• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Smartdude1301

Smartdude1301

title available

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Projects:WarsOfEast,Rise Of The Hobbits
  •  Leader Of Bfme2 Redone 1.7 Mod,Wars Of The East Advertiser, ,&:Ini Coder, Mapper,

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:10 PM

<Ahem>... my statement goes to ALL of your posts, not just the previous one :)

I Know lol :wink_new:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit My New bfme forum :)

Here

#42 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

I would highly suggest dumping the idea of Hobbits "with rockets". The only people that ever used anything like that were the Istari - and only two of them for sure, that being Gandalf and Saruman*.
Also, the only reason any Hobbits ever used swords in battle were because they were given to them - that being the Barrow-blades given to Frodo and Company by Tom Bombadil in the books, and the spare knives given to them by Aragorn in the films.
One more thing..Bilbo's "rage" ability...uh, what? lol...
In conclusion, I'd say drop everything that you've come up with so far, and then read the books and watch the movies. Then try again.
Cheers,
-mike

#43 Grizzlez

Grizzlez

title available

• Project Team
  • 667 posts
  •  Coder/ini/FX writer, Skinner

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

The hobbits werent a great big faction, i dont really like the idea. Also i didnt realise the two of your were experienced modders-this seems like a fair bit of work to make it half decent.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 lycan

lycan

title available

• Banned
  • 553 posts
  • Projects:HP Mod
  •  Im just a guy around these forums

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

they use this thread like msn lol

#45 Smartdude1301

Smartdude1301

title available

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  Leader Of Bfme2 Redone 1.7 Mod,Wars Of The East Advertiser, ,&:Ini Coder, Mapper,

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

they use this thread like msn lol

No We talk through aim now and im not a way experianced modder i know ini coding and alot of modeling and skining now that i learned and throngil i s my mapper
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here

#46 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  • Projects:Wars of the East mod
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

@Elfhelm: yup, good reasoning, but hey, do you have any good idea for Hobbit siege unit(s) apart from that ? And besides, they could have Gandalf the Grey as a late-game hero and then the problem is solved :D as for swords, you are right, but I don't think that the Hobbits used only their working tools when they drove back the Goblins of the Misty Mountains... if you ask me, yeah, Hobbits don't use weapons too much, but if need rises, they could forge and use swords.

@Grizzlez: hey, if Lauri eventually did his own Hobbit Mod, then other people also have the right to do so... right ?

@Smartdude: <sigh>... you just continue using "quote" without reason. This is hopeless, I guess :p

And now, some further ideas:

Building ideas:

- Hobbit Farm (generates resources based on avaible terrain; also trains Hobbit Farmers)
- Hobbit House (generates CP; also, Houses are connected via a Tunnel Network*)
- Militia House (trains Hobbit Pitchforkers, Hobbit Hunters, Hobbit Pony Riders, Guard Dogs, and Hobbit Shiriffs)
- Bree Inn (trains Bree Watchmen and Woody End Watchers)
- Dunedain Camp (trains Dunedain Rangers and Dunedain Riders)
- Fireworks Warehouse (trains Fireworks Group and Rocket Shooter)
- Lookout Tower** (defensive building, can be upgraded with Fire Arrows)
- Market (economy upgrades)
- Dunedain Blacksmith (unit upgrades)
- Medic's Tent (heals allies close to it; heal does not work if units are fighting)

Heroes (abilities later):

- Merry (early-game, scout/fighter)
- Pippin (early-game, scout/fighter)
- Sam (mid-game, supporter)
- Bilbo (mid-game, scout/supporter)
- Halbarad*** (late-game, fighter/supporter)
- Frodo (late-game, fighter/supporter)
- Tom Bombadil (Ring Hero)

*if possible, this Tunnel Network addition should be avaible ONLY after an upgrade :p
**a wooden lookout tower, occupied by two Dunedain Rangers and a Hobbit Hunter...
***Halbarad was one of Aragorn's friends; he was also one of the Dunedain Rangers who protected the Shire.
Posted Image
---
"Well, I can't argue with that - modding IS hard. But what would have become of games like Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Dungeon Siege, Half-Life 1-2, Neverwinter Nights and BfME 1-2 if we, modders, weren't there ? They would have long been forgotten. Modding is hard, but it's an honorable thing." - MorrisB

#47 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

"don't make hobbits, don't make hobbits"... Your all late, why didn't you all say that to me?! :p

Anyways, shoot ahead with making hobbits :) They would of course not stand any real chance against neither Isengard nor Mordor, but they stood against the scouring of the Shire....
IMO, no tunnel network... They had their houses underground... Not tunnels...
IMO2, don't make any blacksmith... hobbits did have swords, they were just hanging above their 'fireplace' :) :D Not all of course, and maybe not many... But I know Paladin did have one :p Istead of that, they would've used their tools... If crisis were upon them, I don't think they'd have much time to forge swords, and I don't think that forging swords were something all 'smithers' would know how to do :p Tools are of course axes too :p Not the worst weapon...

Oh, yeah.. Heroes?
They really need loads of heroes IMO... more than these, but oh well..

- Tom Cotton (early-game, archer)
- Farmer Maggot (early-game, fighter, Grip, Fang and Wolf would be guarding him, like neutral units guard their lair)
- Merry (mid-game, fighter)
- Pippin (mid-game, fighter)
- Sam (mid-game, supporter)
- Paladin Took (late-game, fighter)
- Halbarad (late-game, fighter/supporter)
- Frodo (Ring Hero)

Edited by Lauri, 23 February 2008 - 09:20 PM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#48 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

Siege
Yes, that is a pickle..my only thought would be Ents, as one - or something similar to one - is mentioned early in FotR.
Swords
You bring up a valid point with the Misty Mountains/Battle of Greenfields example. However, Bandabras "Bull-Roarer" Took - supposedly the leader of the Hobbits in this battle - is said to have used a club to decapitate the leader of the Goblins. Not a sword, a club.
If any swords existed in the Shire, chances are they would have been used for decoration purposes only.
Lastly, I agree with Lauri in that the Hobbits are a difficult faction to design - much less make. Truthfully, they wouldn't have stood a chance against any of the major powers at work at the time.
Cheers,
-mike

Edited by elfhelm.., 23 February 2008 - 09:43 PM.

#49 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

I said that, having the swords hanging above the fireplace :p In the livingroom, yes... :D For decoration, most likely as Sting hangs in Frodo's room at the end of RotK :p Useable, but just decoration at the time....
Clubs, axes and tools (most likely for farming, using in their gardens, ect..) should be their default weapons... also sticks, which would be clubs, only rougher :p

Siege?
No ents, as they aren't any other place than Fangorn.... IMO, not any tree that may have lived in the Old Forest either...
I'd say fireworks, as it's very uniqe (well, compared to the other factions... it's not a brand new idea :))....
Uniqeness is something that you've just have to got when your making a faction of hobbits...
Otherwise, it could be regular siege with the Dunedain, but as it's unlikely they carried that with them when they just guard the borders, it's... not a good idea :) But it it's no fireworks, I'd say something of the Dunedain :p
Or maybe a hobbit ram...? just a tree without it's sticks and the top, carried by hobbits... That's not unlikely, is it?

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#50 Smartdude1301

Smartdude1301

title available

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:18 AM

also larui hobbits to have a chance to gobs mordor and isengard :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here

#51 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:30 AM

How do they have a chance against full-fledged military forces? Exactly.

#52 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:50 AM

well, of course you've got to make them able to defeat them in the mod :spam:
But in reality (well fiction technically :p) they wouldn't stand a chance...
10 000 orcs in the Shire, outcome?
Hobbits = All dead
orcs = 1-200 dead, possibly more...
of course, the hobbits could've won... if the orcs sent in one and one :mad2:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#53 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

Heh, it's nice that Lauri has finally showed up :mad2:

As for tunnel network: I know it sounds strange at first, but I guess that if they were able to build their houses underground, there could have been a possibility that the Hobbits (at least some of them, maybe the Tooks ?) also built tunnels - as escape routes or such... I don't think this is impossible.

And the Blacksmith... look, I don't think all the Hobbits made their fine STEEL tools themselves... and besides, I had the idea of DUNEDAIN Blacksmith - I guess this is okay, since they are more warlike than the Hobbits were, and could have forged weapons if needed.

The fact that the Hobbits wouldn't be a real challenge for Mordor or Isengard in reality doesn't mean that they couldn't won battles in a fan-made mod, now does it ? :p
Posted Image
---
"Well, I can't argue with that - modding IS hard. But what would have become of games like Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Dungeon Siege, Half-Life 1-2, Neverwinter Nights and BfME 1-2 if we, modders, weren't there ? They would have long been forgotten. Modding is hard, but it's an honorable thing." - MorrisB

#54 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:36 PM

no, dummy... I already stated that :p
And I'm still in no for the tunnel network... :mad2:
And I know you meant Dunedain Blacksmith... But when you think of it, if an enemy is in the Shire, then they have passed the Dunedain...
Technically, that means that there aren't much dunedain around, and they would've been warned I think...

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#55 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hmm, true... but without proper upgrades, they REALLY don't stand a chance against other factions. Maybe a "Tools of War" upgrade which upgrades BOTH armor and damage for melee units, and "Studded Leather" and "Fire Arrows" for archers ? These could be purhasced from Bree Inn or Militia House...
Posted Image
---

#56 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

well, hobbits are small and they can probably be very good to 'block' incoming attacks...

Still, they should have some kinda upgrade... Or rely on huge leadership bonuses by their heroes...

edit: also, I think they should have a huge attack, but low armor, since they can probably get in close and atleast stab a bastard or two before going down... :p

Edited by Lauri, 24 February 2008 - 04:32 PM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

#57 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

Well, I think only Halbarad and Paladin Took could be real leader-types... and they still wouldn't match Aragorn or Theoden in this way :p and even if Tom Bombadil also would have a big Leadership bonus, it still wouldn't help much (because Tom Bombadil would be more fitting for a Ring Hero than Frodo if ya' ask me... but if yes, then he would require the One Ring :spam: ).

So I guess we'll go with upgrades.

PS: if we think in the way as you do, then:
- Hobbits can easily evade attacks due to their small size...
- ...and stab a bastard or two because they can easily get close.

Now I understand why fantasy Dwarves and other small creatures are so hard to kill :mad2:
Posted Image
---

#58 Smartdude1301

Smartdude1301

title available

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

well, hobbits are small and they can probably be very good to 'block' incoming attacks...

Still, they should have some kinda upgrade... Or rely on huge leadership bonuses by their heroes...

edit: also, I think they should have a huge attack, but low armor, since they can probably get in close and atleast stab a bastard or two before going down... :mad2:

no cursing just take your nonsense somewhere else please i wont allow this lanquage on my thread :p
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here

#59 MorrisB

MorrisB

Wanderer of the East

• Project Team
  • 884 posts
  •  Loremaster of WotE

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

You could be nicer to Lauri, Smartdude - he is actually trying to help ya' :p
Posted Image
---

#60 Smartdude1301

Smartdude1301

title available

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

You could be nicer to Lauri, Smartdude - he is actually trying to help ya' :p

I KNOW HES TRYING TO HELP AND I APPRECIATE THAT BUT HE DOESNT HAVE TO USE THAT LANQUAGE LIKE HE SAID BASTARD

Oh dear as we know bastard is the height of swearing. I on the other hand hate stupid little newbies who use caps and try to be righteous. And here, just to upset you more: Bugger, bastard, shit, whoopsies, knickers.

Quit being an idiot and try to learn to mod.

Edited by Dain Ironfoot, 24 February 2008 - 06:33 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users