Bulwark-Class Battlecruiser

78 replies to this topic

#1 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:35 AM

Am I the only one that feels the Bulwark lacks..."personality"?

It's just...it's fairly plain looking and it's guns are all the same...rapid-fire single turbolasers/turboions.

I mean we already speculated the amount of weapons it has, why not specify more, maybe vary it, say have some be double turbolasers/turboions, and some quad perhaps. In addition perhaps some missile launchers, and some more detail to the Bulwark's design, perhaps?

#2 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

Where did the Bulwark come from anyway?

#3 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

http://starwars.wiki.....ic_Civil_War)

Apparently Star Wars: Rebellion.

http://starwars.wiki..._...lion_(game)

Edited by Kacen, 24 March 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#4 Dalmp

Dalmp
  • Project Team
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

There'll be a newer model eventually. Eviljedi has released a new Bulwark already in Warlords, and PR has demonsrated some interest in incorporating it into his mod, but it's still a big job.

I think he posted screens of it somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.
Amateurs study Tactics. Professionals study Logistics.
-Napoleon

Posted Image

#5 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:25 AM

The model can be changed, but because Phoenix is adhering to canon, the weapons can't.

#6 Casen

Casen

title available

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:10 AM

The weapons are canon? I wasn't aware it officially listed a number of weapons, it doesn't say the weapons in Wookiepedia.

#7 jdk002

jdk002

Destroyer.. er.. Creator of Worlds

• Project Team
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:16 AM

I'm not sure where he got his source from, but I wouldn't rely on Wookiepedia for specifics, since anyone can edit it.

#8 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

I think he managed to pull them out of Rebellion.

#9 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:06 PM

Well, the problem is that in Rebellion Bulwark were created for one purpose - to give Rebels something capable of taking out SSD. For me it was purely a balance issue and I don't find them that canonical. Still good they exist, as we won't get only Mon Calamari ships :thumbsupsmiley:

#10 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

They were built to take on SSDs? I thought that was the Viscount. Still, we can't change the weapons. And plus, why would we want to? It seems to work just fine.

#11 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:14 AM

The Bulwark-class was meant to give the Rebel scum something of a step up from their normally sized capital ship classes. The Rebel scum needed some ships bigger than their Liberty- and Reef Home-class capitals, and the the Bulwark-class was there to be an addition to the Independence-class.

Or so that's my take on it.

It is definitely not meant to take on an Executor- or Sovereign-class, though. Don't even kid yourself. The Rebel scum have no ship class that can take either of those.

Edited by Tropical Bob, 01 April 2008 - 03:15 AM.

#12 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

I was suspicious myself. Still, will you stop calling them rebel scum? And the rebels do have somthing capable of taking down SSDs. X-wings. (Read Bacta War if you don't believe me)

#13 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:11 AM

As I said in another thread, the Lusankya (the SSD that appeared in Bacta War) was believed to have an eighth of the Executor-class weaponry by Mike Stackpole, the book author. And remember it wasn't just X-Wings who disabled it, but a whole fleet of freighters armed with proton torpedoes and a couple of SD too. Not to mention the divine influence of Wedge Antilles. But Tropical Bob, the rebels do have a couple of ships to counter Executors and Sovereigns: The Viscount-class Star Defender and the Mediator-class cruiser, and a relatively obscure design: the Strident-class Star Defender.

#14 keraunos

keraunos

Dominus et Deuculus

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:38 AM

They were built to take on SSDs? I thought that was the Viscount. Still, we can't change the weapons. And plus, why would we want to? It seems to work just fine.

Well, that's the point. It's hardly canonical, as we ever have one source for them. SW Rebellion. Look at it's stats in game - they are almost exactly as strong as Executor. So basicly their only apperance is:
-"Hey, we need something for this game, for balance reason."
-"We're on Skywalker Ranch, so let's see through the window for inspiration."
-"Dog?"
-"No!"
-"Tree...?"
-"No"
-"Bull?"
-"Hmmm. No! I have an idea! Bulwark!"
...and just give it the same stats..."

SW world developed greatly since then (1998), yet Bulwark are still ignored. Which is a pity, since now Galactic Civil War starts to remind Human-Mon Calamari War :( We could use some forgotten human units like Bulwarks, Bulk Cruisers, Dreadnoughts (both modified and unmodified) and frigates with more personality. Not mentioning other races... Any Sullustan designes? Genosians had some of their own units, after all.

#15 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:42 AM

Well, that was one of the things that I had in mind when I proposed the planet-unique ships...

#16 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:59 AM

I was suspicious myself. Still, will you stop calling them rebel scum? And the rebels do have somthing capable of taking down SSDs. X-wings. (Read Bacta War if you don't believe me)

I said that the Rebel scum (I am completely pro-Imperial, so no I won't :p ) have no ship classes...Meaning capitals.

But Tropical Bob, the rebels do have a couple of ships to counter Executors and Sovereigns: The Viscount-class Star Defender and the Mediator-class cruiser, and a relatively obscure design: the Strident-class Star Defender.

Not only were those classes commissioned at the end of the conflict with the Imperial Remnant, only the Viscount-class can actually be rated to counter an Executor-/Sovereign-class.
  • Viscount-class Star Defender: First commissioned in 25 ABY; designed to engage the most powerful ships in the Imperial Starfleet, but instead saw action against the Yuuzhan Vong.
  • Mediator-class Battle Cruiser: somewhere between 1.6-8.5 km long, weapon complement unknown; introduced sometime before the Yuuzhan Vong war, but first seen in the Osarian-Rhommamool conflict; not exactly a match for an Executor-class, let alone Sovereign-class with the superlaser.
  • Strident-class Star Defender: Unknown length, weapons complement; apparently in service for the Battle of Fondor in 25 ABY; part of the late-coming large warship construction ideal (After the Black Fleet Crisis, which ended in 17 ABY); likely commisioned between 20-25 ABY.

Edited by Tropical Bob, 02 April 2008 - 04:00 AM.

#17 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

You are probably correct in that it was meant to counter the Rebellion Executor. Still, we have the Republic-class Battleship in game, which didn't come until about 14 BBY. I agree with the comment about the Human-Mon Cal war, but the Executor was not invincible. The Pride of the Yevetha was outgunned by two New Republic fleets, and it had numerous Star Destroyers and Thrustships with it. And the Executor itself was lost when an A-wing hit its bridge.

#18 Guest_Shadow-Dragon_*

Guest_Shadow-Dragon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

You are probably correct in that it was meant to counter the Rebellion Executor. Still, we have the Republic-class Battleship in game, which didn't come until about 14 BBY. I agree with the comment about the Human-Mon Cal war, but the Executor was not invincible. The Pride of the Yevetha was outgunned by two New Republic fleets, and it had numerous Star Destroyers and Thrustships with it. And the Executor itself was lost when an A-wing hit its bridge.

Yes, but the Pride of Yevetha was probably going by Bacta Wars stats. And an A-wing's Novalex Engines can do alot of damage, take when Vergere smashed one into Ebaq-9! However, all it really did was delay navigation officers from reaching the secondary bridge fast enough to change course. And so it hit the Death Star.

#19 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

Yes, but the Pride of Yevetha was probably going by Bacta Wars stats. And an A-wing's Novalex Engines can do alot of damage, take when Vergere smashed one into Ebaq-9! However, all it really did was delay navigation officers from reaching the secondary bridge fast enough to change course. And so it hit the Death Star.

True, however, we can't say that the Pride of the Yevetha was non-canon, despite spotty stats. And despite what you say, that was how the Executor was lost. And why was it headed for the Death Star, anyway?

#20 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Here is why in the episode 6 novel they said they executor was swaying back and forth and was haveing navigational problems. So if it needed the navigators full attention and if he is dead and the auxilary bridge navigator does not have time to react. The exector gets into the death stars gravity well and in a word. BOOM!! Also it was taking massive damage from almost all of the rebels capitals attacking it at once. Including 2 Mc80a and maybe a bulwark or two. (Hay they had some if all of the rebel fleet was attacking who knows?)
"Just once, I'd like to destroy a starship that we didn't pay for!"
"Welcome to the jolly old death star."
"Vader gets the plesure of killing someone while we get to stay among the living. Private Perkins overhere has been stranged over 30 times haven't you Perkins." "Good man."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users