Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

It means that they don't detect other units and stop from pathing through them. You can see this when you put hordes on a wall, for example - sometimes they will stand "inside" each other, also when the horde turns they'll run through each other. So imagine this with slower moving, large trolls and the like...

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#22 kennethain

kennethain

quoth the raven, "nevermore"

• Project Team
  • 158 posts
  • Projects:life.
  •  RA beta rabble

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:22 AM

Oh OK. Yeah, that would look extremely foolish. I see your point now.
the dude abides.

#23 Olorin

Olorin

Mithrandir

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  That wandering conjuror...

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:09 AM

OK, someone mentioned combining soldiers with battering rams (can't remember who), but from a logical point of view this could be taken further to include all manner of machine, e.g. catapults, trebuchets and the like (except Grond, of course, although if it's possible to place archers on it as in the films...not likely). I can't remember if this has been done already though.

Also, about the infantry-cavalry combos: remember the tutorial in B4ME? There was a scene in it where there were (I think) a group of peasants and Rohirrim combined. The peasants advanced on the enemy while the cavalry trotted behind, and then when the melee was about to begin, the cavalry charged forth and trampled the enemy. It's not as bad a combo as you think.

Edit: I had suggested this to Celeglin for TEA, but it was a little 'off the path' for him. Anyway, how about hobbits combining with Ents, as well as mounted heroes such as Gandalf and Eowyn? Would this be possible?

Edited by Olorin, 10 February 2008 - 03:12 AM.

Posted Image

...The Journey doesn't end here; death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. White shores...and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise...

...Many folk like to know beforehand what is to be set on the table; but those who have laboured to prepare the feast like to keep their secret; for wonder makes the words of praise louder...

...Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom... ~ Gandalf the White, The Return of the King

#24 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:30 AM

Yes, I think we're including that. Although having them mount with Eowyn would ruin her Disguise ability so I don't know how that would work.
Posted Image

#25 MorgoththeMight

MorgoththeMight
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  BFME player

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:32 AM

It is possible, the elvenstar mod did it, but I don't know if the staff would like it, and I also don't see the use of combining your hobbit with gandalf?..

#26 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

getting them fast as hell to the battlefield, to rank 10, ect... :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#27 MorgoththeMight

MorgoththeMight
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  •  BFME player

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

yeah but why on earth would you want your hobbit lvl 10 when you got gandalf to fight with, and probably also an army, since you're in the late game (gandalf) ..? I mean.. hobbits are kinda the early game heroes, who become quite useless in the late game.. but if you're gonna change that, I'll be fine with that too :p

#28 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:35 PM

but your forgetting a very important thing mate...
link
see any cool buttons? :p
As far as I remember, the hobbits were good heroes to use, both early, mid and late game... It's just a matter on how you use them :)

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#29 Guess Who

Guess Who

title available

• Project Team
  • 969 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The East, Project Siege
  •  2d Artist, Modeller, Skinner, Binder, Basic Coder, Learning Animating, mapping, fx coding.

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

Hobbits are so cool, especially Pippin.
Posted Image Posted Image
My current projects: Wars of The East, Project Siege
--------------------------------------
99% Fat Free.

#30 MasterSilver

MasterSilver
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

I don't know if this would go here, or if anyone has asked but, will there be formations which combined hordes especially will be able to stay in. Such as box formation. This would be when pikes or swords form a box around archers or siege weapons. Or let's say split formation in the case of trolls, or even slow moving heroes. If any of you have played age of mythology you or other age of empire games you will know what I'm talking about. Just wondering.
Peace

#31 Elen Naro

Elen Naro
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

I think there should be a way of splitting up combo hordes again. If you feel it's bad for balance, you could make it pricey or something? Just suggesting.
Am I Belgian or Flemish? Hmm, me thinks I'll just stick to European...

#32 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

The problem is the upgrades/experience bug, so it would just lead to exploitation.
Posted Image

#33 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

and if you do have it cost money...
it sucks for non-upgraded hordes :good:

besides... why split a horde you've merged? :p

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#34 Elen Naro

Elen Naro
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

Couldn't you make the cost a function of upgrades/experience? And I'd split it because I like how merged hordes look, but I think they have tactical disadvantages (loss of special formations etc).
Am I Belgian or Flemish? Hmm, me thinks I'll just stick to European...

#35 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

besides... why split a horde you've merged?

Well...this one time in the Campaign, I accedently combined my Rohirrim with a Peasant battalion..
So then I had to deal with them being so...slow...and pretty much useless for the rest of the game -_-

#36 KingBradley

KingBradley
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

A heroes combo, maybe? To combine it with the normal troop or with the other hero just to make them together in some formation.

#37 kennethain

kennethain

quoth the raven, "nevermore"

• Project Team
  • 158 posts
  • Projects:life.
  •  RA beta rabble

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

My only argument against splitting combined hordes is that once they split, both new hordes have the upgrades and rank that the combined horde had... In other words, if you combine two battalions of Gondor Soldiers, one fully upgraded and rank 10 and the other being brand new, when they are split you now have two battalions of rank 10 fully upgraded soldiers. This is great for you, but rather unfair to the opponent. It would really eliminate the need to buy upgrades for more than one battalion so a player could quickly upgrade his entire army without spending much money at all... Unless that is of course something you've thought about and it could be used as a strategy :crazed:
the dude abides.

#38 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:44 AM

Perhaps you could implement splitting hordes, but make it cost the highest amount of money you could spend to make a unit fully upgraded, plus an extra amount in case the unit has experience. For example, If It costs 1500 resources to purchase all the possible upgrades, and that is more money than it takes for any other unit, than 1500 becomes the base for pricing. I doubt it's possible to create individual pricing for every possible combo horde, and even if it was, it would be too much work. If you decide to implement this, you should probably just add like 1000 for experience to the price or something like that.

KotW%20Left%20Morgul%20Banner.jpg
KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#39 MasterSilver

MasterSilver
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

Hey man, that sounds like an excellent idea. Instead of having it the same for everyone though I would make the price different for some factions. For example it would cost more to split a an elven horde than for mordor, because elven upgrades cost more. I would also, I don't know if this is possible have the units loose some excperience because they earned most of there experience working together and they will need to learn how to function independently again. Tell me what you think, and is it just me or do the forums seem dead. Hopefully people are just vacationing, have a great rest of summer :facepalm: .
Peace

#40 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

Thanks, and yeah, the forums do seem kind of dead...

KotW%20Left%20Morgul%20Banner.jpg
KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users