AI Observations I have made

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

First of all, I prefer this forum for the topic, as we all here are fanatics about the AI, or at least interested when EA doesn't make it extremely hard for us to like anything about the AI. ;]

For the moment, I have spare time to just write down what I have observed of the AI, including old mentioned behaviours. But everyone probably knows all of this already, especially scripters, which in that case, makes me sound like a noob.

The AI appears to:

- Respond to player beacons with free units. This may be different with the type of AI. AI leaves the units there, at intervals it regroups them at the beacon.
- The Guerrilla Scrin AI seems to leave Assimilators next to captured buildings... I am not sure if this is accurate [perhaps if an ally had already captured the structure, and the Assimilator is an extra unit] And if the building is captured, it will recapture it.
- Builds off of captured Tiberium Silos. [non-build-able ones.]
- Has trouble with expansion.
- Sometimes builds buildings in a perfect circular pattern around the MCV. I have seen this occur frequently, with defences and normal structures.
- Impossibly place Growth Accelerators where humans are unable to.
- Sells structures when an enemy Engineer reaches in close proximity with the building. The AI does not sell if it is the MCV, or when the MCV is destroyed. Have not focused upon which buildings it sells, but I infer it is the same result.
- Construct Gravity Stabilizers eventually, ignoring what enemies are constructing. [Even if it is all anti-air.] I believe this is due to a backup for constructing an MCV.
- Have issues having priority targeting with all units.
- Does not train a Mastermind.

I probably have missed alot of the behaviours I have seen which may not have been mentioned or significantly noticed, but hopefully at least one of these are unknown to you, and you have learnt something. :o

But lastly, I have noticed the AI force attack sometimes with its own units if you attack some unit. In the past, I noticed in the past when I force attacked an allied AI's units, it also began attacking the same unit. I believe it was a GDI rifleman squad which I used. [No, not a militia with hallucinogenic grenades]

This makes me infer that the AI may use this to get other units to focus its attacking, but I have no proof that it does. Its just another one of my silly theories which I make up on my own time. ;]

#2 Hogo

Hogo

Pro Mapper XD

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 1,295 posts
  • Projects:Enemy Enhanced, Mapping
  •  Friendly face
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Staff

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

Nice find :thumbsdownsmiley: Think you could post what map's you test on what AI Personality and what Easy med Hard Brutal? and starting positions :thumbsupsmiley:

Difficulty=
Personality=
Map=
Positions=
Allys=Yes/no if yes what Team and what Difficulty= Personality=

Thanks I could use this to observe the Ai myself.
I also noticed it didnt build a mastermind :xcahik_:

#3 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:07 AM

Mmm, hopefully I can be that ellaborate on my reports... :o

I'll attempt to gather more information as I go along... I remember I missed at least one significant point.

General:

- Turtle gathers units around base when idle, then when there is a huge group it will send them out together at the same speed.
- Steamrollers choosing to use the immediate infantry tech up usually fail, as their infantry are usually eliminated easily with anti-infantry weapons. I believe the purpose of the early infantry is to cause delay, until their higher tier infantry is available for queueing.

I'm out of time, will gather more information when I have the time.

#4 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hopefully we won't mind double posting in order to get a new post. =/

I also forgot to note that all these observations come from Brutal/Hard Steamroller/Rusher/Turtle AI's.

More observations:

- Turtle does not use units to guard expansion units, such as a Surveyor. However, it does move units after the unit successfully deploys afterwards, if there is a decent amount of units it may use.
- Turtle often builds buildings in a circular pattern around MCVs/Outposts.
- All Turtle AI's usually construct aircraft, especially Scrin.
- NOD Turtle idles many Venoms and Vertigo's at expansions, and uses the rest of the Vertigo's for attacking.
- NOD AI targets Engineers with Vertigo's, which is inefficient.
- AI's usually garrison infantry into buildings if there is a battle occuring with them near the buildings.
- There is no rapid teching up to Air capabilities, unlike the Infantry tech up.
- There is no rapid teching up to Tanks, unlike the Infantry tech up.
- When NOD rapidly techs up with Infantry, it usually uses Fanatics to delay the enemy.
- When GDI rapidly techs up with Infantry, it usually does so with basic infantry, and vehicles.
- When Scrin rapidly techs up with Infantry, it usually does so with Shock Troopers.
- Turtle appears to respond to Beacons the most.
- Early in the game, AI usually gathers units around the MCV, and then sends them out if there is a large group.
- Idled Turtle units around base usually goes out for attacking if a certain distance is penetrated by the enemy, then retreats units back into the base.
- All AI's have trouble with dealing with destroying structures and units when they are close in proximity. [I've noticed with Steamrollers and Rushers, that they keep their attention on units rather than the production structures, until there is a huge amount of units clustered around the structures that they will start to target them.]
- AI will often create Infantry production facilities if there are neutral buildings to be captured early game before constructing a refinery.
- Scrin very often sends out a few Buzzers early round if there are neutral structures to be captured.
- GDI AI sends out upgraded Firehawks directly into enemy bases, where they don't do so well if there are base defenses; especially if the base has a Storm Column which can 1HKO them.
- NOD [I've seen this with Rusher] sometimes spams out alot of Buggies which can delay the enemy well until NOD techs up into Avatars.
- NOD Steamroller/Rusher graciously sometimes does Guerilla strategies with Stealth Tanks, such as going to the side to destroy enemy captured neutral buildings.
- NOD sometimes uses Avatars to ignore tanks and moves them forward to crush them.
- All AI seems to prioritize Scorpion/Predator/Devour Tanks over the rest of the tanks to be destroyed very often.
- All AI seems to not recognize Seeded tiberium. (Tiberium fields without the production hole) They will not expand to these, and frequently not harvest from them.
- NOD AI uses seed tiberium on their most current tiberium field expanded to, and places right onto the hole.

Phew, that's all I have for now, I believe. I believe I have much more that I have missed, so I shall continue to update.

:thumbsupsmiley:

#5 Hogo

Hogo

Pro Mapper XD

• C&C Guild Staff
  • 1,295 posts
  • Projects:Enemy Enhanced, Mapping
  •  Friendly face
  • Division:C&C Guild
  • Job:Division Staff

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

Wow Awesome work dude :p, When Im doing mine Im concentraint on a certain tactic and seeing how the AI reacts.

#6 Spikey00

Spikey00
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

Good, as I don't do much when the Brutal Steamroller/Rusher is constantly rushing at me with units.

Also noticed Brutal Rusher does minuscule amounts of Guerrilla tactics, sending units to the side-ish, while maintaining a high vehicle rush, compared to the Steamroller behaviour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users