Photo

boarding parties

37 replies to this topic

#1 blue4n

blue4n
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

Sup did an AWSOME job. I thought i would be cool if in one of the updates you could board an enemyship. Like in the campain on the last battle of the origanal FOC. What do you think? :rolleyes:

Edited by blue4n, 22 March 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#2 Guest_Kaleb Graff_*

Guest_Kaleb Graff_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

I agree with you, but I remember seeing on wookiepedia that that was a feature that was cut from the game.

#3 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:10 AM

Yeah, we could utilize the TIE Boarding craft...but I seriously doubt that we could find a way to code that...

Well why would it have been cut...hmm?

Yeah, there are so many variables in the way of coding boarding parties that I don't think it's possible.

Edited by Kacen, 23 March 2008 - 02:11 AM.

#4 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:10 AM

Apparently, one of the Zann Consortium's transports (The Dekat-47? I don't remember it though. But then again I didn't play as them that much.) has partial coding at a boarding party.

#5 Pred the Penguin

Pred the Penguin

title available

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

You could try to use the ability from land combat.

Posted Image
My Work:[1],[2]

#6 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:27 AM

I think that Phoenix tried to use that and failed. Also, that has serious problems. What if said boarding party got aboard the Executor. It would be a major balance issue.

#7 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

It would require a LOT more troops to take an Executor-/Sovereign-class than anything else. That's the balance issue. It would require more troops as the ship class got bigger and/or better.

Plus, if you lose an Executor-class to a boarding party, that's your own damn fault. The thing has 5,000 weapons hardpoints.

#8 Guest_StormReavan_*

Guest_StormReavan_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

What about Zann's bribe move? Or... has anyone played Star Trek Armada? Find the code in that game for transporting units aboard and work from there. But the codes aren't likely to be compatible...

#9 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

It would require a LOT more troops to take an Executor-/Sovereign-class than anything else. That's the balance issue. It would require more troops as the ship class got bigger and/or better.

Plus, if you lose an Executor-class to a boarding party, that's your own damn fault. The thing has 5,000 weapons hardpoints.

Theoretically, yes it would. However, if Chewie's boarding ability was transplanted into space combat, it would be impossible to code it so that it requires a different number of troops based on ship class. I somewhat agree with StormReavan in that the best way to do it would be based on Zann's bribery ability. This would allow you to simulate having to commit more troops for bigger ships. Also, the boarding unit should disappear after this was done, to prevent it from taking over multiple ships. A good unit would be the gamma-class assault shuttle.

#10 Dalmp

Dalmp
  • Project Team
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

Actually, that's not a bad idea. What could be done (I think?) is to lower the bribe price on ships that should be boardable to like 1 credit or something, and disable bribery on the ships we don't want boardable. I haven't looked, but if it can't be done some other way, you could always just raise their bribe price on non-boardable ships to something really high, like 100 mil or more - a price no player should be able to pay even accidentally. Capships should probably not be boardable, but frigates sure, and maybe even destroyers.

To keep boarding ships from using the ability over and over again, just set their recharge on the special ability to a really high value, longer than a battle would last.

But of course, that wouldn't allow tag-teaming of boarding ships, grouping up to take on larger ships...
Amateurs study Tactics. Professionals study Logistics.
-Napoleon

Posted Image

#11 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:25 AM

Capitol ships have been boarded. How did the alliance get the Emancipator and Liberator? The point is, the bribery ability would allow you to simulate different troop commitments based on ship size. You could still board the Executor, it would just take a lot of credits.

#12 Dalmp

Dalmp
  • Project Team
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:15 AM

It's not whether or not capturing capital ships is possible or not. The problem is that bribe is an automatic ability. Boarding and capturing an Executor with it's ~2 million crew should be anything but automatic, nor could any price be fair for making it automatic. An Executor might be the only defending fleet for a dozen worlds. Bribe it with a single click? Not a good idea, from a balance perspective. 1 million credits would be too cheap. Imo, no price would be enough, because that single click might mean winning the game.

Bribe as a hero ability was overpowered. Putting it on mass-producable ships, if even considered, would have to be done with some serious caution and massive limitations. It would have to be something you weren't sure you even wanted to use - like pretty much every other ship in the game. Good in a niche, but not good in 75% of situations (which is why we balance and mix our fleets).

That's why I'm suggesting it be limited to smaller ships only. But I'm sure there's other and perhaps better ways of doing it. But whatever the idea, the limitations have to be major if there's to be any hope of the idea floating.
Amateurs study Tactics. Professionals study Logistics.
-Napoleon

Posted Image

#13 Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick
  • Project Team
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:53 PM

Two ideas:

1) Have different sized boarding craft; Class 1 can take over corvettes, 2 can take frigates and corvettes, etc. Possibly take out the exit vehicle ability on the captured entry
2) Find out if the boarding ability works on squadrons. Then you could make so that only the boarding groups can take over the larger ships
Posted Image

#14 Clubby

Clubby
  • New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

Maybe boarding could only capture smaller vessels, like blockade runners, and disable (similar effects to an ion hit) or even sabotage larger ones? Also, it shouldn't be instantaneous, just a chance of success.

#15 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:52 AM

You can disable the autofire in the XMLs. The idea of different sized boarding parties for different classes is good, if it can be done. I'm not sure if it's possible, but if it isn't I think that anything short of an Executor should be bribeable. After that, it gets to be a bit too powerful.

#16 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:08 AM

Boarding and capturing an Executor with it's ~2 million crew should be anything but automatic, nor could any price be fair for making it automatic.

Except for the fact that you need to tone that down to about 300,000. I'm sure if they squeeze people in for some stupid reason or another, and ration their supplies, they could manage 750,000 at the most, but that's a stretch. Two million is too high.

#17 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

Boarding and capturing an Executor with it's ~2 million crew should be anything but automatic, nor could any price be fair for making it automatic.

Except for the fact that you need to tone that down to about 300,000. I'm sure if they squeeze people in for some stupid reason or another, and ration their supplies, they could manage 750,000 at the most, but that's a stretch. Two million is too high.

yea 2 mil is a person per meter (if it's 2 kilo also why are all star wars thing in metric and not customary every once in awhile?)

#18 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:14 AM

Because that's the standard unit for measurements and it is used virtually everywhere except in USA.

#19 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

yea 2 mil is a person per meter (if it's 2 kilo also why are all star wars thing in metric and not customary every once in awhile?)

It's not. The use of metric dates back to (I believe) the old WEG RPG. Also, the Executor is 19 km long, or 19,000 meters long. The total compement, crew and troops, is likely around 500,000. Still, to board it, you wouldn't have to take out every one of those people. If the bridge was siezed, then the whole ship is captured. And actually, it is canon for Executors to be boardable. In Before the Storm, the Yevetha boarded the Intimidator, and took it over meerly by capturing the main and auxiliary bridges, going so far as to fire the guns.

#20 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:55 AM

The full crew complement of an Executor-class is a quarter of a million. The exact number is somewhere in the 259,700 range I think I saw on Wookiepedia. It carries about 30,000 troops as well. Plus the pilots for all the TIE Fighters which I wouldn't consider as a crew member, which can number anywhere from 144 to a couple thousand probably.

The Pride of the Yevetha take-over was not technically a boarding. They were pretty much already aboard, and had schematics for, and access to, the areas mentioned due to extensive time spent maintenancing it.

Edited by Tropical Bob, 03 April 2008 - 02:57 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users