way nazgul will see it when he goes over it :xcahik_:

I'm pretty sure all factions are getting elite units as well :good:

Goblins have the Moria guards don't they?
Posted Image

#39 ttandchotmail

ttandchotmail

title available

• Project Team
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

hmmm not sure, been a long time since I played as or against goblins. I know they have something just not sure what it was called :blink:
No chance of returning....Zero chance of surviving....Well!? When do we get started?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 yams in a can

yams in a can

Friend of the Right Side

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:19 AM

Oh yeah they have the Moria guards,I still think the goblin faction should have more units,I think a cool idea would be a troll with a balista on top of it with a goblin shooting stuff :blink: . The goblin heroes look amazing though,I hope nazgul knows that EA wanted Gorkil to be a replacement for the great goblin,because the great goblin,azog,and bolg had been dead(yes I know he why he is adding those heroes even though they are dead,I did read it),and they barely had any other heroes.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

-yams in a can

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users