26 replies to this topic

#1 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts
  •  Friendly neighborhood standards Nazi

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

Since M$ have been sweet enough to give me free operating systems, I want to set up a dualboot with XP Pro on my Vista laptop, so was wondering if anyone here a) has done similar or b) knew how much space I should partition for the XP installation. Or indeed, anything else I should probably know before I start messing around with bootloaders and partitions.

World Domination Status: 2.7%

#2 Blade

Blade

title available

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

How much HD space do you have? I'd personally give the most space to XP and leave at least 30GB for the vista partition (since most things are going to work better and faster in XP you will probably want to install them there).

#3 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

since most things are going to work better and faster in XP you will probably want to install them there

it doesn't matter on which partition you install them, they will work anyway.

if you're thinking about getting rid of xp in the future, i'd put that on the smallest partition. keep in mind that you'll need to install most software twice though
bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#4 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

There is no big and small partitions until I know how big or small I need to make one :popcorn:
I think XP SP2 needs 1560 MB peak usage during installation, but would I need much more space besides? I'm guessing I'd still be able to use the main partition for files, so would it be resonable to say 10Gb for XP + XP proggies do you think?

#5 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:13 PM

generally yes, but it depends on what kind of software you use of course. you can only find out by checking what you need and how much space that will cost

if you want to play games on xp, then of course it's a whole different story
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#6 Clement

Clement

title available

• Network Staff
  • 1,442 posts
  • Projects:Various
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:Developer

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

if you want to play games on xp, then of course it's a whole different story

:xcahik_:

Well if you can give 3Go to the XP partition it's better.
A dual boot XP/Vista worked perfectly fine for me, but well, Vista has been removed quickly...
Posted Image

#7 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

Dispite the fact I'm perscribed to a minimum of 6-hours gaming a week, no games, 2play :xcahik_: As its preinstalled with no disk, Vista will remain, and retain its place as the primary OS, as I prefer it to XP. How'd you do it? EasyBCD?

#8 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

Sorry...

I was going to post some vids of a barely legal OS being banged up in all its flaws by a dirty old system with a big toolbar, but the server only goes for Uni xxx.

Sure you can find it all on youtube anyway, just search for something like "Vista sucks," "Windows blows," etc.

Now edit out that "semi-intelligent discussion" part of your complaint :wink_new:

#9 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

http://www.very.net/~nikolai/penix/

#10 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  • Projects:Mutator Week & Unreal 3 Projects
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

Vista will remain, and retain its place as the primary OS, as I prefer it to XP.

Wait, what?

#11 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:56 AM

As the only guy here who uses an OS as an enviroment to run software on a computer rather than a bunch of background tasks on a gaming platform, I find it to be quite reliable, fast, easy to use, and more secure than XP. The networkings better, its faster to run simple tasks like running a program, searching, maintainance is vastly improved. The only software I've had compatability issues with are M$'s, all of which have patches availible and automatically updated themselves when the problems arose, and old versions of IE.
I was skeptical before I used it, but it only took 5mins for me to prefer it. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it, but don't just hate it because its M$, overpriced, and has higher system requirements, because M$ sucking at marketing (and, well, everything), doesn't mean XP is actually better. It means M$ suck at marketing (and, well, everything).
But then, I know a lot of people who scoff Mac's, and I'd be using Leopard too, if I could run it on this.

#12 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:42 AM

I hate it because it's a pain in the arse to work with. SxS configurations that never seem to be right, partial access to certain directories that software needs to be able to read and write to - it's even worse when you have to work with command line software, because you just plain can't tell what's going on. It's fine for average Joe, who just wants to browse the web and play Mp3s - but then average Joe is so much better off buying a lower end machine that really shouldn't have Vista installed on it in the first place >.<

#13 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

I tried to share a documents folder over the network, but it won't let me. I can make the share, but even when I set all kinds of permissions to open, I just can't access it from another PC. Vista, the idea is good, the execution of it...

#14 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

And what exactly is that good idea?

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#15 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

better security is always good, but it mustn't get in the way of usability

#16 Destroyer

Destroyer

Byte me

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Projects:Having fun
  •  Just this guy, you know?

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:38 AM

It takes longer to do basic operations, like copy files and make registry changes. Thus, I prefer XP (and sadly can't use it on this laptop due to hard-drive drivers not being on the XP disk and me being too lazy to modify it)

#17 Blade

Blade

title available

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:32 AM

As the only guy here who uses an OS as an enviroment to run software on a computer rather than a bunch of background tasks on a gaming platform, I find it to be quite reliable, fast, easy to use, and more secure than XP. The networkings better, its faster to run simple tasks like running a program, searching, maintainance is vastly improved. The only software I've had compatability issues with are M$'s, all of which have patches availible and automatically updated themselves when the problems arose, and old versions of IE.

You find it fast? As in faster than XP on the same hardware? Must have some seriously buggy XP drivers for the chipset and disk controllers then. Its easier to use if you need your hand holding to find the various control applets and config options, but if you actually know windows since 98 like the back of your hand, almost everything requires at least one more mouse click than it did before or you have to use search. Maintenance isn't vastly improved at all, and what improvements there are make virtually no difference to a home user... in fact the UAC prompts are likely to annoy the home user who doesn't understand not to install random new screen savers or tool bars. As for software, you clearly don't use a wide range and largely have big name commercial software installed that MS made sure would work. If you had stepped off the path most trodden you'd have walked into a nightmare of troubleshooting and version incompatibilities. From most home users perspectives Vista is better looking, slower running and expensive and that is where the difference to XP ends.

#18 ambershee

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks

• Hosted
  • 3,114 posts
  •  Mad Mod Boffin

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

Creating a new folder in the program files directory takes four 'Are you sure? Do you have permission? Are you really sure? You don't look sure. Are you SURE you have permission?' prompts.

#19 ninjadave

ninjadave
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:23 AM

Though you'll think I'm crazy, I may have to switch over to vista soon enough.

I don't have a problem with annoying computers. I had to work with a Linux Debian before. Even better, I had to do programming with a Linux Debian. If anyone prefers that over Vista, I'd like to see you use it. :thumbsupsmiley:

Though I'm a big fan of XP, many business's now are starting to use vista. I'm getting into the field of Information Technologies, I'm always supposed to be updated with the newest OS's and servers.

As mentioned earlier, if you want to have a dual boot disk, I'd recommend a 60-40 cut. Just give more to your preferred OS. However, back-up all your data. I did a tri-boot with a Linux Ubuntu-Windows 2000 server-2003 XP. After XP found Linux was on the same hard drive, it corrupted the data and also made 2003s files in-operable.

Why can't we just have a perfect one-to-do-it-all OS...

#20 Jeeves

Jeeves

I write the interwebz

• Members
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

Same reason I'm broke; lifes a bitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users