Photo

When will we be allowed to eat what we want?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:20 PM

Ash's post is the most bigotted, opinionated stuff I've seen for a long time.

Ah, fantastic. I'm going to have me some fun with this one. Despite Fen's cynicism. I really hope this vegan returns.

Milk causes cancer. You don't think so, huh. One of the most common forms of breast cancer is estrogen related.

Uh, no it's not, and that's complete drivel, quite frankly. I would LOVE you to find a source.
FACT #1: The most common breast cancer sufferers are women.
FACT #2: Oestrogen is a female hormone related to the menstrual cycle, primarily found in women.
BASELESS ASSUMPTION #1: Therefore, breast cancer is linked to oestrogen.
It's fucking Pearson's Correlation 101 that the two would correlate - they both happen to the same fucking gender! There is no evidence WHATSOEVER to support the argument that oestrogen caused any broken genes, nor is there any evidence that milk is the causal factor (the woman might naturally produce more oestrogen). Also, you, good sir/madam/gerbil, have failed to take into account any of the other factors that are known correlates/predisposers to breast cancer. Here's an easy one for you.

Let's list some of the primary risk factors, of which I should draw your attention to the fact that milk is not among them:

The primary risk factors that have been identified are sex, [ed: OBVIOUS] age [the older you are, the more susceptible you are anyway], childbearing [if you have kids, you're at greater risk since your breast cells activate], hormones [not necessarily oestrogen, but thre are more reasons that it could be abnormally high than because you drink milk], a high-fat diet [linked with a million other illnesses, and easily can occur if you eat peanuts, legumes, etc], alcohol intake [not just milk, see?], obesity [see high-fat diet], and environmental factors such as tobacco use [known carcinogen], radiation [known carcinogen] and shiftwork.

By disregarding all the other possible factors, predisposers, etc, you really are making what we of the scientific and rational community would call a shit argument. There are plenty of other things that could cause it, same as there are plenty of other things that could be going on that could stop it. If we're going to play the numbers game, let's look at the amount of people who DO drink milk and get breast cancer, the amount of people who DON'T drink milk and get cancer, and the amount of people who DON'T drink milk and DON'T get cancer, before we start bandying around silly alarmist argument that make no sense.

Guess what contains enormous amounts of estrogen? Cow milk. Why? Because they pump the cows full of growth hormones and the cow lactates when its pregnant. Go ask an oncologist before you mouth off.

Go away and bring me a source for this repugnant load of bullshit. There is no more oestrogen in cow's milk than there is in the cow. Also note: OESTROGEN IS NOT A GROWTH HORMONE. Also, cow oestrogen will have precisely no effect on humans, because we aren't cows. We lack the receptors to receive their oestrogen. Why do you think you can't just give any old insulin from any old animal to humans? Only primates and pigs have 'compatible' insulin. And if you were a diabetic, I doubt you'd be mouthing off about that exploitation of animals, or that particular application of genetic modification. Go do some research before YOU mouth off, you putrid welt.

The other place you find high concentrations of estrogen is in cow meat. By the way, if you're a guy, its probably giving you man boobs too.

If you eat too much of any food, it's going to make you fucking fat. FAT is what gives you man boobs, not oestrogen. Notice any fat guys whose voices are a bit higher than normal, and who can't grow a beard, or even stubble? Trust me, grease-stain, that's obesity, not oestrogen. A completely different pathogen, I think you should note. But of course, it has to be meat that's causing the problem! Because vegetarians and vegans don't ever eat chips, one of the fattiest common foods I can think of!

Pus and blood in your milk doesn't bother you? Well I'd expect so as eating the rotting dead carcase of dead animal doesn't either.

Oh, yes, because we're eating meat we're obviously eating rotting flesh, like some sort of pallid necromancer. Yes, of course. That sort of pathetic witticism is about what I'd expect from a mindless bigot. To refer you to your very first sentence - note that I'm not averse to the practice of not eating meat (I did date a vegetarian for some considerable time, and she was fine with me eating meat). I'm averse to cunts like you trying to pollute the rest of the world with your nonsensical holier-than-thou attitude. Thank you so very much for proving my point absolutely splendidly! And neither of those things are even in milk. That's total bullshit anyway. Blood vessels run near milk ducts, not in them. Otherwise the cow would be bleeding or infected, and would probably have been treated.

Even if, by some improbability of nature along the lines of Nostradamus' prophecies, you're right, and pus and blood are in the milk, we have invented pasteurisation. Perhaps you'd like to look it up. The process has been used for decades and, as yet, only lactose intolerant people have ever had any adverse effects to drinking pasteurised milk that's not gone off.

Finally we have all that usual bilge about it being natural to eat meat. If you think its so natural, I suggest you strip naked (nothing natural about clothes you know) wander into the nearest forest and see how well equiped you are to catch an animal, rip its flesh off and then digest the uncooked meat. Natural, hah!

Ah, so do you walk around naked in the street, then? Got something against cotton too now, have we?

Humans are omnivorous, capable of consuming both plant and animal products. Varying with available food sources in regions of habitation, and also varying with cultural and religious norms, human groups have adopted a range of diets, from purely vegetarian to primarily carnivorous. In some cases, dietary restrictions in humans can lead to deficiency diseases;

Also, note that humans are not the only animals who use tools to obtain food. Chimpanzees use sticks to fish for termites, and even some birds, including crows, will do the same. Humans are perfectly capable of digesting uncooked meat, so long as it's fresh, right off the bone. It takes a day or two to be contaminated such that we can't eat it without cooking. Have you never heard of a 'blue' steak? Or, more usually seen, a 'rare' steak? I've eaten insects, raw and alive. Not very tasty, but it didn't kill me. There is a reason we have acid in our stomachs; to kill pathogens that might harm us.

Actually, there we go, perfect way to dick your argument totally:
You're so up in arms about humans eating meat. Why don't you go complain to the fucking tigers, lions, hyenas, etc? They're killing and eating animals too! If you're going to complain about humans eating meat, the least you could do is dispense your bigotry fairly and berate tigers and sharks for their obstinate refusal to stick to a diet of beans and leaves.

Apart from all the harm it does to those who consume it, meat production also has facilitated the rapid transformation of animal to human viruses like swine flu an avian flu.

Total, complete and utter bullshit. Not only has the transformation not been in the least bit rapid (or else tigers would go down with gazelle flu, and you don't hear that very often, do you?), but swine and avian flu aren't even actually the viruses that infect those animals. We have given them that name because their chemical makeup looks similar to those two animals' flu variants. Additionally, humans have been eating meat since before we were actually H. sapiens sapiens. Pretty much every species in the family hominidae is an omnivore. That's not even mentioning early ancetral human species. Without meat-eaters, you would not exist, because plant matter is energy inefficient, by and large. By far the most successful congregations of large quantities of people are when livestock have been kept.

Its waste products run off into our water supplies. It takes 10 times as much vegetable protien to produce one oz of animal protien. And an incredible amount of energy is wasted in producing just a single cow. Many of the unhealty evils are caused by factory farming - as is the cruelty involved.

Where they are promptly metabolised by fish, plankton, insects, or simply denature and disappear. Unless you dump a full cow carcass into a river, it's really not going to hurt you. Perhaps you'd like to spare a thought for all the hundreds of thousands of bacteria your body's natural immunity wipes out every day? Maybe you refuse to take antibiotics because you can't bear the thought of the massacre of all those poor, defenceless little pathogens? Shed a tear for every insect that loses out because you ate a plant it could have, or for the many insects, some microscopic, that you inhale and that drown in your lung fluid and mucus. Watch where you step, too, because there might be ants underfoot, and think of all the detritivorous microorganisms that die every time you flush your turd down the loo. And, as I mentioned earlier, all those poor, exploited Escherichia coli who produce insulin at our behest, saving the lives of tens of thousands of diabetics daily. Think of those poor, exploited yeast, who slave daily to ferment our fruit and vegetable juices into alcohol, only to be poisoned by their own natural creation, or to aid in the creation of the bread vegans practically live on.

Think of the plants whose energy is wasted to produce the leaves, fruits, beans, seeds and stalks that you rely on. They need that energy, and those parts, to survive and reproduce. YOU ARE DENYING THEM THAT. How the fuck can you live with yourself? All that cruelty. All the suffering and exploitation and energy and work done by the plant only to fill your belly. THAT is every bit as cruel. And don't say that the crops are cultivated for us - so too are the cows and the pigs and the sheep and the chickens we eat.

An incredible amount of energy is not wasted to produce a single cow - what a callous attitude you have for that cow! I'd argue that the plant's energy is wasted creating you, not just for the reasons I have previously iterated, but because you're such a fucking waste of space that you aren't worth feeding. You honestly believe all animals are kept in squalid hellholes and abject misery. That simply isn't at all true. And even if it was, the animals are our property - you believe it's OK to kill plants and eat them, why is a cow any different?

If you curbed your appetite for meat, the animals would be happier,

Probably not. You have no evidence, at all, to suggest that the animals are kept in anything other than humane conditions, well-fed, well-watered, well looked-after. There is no reason to believe the animals are unhappy. They don't even suffer in death. Let me ask you this: Your dog got cancer. It's on the last inch of its life and is suffering. Do you think it is more cruel to have it put down, or to leave it alive to suffer more?
Also, let me ask you this: You have two choices in my current scenario: You are in the Gobi desert. There is no plant life within your ability to walk to it, as your camel has just died. You are hungry. If you eat the camel, you'll live long enough to be rescued. If you don't, you will starve to death. What do you do?

...our environment cleaner

Bullshit. Plants are not efficient energy sources. Think of all the trees we'd have to cut down just to fit all the extra farmland on (and you PETA types are nothing if not anti-deforestation! Oohh, double standards, fucktard). Not to mention the cruelty to vegetables. What sort of processes don't you think vegetable-based foods go through? Never heard of fertiliser? Pesticide? Preservative treatment? Cross-cut cloning (you don't even want to know what genetic modification went on to make broccoli, cauliflower and maize-wheat). You know that apple you're munching on? I hope you washed it first...oh wait. That'd hurt all the precious little bacterias.

and - you would be healthier!

Not so. I'm not about to die of anaemia or protein deficiency. And just because I eat meat doesn't mean I don't eat plants. The world isn't so fucking black and white as that. True, if I eat 9 steaks a day, 5 burgers and 20 glasses of full-fat milk a day, I'm probably not going to be all that healthy. But neither is someone who eats 20 packets of crisps, 5 bags of peanuts, and 20 glasses of orange juice. Everything is OK in moderation.

Better luck next time, you overpious preachy shithead.

@Vort: I take issue with the attitude and the preachiness. That's why I created this thread. If he wants to disagree, that's fine, but look at his post. His post proves my point about overpious holier-than-thou bollocks about how we're all damned to hell because we eat the occasional burger. That is why I flame, not because he disagrees. He's welcome to do that, but he's also welcome to not talk down at me like I'm some sort of retard because I eat what I want to eat, not what he doesn't want me to eat.

#42 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

That was a massive waste of time if I ever saw one.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#43 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

Yeah, but it made me feel better.

#44 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  • Projects:Worldbuilding
  •  The Undead

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:28 AM

Humans have been eating meat since...well, since before homo sapiens evolved. Why is it now that anyone seems to think it isn't right?

I don't know why people don't like it now, but I do know all that disgusting stuff that goes with it (I.E. grease) wasn't what nature had in mind for us eating.

Now I will say one thing on the behalf of milk - Want less fat, get some skim milk, you fat bastards. :wink_new:

EDIT: We've already established that if it's PETA related, it's spam, clam down.

Edited by Durandel, 03 June 2009 - 02:45 AM.

#45 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:53 AM

What has happened to our veggies in a lot of ways isn't better. I mean, potatoe chips?
Being a total douche.

#46 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:54 AM

What has happened to our veggies in a lot of ways isn't better. I mean, potatoe chips?

I swear, I'm going to punch the person who made Junk Food. :wink_new:

#47 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:57 AM

There is no "e" in the singular of potato. :wink_new:

That said, potato chips are much worse for you than a well-trimmed steak. They don't taste as good, either. :good:
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#48 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

But they're easier to get... I mean, go to the store, buy a bag, open, eat... :wink_new:

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#49 olli

olli

Resident Pilot

• Project Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • Projects:Remix Escalation Top Quality Imaginer and Pro Tester. CnC Guild Gossip Whore
  •  Misanthropic Hulking Adonis

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

Maybe one day we can all live off one food supplement pill taken once a day. Like how they imagined what “The Future" would be like in the 50's I.e. 50 years later.

But look at us now! There are more obese fast food loving, grease monkeys than you can shake a stick at.
Posted Image
CnC Guild - As ancient as time itself.
Do you like anything CnC releated? Then the CnC guild likes you! Go make friends with it.

Latest Remix Escalation on ModDB
Remix Escalation on Revora - Track the latest news and changes.

#50 Rattuskid

Rattuskid

I used to be somebody noteworthy... I think

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • Projects:Osmium (mostly dead), Immunizer (crib death) and Spritezkrieg (also crib death)
  •  Rattus Norvegicus (bitch)

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

There is no "e" in the singular of potato. :wink_new:

Jump under a train. Thanks.
Being a total douche.

#51 Puppeteer

Puppeteer

title available

• Global Moderators
  • 2,947 posts
  •  Faute de Mieux
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Magazine Staff/Global Moderator

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

I'm of a similar sentiment, stop pointing that out ithlienranger. It's annoying and pointless.
I'm also of a similar sentiment to this issue as Rattuskid was to religion: either become a vegetarian / vegan or don't, then

shut the fuck up about it.

#52 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

Nice text-rant up there Ash, got my approval ;)

Come from a farm myself, and if anything, the cattle we got would never have known existence if it wasn't for us humans wanting to eat meat. I think they prefer a acceptable long life instead of oblivion.

Also, the only thing we really do to the cattle is being selective in which ones we want to breed. Good ones get to live, bad ones gets to become burger early on. No hormones or that kinda shit, thats barely legal anywhere in the world. only real choice we got after that is what kind of bull we use to impregnate the cows with. But if anything thats merely eugenics/selective breeding.

hmm, all this meat talk made me want a carrot. nothing like a carrot now and then :rolleyes:

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#53 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:50 AM

You're getting into a whole weird area there Duke.

#54 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:32 AM

dont you love a good rant Ash?
it always makes you feel better

BASELESS ASSUMPTION #1: Therefore, breast cancer is linked to oestrogen.

Just like global warming is linked to pirates!
you see, back in ye days of old, pirates were running rampant, and this global warming stuff was nothing. Now however, we have nearly no pirates, and as a direct result global warming has occurred. A direct relationship between pirate populations and global temperatures is evident.

I love nonsensical arguments that seem to 'make sense' but are just wrong, they're fun.

Anyway, i said what i wanted to :rolleyes:

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 segwayrulz

segwayrulz

title available

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Projects:....

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

Nice ranting Ash :wink_new:
In my experience of working at McDonalds for about 1.5 years, I will have to say some people are just strange in what they want to eat.
seriously someone has burgers without buns, ive seen someone put a cheeseburger in a milkshake... and much more, but the worst thing is when people that I work with 'experiment' with food (we get stuff half price or steal it so we can make what we want, even if its not allowed by the health department)

#56 Spectre

Spectre

Rampant AI

• Hosted
  • 1,240 posts
  •  The Undead

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

someone put a cheeseburger in a milkshake...

WHAT!? :wink_new:

#57 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:28 AM

Go to a Steak & Shake once a week and that won't be to weird to hear about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users