Photo

When will we be allowed to eat what we want?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

Apollo showed me some (rather gross) stuff today that the PETA are throwing around.

Now, I'm all for the humane treatment of animals but there does come a point where it can go too far.

Take This site for example. As FAQs go I this one is among the most bigoted and patronising and unscientific as I have ever encountered.

Check out these amazing "facts" from that FAQ:

Cancer [From drinking milk]? Maybe.

According to whom? Dr Ducky McQuackman, PhD in Stupidity? I wonder how scientific this research was.
*Ducky walks into cancer ward*
"'Scuse me, do you people drink milk?"
"Yes"
"LOOK! SEE! CAUSE AND EFFECT! LET'S GET THIS IMMEDIATELY SENT OFF TO THE JOURNAL OF RETARDEDNESS!!

Pus

Pus, as far as I'm aware, only tends to appear when an open wound gets infected. I haven't really looked any further into it but I don't sense a correlation between my drinking (or not drinking) of milk and a wound getting infected.

blood

Uhm...don't I need blood? Last time I saw blood coming out of my body I had slashed my finger open. I'm pretty sure milk wasn't involved in the equasion.

and that slimy white residue that you get in the corners of your mouth?

That's called being gross and not wiping your mouth after you drank milk messily. Or perhaps not rinsing your mouth out after you brushed your teeth.

But my doctor told me to drink milk to prevent osteoporosis!
Tell your doctor to put away the Dr. John’s miracle elixirs and bone up on the latest research. Your head’s going to spin when you read this one: Medical studies indicate that rather than preventing the disease, milk may actually cause osteoporosis.

I would like to actually see this research. Personally, I think L. Ron Hubbard puts forward a stronger case...

But my kids love milk and ice cream!
Really? What is it exactly that they love? The pus content? The bloated, gassy feeling? The zits? Or could it be the allergies? Cow’s milk is the number one cause of allergies, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology.

O RLY? I think the stats say it all. The number one cause of allergy is dust/rhinitis. Asthma, to you and me. Even if they had written properly and said 'number one cause of food allergies', it would appear that the slant is on seafood and nuts rather than milk. Even then, check out what some of the other 'most-common' causes of food allergy are. peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy. Gee, might they be the very things that these unscientific and word-twisting jesters are trying to plug?

But I depend on dairy products as my main source of protein!
Protein deficiency is almost unheard of, unless you live in a famine-stricken country or you’re Kate Moss. You can get all the protein that a human body needs from legumes (beans, peas, and peanuts), vegetables, nuts, seeds, yeast, and tofu.

Ehm, surely your diet gets boring then? Nuts and peanuts are, as a rule, ridiculously high in fat. Check the label on your average pack of dry roasted. I put it to you that a hunk of cheese of equal mass to the peanuts you're eating will contain the same or less fat.

Oh yeah. And I would rather eat my own colostomy bag than tofu or yeast extract. I imagine it would be tastier, too.

Now, as I said I am for the humane treatment of animals, both wild and captive. I don't agree with animal testing or with animal circuses, or even zoos in particular, and I believe that farm animals in captivity should be kept in good conditions and not abused. On the other hand, farm animals are bred to be slaughtered and, to be fair, none of it goes to waste and they are killed in a humane way. I don't deny the existence of factory farms, nor do I agree with them, however I would argue that the Jewish/Muslim ceremonial way is a tad more brutal.

Now, here's some empirical evidence.
Human beings have teeth specifically designed with meat eating in mind.
Humans have been eating meat since...well, since before homo sapiens evolved. Why is it now that anyone seems to think it isn't right?
While a vegetarian who eats dairy can get by fine, many vegans tend to be anaemic and have other possible risks, eg calcium deficiency. Admittedly, they cut their risk of diabetes and obesity, etc, but then so would simply eating less.
Veggie replacement produce is ridiculously expensive. AND CONTAINS MORE FAT THAN THE MEAT IT IS REPLACING! Usually doesn't taste as good, either, though I will confess there ARE some exceptions to that latter rule. Bachelors Beanfeast bolognese style mince is particularly good. Still prohibitively expensive, though.

What am I getting at here? Firstly, my girlfriend is vegetarian (which is how I know about veggie replacements). She cooked me a fucking steak (a real one, from a cow) last week and it was one of the best damn steaks I've ever tasted. She doesn't wear leather. She DOES eat cheese, eggs and drink milk. My point is that she adheres to her own code while not forcing it upon those around her. She respects that others don't think or feel the same as her. But these people are ridiculously patronising and can't resist making those of us who don't have a moral qualm with eating bits from another animal guilty. I'd love to see them go up to an aboriginal or especially an inuit-eskimo tribe and get them to stop eating meat. They'd survive for about four seconds.

My point is that, why can't I be allowed to enjoy my steaks without being pressured by all these vegan eco-weenies? Morally speaking I feel much as they about a lot of issues. The difference is, I don't see how my changing my diet will make a blind bit of difference. That cow will still be slaughtered. Its hide will still be tanned for leather. It's ass will still make burgers. It's legs will still make beef. It's back will still make steaks. Its ribs will still be found at every Chinese restaurant in the world. Its fats and bones will still make gelatine. What's left will still be mashed up and made into McDonalds burgers. The difference is, someone other than me will eat that particular one. If your morality (or, indeed, your dislike for meat products' taste) forces your hand to stick to veggie dishes, then as I say, good for you. But sites/groups like this 'milk gone wild', with their unscientific bullshit, and indeed the more radical arm of the PETA can just fuck off because, at the end of the day, what else will I put on my cereal? :wink_new:

Discuss.

#2 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

I ignore studies and science and I eat and drink what I want. Fuck the consequences. I'm fat and I'm happy. :wink_new:

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#3 EcclairLS

EcclairLS

Me Likey. ;D

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Projects:Another Random Mod :D
  •  Whats this??

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:08 PM

Just eat what you want... since it's the way of life anyway...
There are times when a man remembered his greatest moments in life. Oh really? >_>

#4 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

Doesn't that site make you feel like you're on godhatesfags.com? My point being: it looks like it is made to shock people into spreading the word, nevermind if it's negative or positive, thus accumulating the site hits. It annoys me as much as the very message, the site uses this modern mass media shock and awe campaign to broadcast it's bloated beliefs.

Just look at it. It attempts to be "entertaining" with it's bright colours and ad videos, and wrapped in all that nice packaging is a message that should blatantly disgust us or make us enlightened, this delivering a brutal contrast that we won't soon forget. We find ourselves linking everyone to it by means of mouth/IM/forums/whatever. Viral campaign succeeded.

Anyways, I couldn't care less about someone telling me what I can or cannot eat. I'm gonna drink containers of milk if I want to. I'm not fat because I eat a little bit of everything, and if some ecofag thinks he can muscle in and try to change that, I welcome him to try.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#5 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Fuck them, I'm going to continue to drink milk and enjoy it :wink_new: .
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#6 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

OMG YOU ALL HAVE NO SOUL! THINK OF THE POOR ANIMALS!

#7 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:27 AM

They are not poor. They feed me. They are the winners.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#8 Sigmar

Sigmar
  • Hosted
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:32 AM

I mostly eat meat and rarely veggies, cause i hate them. paradox, you bring up a good point. cause im so sick of seeing anti-meat propaganda on TV's giving kids the wrong messages.

I mean, why do they gotta be like that? forcing down vegetables down people's throats. and worse, they show it as a good thing on TV.....makes me so angry! :p

#9 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

Well, vegetables áre good for you.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#10 Blodo

Blodo

The one who disagrees

• Project Team
  • 3,002 posts
  • Projects:siteMeister, Mental Omega
  •  The wise guy

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

Eating vegetables alone makes for some nice anemia. Eating meat alone gives you scurvy and all sorts of deficiency, not to mention heightened fat and cholesterol level.

The point here is that we need a balanced diet to stay at the top of our strength. Anyone who says otherwise is quite simply uneducated.

ARGUMENT FROM CREATION, a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (I)
(1) If evolution is false, then creationism is true, and therefore God exists.
(2) Evolution can't be true, since I lack the mental capacity to understand it; moreover, to accept its truth would cause me to be uncomfortable.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

#11 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

Exactly.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#12 Cheshire Fox

Cheshire Fox

El Hombre Sinestro

• Hosted
  • 755 posts
  • Projects:Keeping Apocalypse and Wrath alive
  •  Apocalypse Admin, Wrath of Orion Admin

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Every time I hear the word PETA I want to scream in rage.

Some recent studies

Care to elaborate PETA? Maybe a citation? Maybe not writing a website like an 11 year old who never got through Freshman year writing class?

It’s bad for your health.

Proof please? If you're going to convince me of your viewpoint, could I have something OTHER than your random rantings? Like, someone who has spent considerable, unbiased, time studying these problems for the good of the people rather than to force their viewpoints on others like some sort of a religious fanatic? Come back when you're not acting like a screaming like a child trying to explain something no one's interested in.

Oh, and one more thing: The hormones in milk can give men breasts. Uh huh.

WHAT? WHAT?! ARE YOU REALLY TRYING TO PULL THIS BULLSHIT?

I honestly don't even know how to react to that last one.
Posted Image
This is the place where all the junkies go, where time gets fast but everything gets slow.
I'll get to the moon if I have to crawl.
The problem with any government is that it eventually attracts politicians.

#13 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

PETA and vegetarian/vegan animal rights activists in general have a lot in common, though they won't admit it, with pro-lifers. They show videos of inhumane slaughterhouses, claiming "THIS IS HOW EVERY SLAUGHTERHOUSE IS" when in reality it's usually just some backwards rural place in China or some other third world fucking country. It is similar to how pro-life/anti-abortion extremists show disturbing pictures of supposed aborted babies, when in fact they are usually stillborns.

They have a lot in common with religious fundamentalists too, and conspiracy theorists (mainly revisionist), in the sense they believe in things primarily based on their pre-conceived bias towards, in this case, animals, that is primarily caused by their own emotions, and to justify it they go and find whatever they can, and won't hesitate to skew facts towards their goals and ignore their own flaws.

Unfortunately, many opposers of them resort to immature attacks, and in addition skew facts towards themselves, giving them more strength. This principle applies to many of the other examples of groups I've given in addition. All their arguments are circular in nature so there is no need to make up facts.

Edited by Kacen, 27 January 2008 - 08:37 PM.

#14 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

Fact: Milk helps make your bones stronger PETA :) !
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#15 Calamity_Jones

Calamity_Jones

Boomers Disposable Minion

• Project Team
  • 2,399 posts
  • Projects:Only War 2
  •  The Lurker-Turned-Poster-Turned-Lurker

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:08 AM

Black Tea. It's not very nice.Therefore, I must drink Milk. Simple.
Posted Image

#16 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:04 AM

Actually now taking into account milk; yeah, actually, it is unnatural for us to eat dairy products. And a lot of the nutrients we get from dairy we can get from other things.

Doesn't mean I'll stop eating them, I love cheese.

Meat, now, that's debatable.

#17 Paladin58

Paladin58

I lurk moar...

• Project Team
  • 2,384 posts
  •  Drifting Gun-Toting Liberal, Forum Lurker

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:10 AM

I honestly don't even know how to react to that last one.

Its simple: it's estrogen. It can give you man-boobies, when taken in high enough quantities. Of course, I don't think you can consume enough in said quantity in order to warrant an effect.

Posted Image

OLD SIG
When history witnesses a great change Razgriz reveals itself,
first as a dark demon. As a demon it uses it power to rain death upon the land,
and then it dies. However after a period of slumber Razgriz returns
As the demon sleeps, man turns on man.
Its own blood, and madness soon cover the earth.
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz.
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light.
Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
The demon soars through the dark skies
Fear and Death trail its shadow beneath
Until Men united wield a hallowed sabre
In Final Reckoning, the beast is slain.
Razgriz intrerpretation

Posted Image <-This stays up there for you, buddy!

#18 Godwin

Godwin

title available

• Hosted
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:39 AM

I thought all this should've ended on the internets the moment Maddox posted his article?

Really, why anger yourself over these things? The discerning should know better.
Posted Image

#19 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

To be fair, it is just another avenue of bigotry and holier-than-thou fuckheads. Religious zealots, political bigots, fox hunters, neo-nazisconservatives, et cetera exist. Why not dietetics who want to breathe down our necks too?

My real gripe is with the propagandism they throw at it. Not even real propaganda, but 'shit they just made up'.

If you drank a ridiculously stupid amount of milk, you'd probably get man-boobs because you'd get incredibly-credibly fat, and for no other reason. The estrogen would be in such minimal quantities, assuming it wasn't denatured during pasteurisation and that bovine estrogen is compatible with human estrogen receptors. Not to mention the taurine that would be in it which would likely counteract the effect.

#20 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

Want to know the leading cause of cancer? Life...

Now I'm off to make myself a buttered fat sandwich with mayonaise in honour of PETA. (yes I'm kidding)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users