Photo

Xwings are not canonical

70 replies to this topic

#21 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:04 AM

Yes, I could change this proton missile to target shields, but then I'm in sort of a philosophical design bind. If proton torpedoes and proton missiles (and proton bombs, etc.) are essentially the same technology (some kind of nergon-14 reaction... sources disagree on the nature), then why does one bypass shields and one doesn't? I can't answer that question.

midichlorians.

Edited by Clubby, 31 March 2008 - 12:04 AM.

#22 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

The pipefighter was a ruse. Also, while proton torpedoes are often shown to be slightly useful against fighters, that is not their primairy purpose. They are designed to give fighters punch against capital ships. I say leave them as they are.

#23 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:43 AM

The pipefighter was a ruse. Also, while proton torpedoes are often shown to be slightly useful against fighters, that is not their primairy purpose. They are designed to give fighters punch against capital ships. I say leave them as they are.

I agree with that guest on the bottom last page. If a proton torpedo can stop on a dime like that; I think it could hit a fighter.

#24 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

But in the end, it's canon vs. balance. If x-wings could eliminate fighters w/o there even being a dogfight, then you'd have to double tie fighter squadron capacities.

#25 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

But then there is the victory witch destroys every fighter squadran.
"Just once, I'd like to destroy a starship that we didn't pay for!"
"Welcome to the jolly old death star."
"Vader gets the plesure of killing someone while we get to stay among the living. Private Perkins overhere has been stranged over 30 times haven't you Perkins." "Good man."

#26 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

But in the end, it's canon vs. balance. If x-wings could eliminate fighters w/o there even being a dogfight, then you'd have to double tie fighter squadron capacities.

well the Empire was alyways quantity over quality (with fighters at least).

#27 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

But then there is the victory witch destroys every fighter squadran.

So is Recusant, Dreadnought, Dodonna & few others

#28 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

I agree with that guest on the bottom last page. If a proton torpedo can stop on a dime like that; I think it could hit a fighter.

There's a diffrence between being able to turn quickly, and being able to hit a fighter. A bullet turns much slower then an anti-tank missile, but that doesn't mean you will hit people with the missile. The point is, that exaust port wasn't manuvering, even though the torpedo had to make a tight turn. Do torpedoes have the systems to hit fighters, anyway?

#29 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:42 PM

Of course they do. Just play X-Wing Alliance or read the X-Wing series or any space combat on books.

#30 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

AT missiles generally aren't guided, and are used at relatively close range to compensate. Larger missiles carried by fighters are generally guided.

Any missile that can turn like that could follow a fighter, and they're obviously faster.
Besides, the rebels probably would rig a targeting system if they weren't designed that way.

Frosty Freaky Foreign Forum Fox

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#31 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

Of course they do. Just play X-Wing Alliance or read the X-Wing series or any space combat on books.

Still, I would say that those are exceptions. In both, the protagonists are facing vastly superior numbers of fighters, and are using the proton torpedoes to make up for that. Also, torpedoes were rare and expensive, so they would only be used on important targets, anyway.

AT missiles generally aren't guided, and are used at relatively close range to compensate. Larger missiles carried by fighters are generally guided.

Any missile that can turn like that could follow a fighter, and they're obviously faster.
Besides, the rebels probably would rig a targeting system if they weren't designed that way.

I was thinking of somthing like the Javelin, which is guided. The rebels might have, but see my above comment.

#32 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

No, they aren't. In every space combat I've read about so far, fighters use proton torpedoes against other fighters.

#33 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:03 AM

There's a diffrence between being able to turn quickly, and being able to hit a fighter. A bullet turns much slower then an anti-tank missile, but that doesn't mean you will hit people with the missile. The point is, that exaust port wasn't manuvering, even though the torpedo had to make a tight turn. Do torpedoes have the systems to hit fighters, anyway?

Bullets...don't turn.

And modern AT missiles are very guided, some lock on, (javelin) some wire guided. (TOW) Also, missiles as big as tomahawks can hit a doorknob.

I seem to remember in X-wing vs. Tie fighter that there was many different armaments that you could use, like heavy missile, proton, concussion, wouldn't it be feasible to consider ones beings thrown at capital ships are "heavy" torpedos, and the others are anti fighter? Also, couldn't most fighters be fit with them, not just X-wings?

#34 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:37 AM

Bullets...don't turn.

And modern AT missiles are very guided, some lock on, (javelin) some wire guided. (TOW) Also, missiles as big as tomahawks can hit a doorknob.

I seem to remember in X-wing vs. Tie fighter that there was many different armaments that you could use, like heavy missile, proton, concussion, wouldn't it be feasible to consider ones beings thrown at capital ships are "heavy" torpedos, and the others are anti fighter? Also, couldn't most fighters be fit with them, not just X-wings?

My point exactly. Still, we use them against humans, instead of our guided missiles. The problem with your idea is that it would require two different types of fighters. (heavy and anti-fighter missiles)

#35 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:47 AM

Eh... I was thinking more like an AT4...

Anyways, what about having this as an upgrade?

Frosty Freaky Foreign Forum Fox

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#36 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:47 PM

Bullets...don't turn.

My point exactly. Still, we use them against humans, instead of our guided missiles. The problem with your idea is that it would require two different types of fighters. (heavy and anti-fighter missiles)

Fighters aren't infantry. I doubt that torpedos are more expensive than a fighter/and we missile infantry all the time, it's just that you would want to target groups instead of lone soldiers.

Well, you have the tie targeter and the tie fighter, right? And: couldn't you code the fighters to have a switch weapons mode, like the T4-B?

#37 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

Fighters aren't infantry. I doubt that torpedos are more expensive than a fighter/and we missile infantry all the time, it's just that you would want to target groups instead of lone soldiers.

Well, you have the tie targeter and the tie fighter, right? And: couldn't you code the fighters to have a switch weapons mode, like the T4-B?

They could be compared to infantry. I was talking about Anti-tank missiles, becuase I would think they compare closely to proton torpedoes. The switch is possible, but I don't think it should be done. Another possibility: the anti-fighter missiles could only be on later X-wings (this keeps the X-wing novels canon, while still keeping the early ones anti-capital only)

#38 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Maybe make it into an expensive upgrade. And make a little soemthing for the imps to compensate.

#39 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

Maybe make it into an expensive upgrade. And make a little soemthing for the imps to compensate.

I meant, maybe make it an addition for J and later model X-wings, and say Series III and later E-wings.

#40 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:10 PM

It also would have to have like a lock on time, to make it impossible to use in dogfighting.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users