#1 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

1) First up are the Blue Wizards. While all the powers are not complete, I'll walk through a couple of things.
- When the blue wizards are near each other they enhance each other's power (Company of Isari). The bonus gained is a toned-down Gandalf the white (+Spell Damage, -Recharge Time). Video
- Of the Istari in the mod, Morinehtar is unique that he has 2 commandsets that you can switch between. The first are his normal powers, the second is a set of power to summon illusion units. These range from basic rhun/harad/khand infantry/cavalry to nature units (spiders, wargs, horses, etc.) to massive illusions etc. The illusions really don't do any damage, and when struck disappear in a puff of smoke. Video
- Morinehtar's level 10 power is "Blinding Light". He creates a brillant white light that knocks back enemy units for minimal damage and virtually blinds them for a time, reducing their vision. Video
- Romestamo's level 10 power is "Rock Formation". He summons an animated rock unit for massive damage to enemy units. Summon Battle

2) Wulf, Isengard's Wildman chief has been re-done to be an axe-thrower instead of toggle unit. Screenshots - 1 2 3 Raze Building Power

3) Many elven units are being worked over with new skins, new units, etc. Here are some of the ones you can look forward to:
Mirkwood Archer (reskin by Shikari) - 1 2
Mirkwood Warrior (skin by Shikari) - 1 2 3
Rivendell Spearmen (skin by Shikari) - 1 2 3 4
Celeborn - 1 2 3
Elrond (skin by EHL) - 1 2 3

4) The last item for the update are the goblins. I've never been satisfied with any HA version of the basic goblin units, so I thought I'd try another approach. To start goblins have absolutely no armor, and when they buy the HA upgrade they gain their armor of their normal skins, which I think works well for a heavy armor skin.
Goblin Fighters - 1 2
Goblin Archers - 1 2
Goblin Pikemen - 1 2

While this doesn't cover everything that is being worked on, it should give you an idea of what's happening right now in RJ.

As always, thank you for playing!
Robert J.

#2 Gothmog14

Gothmog14

title available

• Project Team
  • 343 posts
  • Projects:RJ - RotWK Beta

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

Blinding Light is brilliant. I like the new goblins, but they feel like they're missing something. Maybe give the unarmored ones a shield, or another weapon on their back (just for visual effect)?

Posted Image
Thanks to Shikari for the sig
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Funbomb

Funbomb
  • Project Team
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:55 PM

Love the new Istari powers, especially the illusion army. You can just use that to divert your enemy to make them follow the fakes while you have a real army attack another way.
Posted Image <---2nd Sig I Made
Posted Image <---4th
Posted Image

#4 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  • Projects:RJ RotWK, Twilight of the Republic, HDLH
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

Or attack with a horde or two and make it look like 15.

Nice update, maybe blinding light could make archers incredibly unaccurate?

yodasig2.png
My political compass
There's a story that the grass is so green...what did I see? Where have I been?

#5 Thorongil45

Thorongil45
  • Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

like this update. celeborn looks :p the new elven unit skins looks good, but i don't really care for elrond's new skin. the goblins though.....brilliant idea there, looks good. :p
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Black Dragon

Black Dragon

title available

• Project Team
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:03 AM

Woah excellant stuff!

1) Love the blinding light ability. Although I think that to avoid it being like another Word of Power, perhaps have it not knock back enemies but instead freeze them, have them cower away for a long duration a bit like the Horn of Gondor yet more effective. Also, how about making him continue to glow afterward for about 30 seconds giving making him somewhat untargetable due to the blinding light? If not then its still an excellant power as it is.

2) The rock monster is excellant, very unique and oddly it still feels as though its part of the Lord of the Rings lore. Part of me feels like it would be an excellant spellbook power however given its nature. What would be cool is if unlike the balrog the rock monster could not be harmed by anything except magic and artillery. To balance, simply alter the time it can last for, what this would do is make him feel as though he is literally made of stone and nothing but magic and siege can harm it.

3) Wulf looks cool, he should be able to summon wildmen also as his level 10 ability.

4) The elven skins are yet again amazing, however I have to agree that Elrond isn't as great. It feels as though he isn't ready for battle, which goes against Elronds present role in the game as a very offensive unit. Perhaps put him in armor similar to that from the last alliance?

5) Goblins are excellant, I like that they seem primitive. Will this mean that orcs are stronger than them? At the moment Goblins cost 50, Orcs are free, but Orcs have armor which would imply they are stronger and perhaps need to cost soemthing? Although obviously balance is a factor.

blackdragon.jpg

#7 robnkarla

robnkarla

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,849 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK
  •  crazy coder

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

I'm going to work on creating a shield for the goblins to use in some fashion. I've also re-done the goblin banner carrier to have a HA and a regular version to match the rest of the units.

Elrond's skin is being re-worked. For this I'm also working on 2 more variations for him (Mainly this is for different missions/scenes in the campaign, but also I've been thinking about having elrond in the Elven faction be similar to Arwen, where he is in his robes at an early level then puts on his armor a little later. I have not decided for sure about this.)

Blinding light - I like the idea of a lasting affect of the blinding light (a glow about him). I'm debating on the knock-back, but for now it is being toned down. It's either going to be a fallback type amount or a stun with new fx. It would be cool I think to have a white stun fx for when it is used.

Wulf's powers - He has Steal Resources, Leadership for wildmen, Raze building, & Fire-snare. (Stuns an area of units and lights a fire around them as watch them burn :thumbsupsmiley: I might do a summon wildman, but that might just a little too much for him. It will all come down to when I do the balance.

Goblins - Well, the cost for the goblins is not really only for the unit, but for the free special power of poison blades. Also, with the cost they also can have a quicker buildtime than the orcs, which makes them really cheap and much more spammable imo. Also fixed a bug with the goblin fighters heavy armor. It seems that they were getting the visual upgrade but were dying just as quickly.

There is a lot still left to do, but this have been coming along very nicely in the past 1-2 weeks.

Robert J.

And if you want to see a day-time shot of the animated rock without fx:

http://rjrotwk.the3r...ething_new1.wmv
http://rjrotwk.the3r...ething_new2.wmv

#8 Caluadan

Caluadan

"When you cease to exist, then who will you blame?"

• Project Team
  • 1,101 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East
  •  Artist, Skinner, Modeller, Website Designer

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

that is "something new" indeed..
great :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
My artwork this far
| Battles of Gondor | Wars of the East | Last Alliance

Positive to nuclear energy, taxes (preferably high) and the European Union
Negative to car traffic and US foreign policy

#9 Ergopad

Ergopad
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

Goblins look MUCH BETTER. Does their arrows have to be white (instead of black for example)?

As well as Mirkwood archers/swordsmen look nice. And Rivendell Spearmen are awesome, fits perfectly to the rest of the elven units! ;)

Wulf looks kind of like a dull and not very unique, but I guess it have to go.

Celeborn is good, no complains here.

But Elrond, why, in the name of God, he would go to battle without armor, like in battle of the Last Alliance? Skin looks great, and could be used in cinematic sequence, but not in the game, IMO. ;)

Blue Wizards' powers sounds good, do you have full list of their abilities? I hope the rest are as unique, as those you have already mentioned.

Overall, great job, as always. :p

PS. Any progress on the campaign, or are you focused to finish the units/factions?

PPS. Just a thought, are you planning to add "strike powers" to units, like Nazghul's morgul's blade?

Edited by Ergopad, 31 January 2008 - 10:59 PM.

Posted Image
The Path of The Avatar

Heroes never die
...As long as they are remembered.

#10 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

Oh, he could have armor under the robe :p This would be elve's elrond probably, the other would go to arnor.

Campaign is on hold atm, he's trying to get a balance fix out before the tournament.

Strik abilitites? What do you mean?

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#11 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

the Mysterious

• Project Team
  • 573 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

The new goblins just own. GJ.
Posted Image

#12 Scryer

Scryer

title available

• Project Team
  • 565 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:40 AM

I love the blue wizard's powers. And I love the new models.

But I think that you should be careful with the Blue Wizards. From the looks of it, it looks like they could easily make MOTE very overpowered.

Also, M's illusion abilities also really encourage the use of scouts - units that I find really useless.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Devon

Devon

Dark Nerd of the Sith

• Global Moderators
  • 5,886 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Donated

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

Theyre anything but useless. What would you do if you saw a huge group of lancers charging your base? ;)

yodasig2.png
My political compass

#14 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Roaming the forums in the guise of a guest
  •  Liberal-turned-libertarian (with conservative tendencies)

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

To be honest, I don't like either Celeborn or Elrond's new skins. Neither of them have any armour. This upsets me because all heroes but the hobbits (save Frodo) and the Nazgul (they're undead, they don't need it) have armour. CaH's don't count. Personally, all I want to see in Elrond is his old skin but given a major face-lift. Celeborn.. I like his level 4 armour. And to quickly address Yoda's little coment, there was no armour under the robe, he wore the robe in the council of Elrond. The imagination is not supposed to have to do that much work in a video game. Celeborn is a bit better off because his robe looks like something may be under it (unlikely but possibly) but Elrond's Last Alliance armour with a facelift is by far the most logical choice.

Edited by Crazy Intellectual Liberal, 06 March 2008 - 10:50 PM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#15 Myrdin

Myrdin

title available

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

The Arnor Elrond - i think it would be owning if you guys could model him up like he looked in Last Alliance battle ( with that spear, and armor ) i really like that, how he looked in there
"Let this scar signify the first blow against the mortal world."
"From this seal shall arise the doom of men,"
"who, in their arrogance, sought to wield our fire as their own."
"Blindly they build their kingdoms upon stolen knowledge and conceit."
"Now they shall be consumed by the very flame they sought to control."
"Let the echoes of doom resound across this wretched world, that all who live may hear them and despair."

"Tremble, mortals, and despair! Doom has come to this world!"

#16 Shinobi.

Shinobi.
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK
  •  Mapper

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

Yeh i have to agree with Myrdin there, only thing is he didn't have a spear that was Gil-Galad
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Xingdao Fan

Xingdao Fan

the Mysterious

• Project Team
  • 573 posts
  • Projects:RJ-RotWK (BETA testing)

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

I think Elrond was alright with his EA skin: the Battle of Middle Earth has began, Elrond dresses his old war suit as Sauron threatens Middle-Earth again. Something along those lines, lol.
Posted Image

#18 Myrdin

Myrdin

title available

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

Yeh i have to agree with Myrdin there, only thing is he didn't have a spear that was Gil-Galad

i can prove my words :thumbsupsmiley: here s a link,

at the 00:42 second, you can see Elrond kill an orc with a spear
"Let the echoes of doom resound across this wretched world, that all who live may hear them and despair."

#19 Shinobi.

Shinobi.
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Projects:RJ-ROTWK
  •  Mapper

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

Yes i thought it was Elrond to start with but its not its Gil- Galad

Proof- http://www.framecapl...tr/fotr0015.htm

http://www.tuckborou.../gil-galad.html

also his spear was named Aeglos
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Myrdin

Myrdin

title available

• Members
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:42 AM

ok i admit. but its funny they look fast the same with elrond

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users