Photo

Zooming out even further. Possible?

10 replies to this topic

#1 abusage

abusage
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

Can you tweak the camer_high.lua file any to be able to zoom out a bit further than it allows. Already it is 1000 times better than default but I'd like to see how it feels if you could back it up even further. Thanks

#2 ArkhanTheBlack

ArkhanTheBlack

title available

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:40 PM

Well, the problem is that zooming out further will cause a lot of fog over the place. We could avoid the fog by using a flater angle, but I don't want to do that because it could upset the casual player. At the moment the angle is almost identical to the standard setting. Therefore you've the advantage to zoom out, but no disadvantage with a strange angle. I'd like to keep it that way.
But you might have a look at the Relic modding sections. There are several mods that use a flater angle which allows to zoom out further. Just copy their camera files and you're fine.

#3 abusage

abusage
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:19 PM

Well, the problem is that zooming out further will cause a lot of fog over the place. We could avoid the fog by using a flater angle, but I don't want to do that because it could upset the casual player. At the moment the angle is almost identical to the standard setting. Therefore you've the advantage to zoom out, but no disadvantage with a strange angle. I'd like to keep it that way.
But you might have a look at the Relic modding sections. There are several mods that use a flater angle which allows to zoom out further. Just copy their camera files and you're fine.

Ok thanks for the info - I believe I'll just keep it as it is. Also, I copied my camera_high.lua file to the same location in the Soulstorm folder but it does not seem to be working. Any idea about this or could you offer a quick solution before the full Soulstorm skirmish mod comes out? Thanks again.

#4 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts
  • Projects:DoW AI Scripting Project
  • Division:DoW
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:07 AM

Oh you can zoom out far enough but the maps are hardcoded for their ultimate shroud limits -- you need to load, edit, then resave the map on your own to totally remove the long distant shroud.
Advanced Skirmish AI Team Lead for the coolest Warhammer40k PC RTS out there:

Dawn of War Advanced AI Headquarters

Latest DoW Advanced AI Download!

#5 abusage

abusage
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:40 PM

Oh you can zoom out far enough but the maps are hardcoded for their ultimate shroud limits -- you need to load, edit, then resave the map on your own to totally remove the long distant shroud.

Why would they add that change in for Soulstorm? For Dark Crusade all I had to do was put that .lua file in the Data folder. Once playing with it zoomed out I can't get use to the "cram-cam" that is default with soulstorm

#6 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

LUA in data folder? Per each map you wanted to totally remove the shroud? The camera .lua file goes in the \<Soulstorm Main folder>\engine\data..

#7 abusage

abusage
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:47 PM

LUA in data folder? Per each map you wanted to totally remove the shroud? The camera .lua file goes in the \<Soulstorm Main folder>\engine\data..

Sorry though I mentioned this. Yea the camera_high.lua file is in my "Soulstorm main folder/engine/data yet when I play skirmishes to test I still have the stock camera. And when I played DC, all I had to do was put the .lua file in the "dc main folder/engine/data"

I don't understand why it isn't working for me and sorry, but I have no idea about the shroud talk - lol.

#8 thudo

thudo

Wacko AI Guy!

• Division Leaders
  • 12,164 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

Think it works for me -- have to be sure.

#9 abusage

abusage
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Think it works for me -- have to be sure.

Ah, I had a file named camera_high.lua but it was still a txt file. That was my problem. Sorry

#10 Inquisitor

Inquisitor
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Ah, I had a file named camera_high.lua but it was still a txt file. That was my problem. Sorry

It sounds like you are using the camera mod posted by Inquisitoriae on relics forum. If you use the .txt version you're actually using the original mod by Alex Gnome made for Dawn of War years back.

I would recommend that you use the modded version that has the same angle of viewing as the game (i.e. see it from the angle Relic intended). It is available for dowload where you found the txt file (tip: see my sig).

I have attached a new version (v1.4) that has a lower default zoom level than Alex' mod. I (and my friends) think the original mod was too far away from things. You can ofc still zoom very much out by using the wheel, but using backspace will default to a lower level than 1.3 did.

It's all a matter of preference how you want to see the action. There's also this version by Narfology that might be better if you have a ws display. The difference is mainly the viewing angle, which is more top down. I don't like it, but you may. :grin:

The best thing about this mod is that it is so easy to install and remove. And it works fine when you copy it to <soulstorm install folder>\W40k\data as well.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files

The Emperor knows, the Emperor is watching.
Want to zoom out further? Try this camera mod.

#11 Guest_Pd_*

Guest_Pd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:20 AM

Dt

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users