Photo

Change avatar sizes to 150x150

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Avatar Size

What is your preferred (maximum) Avatar Size?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:29 AM

I have 1280x1024 resolution, so 100x100 is a bit small to me.

In addition I am used to 150x150.

Would that be a possible change?

Edited by Solinx, 14 January 2008 - 10:47 PM.
Added poll

#2 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:44 AM

100x100 is plenty large enough.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

#3 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:02 AM

I agree. I have a 1280x800 resolution, but I normally use a viewport size of about 900-778x600 and have insanely slow internet. Besides slowing the time to load a thread, and making most posts longer because of the sidepanel, your avatar doesn't have to be some grand quality image, its more just a visual aid to identify posters. If you need a big image use the user photo in your profile, or if you want to tweak the sites appearence set up a user stylesheet in your browser.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#4 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Projects:ShockWave, Rise of the Reds, WarGames ZH

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

It worked perfectly well with E-Studios, not to mention that 150x150 is still in the dimension of the left hand profile bar, so it's not going to make a difference whatever different resolution you use.

Remember, you don't have to increase the file size limit, just the dimension size.

Edited by Alias, 13 January 2008 - 11:22 AM.

#5 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

Alias is correct. The resolution of the avatar has nothing to do with loading time, the kilobytes do, however. And Revora has a large limit already, so it would not make a difference.

#6 Copaman

Copaman

Ryan

• Project Team
  • 2,144 posts
  • Projects:Winning.
  •  Slowly becoming a Veteran

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

I, for one, would enjoy a larger Avatar size. I agree with Alias.

Posted Image

If you meet me:

Have some courtesy,

Have some sympathy,

And some taste.

Use all your well-learned politesse,

Or I'll lay your soul to waste.

#7 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

I think it's just fine the way it is, not too big, not too small.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#8 Aro

Aro

Alcohol Fueled

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 476 posts
  • Projects:Twisted Insurrection, TS: UMP, Evolution
  •  Beer Prophet
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Staff / News Poster

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

Avatar sizes are not what you should be thinking about the size of at the moment, If you ask me. Some of the signature sizes here are absurd.

Edited by Aro, 13 January 2008 - 07:51 PM.

Aro - Leader of Twisted Insurrection and Evolution.

Tiberian Sun: UMP
Tiberian Sun: Modding Tools
Tiberian Sun: Mapping Tools

"Aro is OP." - TiberianFuture
"Aro for Dictator!" - Droke
"Aro for President!" - CL4ymOr3
"You're Aro, you always win." - daTS
"He's referred to as The Aro because he really is that f*cking awesome!" - Fenring
"Only members of the A.R.O. Society are allowed to use :WAT and related terms (TAW:, :BIGV, etc.)." - Crimsonum
"To Aro, founder and leader of TI, the best public relations and mod manager, great friend, modder and mapper." - Lin Kuei Ominae

#9 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

100x100 is absolutely fine. There's no reason to need anything bigger. If you can't see it clearly, I think you're using a resolution that's too much for your monitor size.

#10 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

Yeah, i have 1280x1024 and it looks a good size.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

But what have we got to loose? Happened at E-Studios, like Alias pointed out, no detrimental effect, no one got angry. If you don't like 150x150, you can still use 100x100, IP Board doesn't stretch last time I checked.

Edited by Kacen, 13 January 2008 - 10:29 PM.

#12 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

But what do you gain? You don't even have an avatar atm. A few extra pixels doesn't do much, you can easily fit a picture into 100x100.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

I don't have an avatar because I am waiting for a change. And bigger = better. If other people agree, then why not? It pushes the pendulum towards our side, no reason to go the other way.

The only people disagreeing have ether been debunked or are making a fuss of it being "too much trouble" for something that THEY are in truth apathetic about.

Of course, if they don't care, it in truth renders them neutral, but because they feel the need to post, they posted, and in wanting to take a side they took that. It is irrelevant, however, for neutrals should not be counted.

There is no detriment to making it bigger, I shall list all the reasons:

1. The file size is already 128 KB, that is plenty big for even higher-resolution images than I am suggesting. Heck, I have wallpaper that size. Resolution does not effect load time directly, as pointed out here.

2. Just because the maximum size is changed to 150x150, does not mean that everyone's pictures will have to be that size. That should be blatantly obvious.

3. The size of the mini-profile is just perfect for 150x150. It's perfect, it will leave less unsightly empty space.

And I do gain something; to me, and other people, making already 150x150 avatars we may already have 100x100 creates hassle, for each of us, not the one-time "hassle" of going into the admin CP and making a one-time change for the good of humanity.

Some pictures loose their effect that small, AKA become too pixelated. I've done a lot of observations and it seems to me 150x150 is a perfect minimal size for IPB boards.

I put forward my platform, and I await commentary.

#14 Duke

Duke

Doctor Doctor!

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

I personally think that 150px is too big for an avatar. Avatar's arn't supposed to be high detailed photographs - moreover, a simpler image that is unique and represents the member on the forum. Perhaps raise it to 120, but I don't think it needs to be any bigger really.

#15 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

100 or 110 are fine. 150 is too much. I think it is more important to see more posts in the screen than people's avatar. We read topics because of the contents of the posts, not because of avatars.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#16 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

100 or 110 are fine. 150 is too much. I think it is more important to see more posts in the screen than people's avatar. We read topics because of the contents of the posts, not because of avatars.

Yet there will be NO detrimental effect WITH a dimension increase... as I've said before, even at 150x150, the avatar DOES NOT stretch the left hand column, and dimensions do not judge the file size of an image.

What are the other arguments?

"It looks ugly"
-Get Adblock if you are really that paranoid.

"What do you gain"
-The use of a avatar with bigger dimensions for NO detrimental effect. Not to mention that this is a simple change that could be done in less than a minute.

Edited by Alias, 14 January 2008 - 01:00 AM.

#17 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

Check the first posts of this topic to see how avatars actually do a lot of difference and how bigger avatars would do even more difference. In this forum, it is hard to see more than two posts in the same screen. You always need to scroll it. Don't you think it is annoying?
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#18 Duke

Duke

Doctor Doctor!

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:08 AM

A simple change maybe. But that is irrelevent. People are entitled to their opinions and from what has been presented in this thread hencefar, people arn't in agreement.

The point is not "We've got a few pixels extra space here, lets fill it up." Now THAT is pointless. The idea is to not have the avatars being the dominant visual on the page. I stress, there is absolutely no need to fill up all that space - there's not that much there really and it looks good how it is.

Edit: Lol Banshee basically bet me to it :)

Edited by Juggernaut2008, 14 January 2008 - 01:11 AM.

#19 Alias

Alias

Pessimist.

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:20 AM

Check the first posts of this topic to see how avatars actually do a lot of difference and how bigger avatars would do even more difference. In this forum, it is hard to see more than two posts in the same screen. You always need to scroll it. Don't you think it is annoying?

That has a lot more to do with sigs than avatars. I do think my current sig is large (it's within your guidelines...), it stretches the page (but hey, there's some ones that are twice as bad). But that's not to do with avatars, is it?

And what is so bad with only being able to read 2 posts at time? That is practically normal.

Edited by Alias, 14 January 2008 - 01:26 AM.

#20 Mastermind

Mastermind

Server Technician

• Undead
  • 7,014 posts
  • Projects:MasterNews 3
  •  The Man Behind the Curtain

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:30 AM

That has a lot more to do with sigs than avatars. I do think my current sig is large (it's within your guidelines...), it stretches the page (but hey, there's some ones that are twice as bad). But that's not to do with avatars, is it?

And what is so bad with only being able to read 2 posts at time? That is practically normal.

Actually, I don't think your signature is within the guidelines. Please make it smaller heightwise.
Posted Image

Well, when it comes to writing an expository essay about counter-insurgent tactics, I'm of the old school. First you tell them how you're going to kill them. Then you kill them. Then you tell them how you just killed them.

Too cute! | Server Status: If you can read this, it's up |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users