Photo

Automatic Abilities?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Wintermist

Wintermist
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:46 AM

Is it hard to modify the AI so that it works for my own units ability usage unless I am currently controlling a squad?

I don't want my units to run by themselves, just use their abilities on their own when needed. Like throw frags and so on. It's hard to micromanage all troops at the same time and if I left some units at some point while I'm controlling others it would be sweet if they could handle their combat to best of their abilities.

#2 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

Hi Wintermist..

Do you mean how to alter your own squad's AI (not Skirmish AI-Controlled faction)? If you mean your own squad's AI under your control -- no. This is hardcoded by Relic.

There is a mod out there that allows for auto-abilities to be used. I believe you can find it on DoWfiles.com.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#3 Wintermist

Wintermist
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

Hi Wintermist..

Do you mean how to alter your own squad's AI (not Skirmish AI-Controlled faction)? If you mean your own squad's AI under your control -- no. This is hardcoded by Relic.

There is a mod out there that allows for auto-abilities to be used. I believe you can find it on DoWfiles.com.

Yes, I had a look at that mod, but it doesn't work for Dark Crusade. I was wondering how to make a similar mod to that, but based on this AI, but I'm unsure how hard it would be to do. If you want to help out, it would be totally awesome.

#4 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

Why does the AI need to use auto-abilities when it would be given that ability anyway because the mod would automatically use em for a human player? No additional AI scripting is needed.

However, I find the automatic use of unit/building abilities pretty silly - thats just another tactic removed thus further dumbing down the game (which seems what the gaming industry loves doing).

But again, the AI is ZERO to do with the use of auto-abilities as thats a SCAR feature, not AI one.

#5 Wintermist

Wintermist
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:28 PM

Why does the AI need to use auto-abilities when it would be given that ability anyway because the mod would automatically use em for a human player? No additional AI scripting is needed.

However, I find the automatic use of unit/building abilities pretty silly - thats just another tactic removed thus further dumbing down the game (which seems what the gaming industry loves doing).

But again, the AI is ZERO to do with the use of auto-abilities as thats a SCAR feature, not AI one.

It's for my single player enjoyment. So using SCAR and your AI mod, what would I basically have to do to make it work? I want my units to use their abilities much like your AI tells the units to use them, aka, smarter. I'm looking at SCAR at the moment to get into doing a campaign for DoWpro when that times come. No promises yet, but it should happen.

#6 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:43 AM

You'll have the ask the people of the auto-abilities project so support their mod in the DC and perhaps SS campaign. We don't work exclusively for other mod projects.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users