Suggestion for hardpoints

30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:15 AM

Hi, I just want to start out by saying that I've really enjoyed this mod, it revived an old favorite of mine (I know there was already a separate topic related to this, but no one has posted in it for a while). Anyway, I was thinking about how to deal with the issue of hardpoints and I thought of the following idea:
If, as Phoenix suggested, you could make hardpoints destroyable but not targetable, then how about making specific types of hardpoints targetable? For example, you could tell a particular unit to fire on a ship's laser cannons without making each individual cannon targetable. This way you could take out specific weapons, depending on which ones would best be destroyed given your situation, but the ships would still retain their canonical armaments and you wouldn't simply see a whole bunch of green when you select a unit.

#2 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

I don't think engine allows this. Unless, of course, you have an idea how to overcome this...

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

I don't think engine allows this. Unless, of course, you have an idea how to overcome this...

Maybe have a set of Hardpoint icons on the ship, each one representing a specific type of weapon, but not any hardpoint in particular, this way when you tell a ship to fire on, say, the laser cannons, a ship's laser cannons will be the weapons that take damage, but you won't be able to target any one bank, allowing you to focus your fire on what would benefit you at the moment, but not giving units like bombers an unfair advantage.

#4 slornie

slornie
  • Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:12 PM

I dont think thats within the capabilities of the game engine, although we'll probably have to wait until Phoenix replies to be sure.
Posted Image

#5 Guest_StormReavan_*

Guest_StormReavan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

Put the hardpoints on, but do not make them targetable. Then write scripts that would make hardpoints explode, maybe leave a smoke trail, and some random bits of debris flying off, then change the skin to something blackish to show damage, that would be cool. Probably hard to do and I'm not confident in my modding abilities...

#6 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

Maybe have a set of Hardpoint icons on the ship, each one representing a specific type of weapon, but not any hardpoint in particular, this way when you tell a ship to fire on, say, the laser cannons, a ship's laser cannons will be the weapons that take damage, but you won't be able to target any one bank, allowing you to focus your fire on what would benefit you at the moment, but not giving units like bombers an unfair advantage.

It's impossible. In files when you design hardpoint, you attach it to particular bone, give it health and offensive capabilities. If it's targettable, it's destruction can only cause this one particular hardpoint to be destroyed.

Second proposed option (to make Hardpoints not targettable but destroyable) already exist in other thread about hardpoints

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:16 AM

It's impossible. In files when you design hardpoint, you attach it to particular bone, give it health and offensive capabilities. If it's targettable, it's destruction can only cause this one particular hardpoint to be destroyed.

Second proposed option (to make Hardpoints not targettable but destroyable) already exist in other thread about hardpoints

Is there a way to make it so that the percentage health of the hardpoint represents the total health of every cannon, and then set the bone to be the entire ship? I remember reading in one of the topics about a glitch that caused ships to aim despite the lack of hardpoints. If that could be manipulated so that even though the hardpoint icon was selected, the ship might still aim at the actual hardpoints rather than the icon, it might be possible to create a believable effect and not have every gun explode even though a ship is firing on a single icon. Also, the fact that the icon would represent the total health would mean that it would be far more difficult to eliminate the selected weapon type than it was in the original EAW, making for a more balanced game.

#8 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:14 AM

Why not just make a bank of cannons targetable, for example: on the rebel cargo ship it has for turreted double laser cannons(most likeley on the "left" and "right" sides of the ship) you would have 2 of those double laser cannons to a particular hardpoint. but it's probably impossible for some crap reason or another...

#9 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

There is only so much we can do with the engine. And also, there is little evidence of canon ships shooting at hardpoints.

#10 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

I don't know about the glitch... PR decided to go without hardpoints and that's not gonna change :(

#11 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

There is only so much we can do with the engine. And also, there is little evidence of canon ships shooting at hardpoints.

Dude. two words: DEATH STAR. If the rebels had attacked that thing outright, with scattered fire all over it, they'd have never won.

#12 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Dude. two words: DEATH STAR. If the rebels had attacked that thing outright, with scattered fire all over it, they'd have never won.

That is the one exception. However, it was the only case I can really find.

#13 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

That doesn't count. The Rebels did not destroyed any hardpoint on the ship, they destroyed the shield generator on the Endor moon and then destroyed the reactor. That's not attacking a hardpoint.

#14 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:25 PM

I think he meant the first one. Still, that is not the same as picking the turbolasers off a ship.

#15 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

That doesn't count. The Rebels did not destroyed any hardpoint on the ship, they destroyed the shield generator on the Endor moon and then destroyed the reactor. That's not attacking a hardpoint.

Except for the core?

Sure there is! A-wing shooting the shield generator of the SSD in episode 6, cannon fire destroying a turbolaser in episode 3, and let's not forget the most important part: that it's common tactical sense to target what happens to be destroying your ship at the time!

Edited by Clubby, 03 April 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#16 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

Except for the core?

Sure there is! A-wing shooting the shield generator of the SSD in episode 6, cannon fire destroying a turbolaser in episode 3, and let's not forget the most important part: that it's common tactical sense to target what happens to be destroying your ship at the time!

The core was almost a separate ship. It wasn't like picking off turbolaser batteries. Are you sure about the ROTJ example. Also, those aren't shield generators, they have the ship's sensors.

#17 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

Actually there's a lot of evidence of shooting particular hardpoints. There are plenty of instances where turbolasers are shot off, engines are shot at to disable, and bridges are targeted as well.

#18 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:04 AM

Except for the core?

The core was almost a separate ship. It wasn't like picking off turbolaser batteries. Are you sure about the ROTJ example. Also, those aren't shield generators, they have the ship's sensors.

okay, for all of you jackasses, I was talking about a new hope, and those ARE the shield generators. another good example would be that a-wing Kamakizing the Bridge of that SSD.

#19 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:35 AM

If your're talking about the ROTJ core, they STILL targeted hardpoints on the core! And even if they were sensors it's a moot point since those are still a hardpoint.

(pulls out shotgun and kills rabbit before trail continues)
Listen, obviously I'm not advocating having 5000 hardpoints on a SSD, that's ridiculous, but could it be possible for a battery of guns to be disabled when:

a. they take enough damage from the same direction. (or in the same general areas of the ship)
b. each hardpoint is disabled at the same time as a certain amount of health is eaten away by incoming fire. (turbolaser at 5% health, engines at 25%, etc)

I'm obviously not a programmer, so I suggest these ideas and see if somebody with a little better know how than me thinks it's possible.

#20 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

If your're talking about the ROTJ core, they STILL targeted hardpoints on the core! And even if they were sensors it's a moot point since those are still a hardpoint.

(pulls out shotgun and kills rabbit before trail continues)
Listen, obviously I'm not advocating having 5000 hardpoints on a SSD, that's ridiculous, but could it be possible for a battery of guns to be disabled when:

a. they take enough damage from the same direction. (or in the same general areas of the ship)
b. each hardpoint is disabled at the same time as a certain amount of health is eaten away by incoming fire. (turbolaser at 5% health, engines at 25%, etc)

I'm obviously not a programmer, so I suggest these ideas and see if somebody with a little better know how than me thinks it's possible.

I'm pretty sure that's impossible. This has been discussed before, and Phoenix is looking into it, but I think that it will be destroyable but not targetable.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users