Quick Question RE: New Faction in Zero Hour

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Nefarious

Mr Nefarious
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

I am adding a new faction to Zero Hour. Sort of a Boss General thing. Following a tutorial here I was able to clone an entire existing side's units, buildings, sciences, etc to my new faction. No problem there. I would like to take various existing units from the existing factions and add them to my new faction. The problem I am having is I am unable to figure out how and where to tell my new faction to read its units from. I am of the understanding that Zero Hour reads thru everything in the data/ini/object directory to figure out what units go with which faction. In my testing I changed "side" from the USA Laser General's Laser Tank from "AmericaLaserGeneral" to "Blah" in the LaserGeneral.ini. I also commented out the maxlimit line on Mr Burton to make sure the game was reading my edited file. I start a skirmish as the laser general. I am able to make an entire mob of Burtons. So I know the game read my file fine. However, I was still able to build laser tanks. I know I would need to change the commandset for the laser general's war factory to remove the button totally. But I would think that the button should be grayed out or something if that unit didn't belong to the side I was playing. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Huzegun

Huzegun
  • Project Team
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

No. Seeing as it dosen't require 'Science Lazer General' or something like that, nor does it require a specail generals power, you could get it, theoritcally, as any side, so long as you had the Lazer general's Warfactory.

ALSO.
From my experaince in making mod switching, I know the damned game will hunt in -all- of its folders for files.

#3 beng

beng
  • Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:13 AM

The
Side = [faction name]
line is used for world builder to put the object in it's object tree, like the EditorSorting line
It is not used much, if at all, in the game itself.
It may be used by GLA to make junk salvage crates but i am not sure of that as i don't know where the game reads the faction information of a unit from, it may be from the player owning the object rather than from the object itself.

Controlling who can build what is done using Prereqisites

Edited by beng, 24 June 2008 - 12:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users