Bulwark-Class Battlecruiser

78 replies to this topic

#41 anakinskysolo

anakinskysolo

Phoenix Rising Fan

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:36 AM

It doesn't make sense. There must be a mistake there. In the technical readout in the same page, there is no mention to the Death Star having a gravity well projector, and none of the official sources mention it as well. And if you press in the link of the gravity well projector, a list of ships that have one appear, but not the Death Star.

#42 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:45 PM

Anything with a diameter of 160 kilometers is going to have enough mass for a pretty strong gravity field. 17,157,284.679 cubic kilometers of volume. If the Death Star were made of exclusively low-grade steel, it would mass at 134,684,684,728,619.701 kg. And I'm sure the density of the materials used to construct the Death Star had a greater density. That's quite enough to capture the silly little Executor don't you think?

The death star didn't mass that much. http://www.swrpgnetw...uth20040810.pdf Your volume is off by a factor of 17 (I think that you confused diameter and radius, and forgot to cut in half for completion percentage.) Also, the death star was hollow, with an estimated 1:10 volume to solid volume ratio.

Oh yeah. That's true, sorry. Been a while since geometry...So 682,666.667 cubic kilometers. 68,266.667 cubic kilometers of solid matter, which still is going to mass more than low-grade steel, which would put it at 4,778,666,666,666.667-ish kilograms. Again, that's enough to catch the Executor, which itself masses a lot, which would strengthen the pull of gravity.

#43 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

Anything with a diameter of 160 kilometers is going to have enough mass for a pretty strong gravity field. 17,157,284.679 cubic kilometers of volume. If the Death Star were made of exclusively low-grade steel, it would mass at 134,684,684,728,619.701 kg. And I'm sure the density of the materials used to construct the Death Star had a greater density. That's quite enough to capture the silly little Executor don't you think?

The death star didn't mass that much. http://www.swrpgnetw...uth20040810.pdf Your volume is off by a factor of 17 (I think that you confused diameter and radius, and forgot to cut in half for completion percentage.) Also, the death star was hollow, with an estimated 1:10 volume to solid volume ratio.

Oh yeah. That's true, sorry. Been a while since geometry...So 682,666.667 cubic kilometers. 68,266.667 cubic kilometers of solid matter, which still is going to mass more than low-grade steel, which would put it at 4,778,666,666,666.667-ish kilograms. Again, that's enough to catch the Executor, which itself masses a lot, which would strengthen the pull of gravity.

I think it didn't mass that much. Plus, the Executor would have to be really close to be caught before control could be re-established, or just had some other problem.

#44 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

I think it didn't mass that much. Plus, the Executor would have to be really close to be caught before control could be re-established, or just had some other problem.

What does any of the last like, 2 pages have to do with the bulwark?

#45 Kitkun

Kitkun

Hater

• Members
  • 903 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

That's a really good question.

Frosty Freaky Foreign Forum Fox

<DevXen> Today I was at the store and saw a Darth Vader action figure that said "Choking Hazard." It was great.

#46 sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob
  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

That's a really good question.

I guess nothing.

the excutor was likely the first of its class, and as a result, thought to be invincible, and auxillirary systems were not nessary.

have to aggre with tropical bob on the gravity, and i would think that the death star itself was using a gravity well generator to supplement any mass deficiencies.

Now, thinking logically, would not all excutor-class shipos produced later on be designed against this aparent design flaw (bridge so esposed, and critical) and later ships would be better designed

Posted Image

#47 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

Not the Iron fist though. But that was a superoir class I think.
"Just once, I'd like to destroy a starship that we didn't pay for!"
"Welcome to the jolly old death star."
"Vader gets the plesure of killing someone while we get to stay among the living. Private Perkins overhere has been stranged over 30 times haven't you Perkins." "Good man."

#48 skie9173

skie9173

Rebel (not so) High Command

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:16 AM

also keep in mind that the Lusankya was built at the same time as the excutor under the same name so it couldn't benefit form any upgrades to the class developed from experience after the excutor's loss... i think if i remember everything right that was how it was built.
Also i don't see how the Lusankya could not have taken damage to it's external structure (i.e. guns and such) when it erupted from Coruscant's surface.
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.

#49 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

also keep in mind that the Lusankya was built at the same time as the excutor under the same name so it couldn't benefit form any upgrades to the class developed from experience after the excutor's loss... i think if i remember everything right that was how it was built.
Also i don't see how the Lusankya could not have taken damage to it's external structure (i.e. guns and such) when it erupted from Coruscant's surface.

The Empire most likely had the mountian lined with explolsives that got rid of most of the mountian, without causing Lusankya much harm.

Edited by Ba Boracus, 29 April 2008 - 02:56 PM.

#50 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

It came out from underneath the city itself didn't it?

Likely the initial explosives and turbolaser volleys vaporized most of the material that could have harmed it, and then it being an Executor-class ship, had very powerful shields to protect it. It probably did take damage, but only superficial for the most part. They repaired any damage before or upon arrival at Thyferra.

#51 skie9173

skie9173

Rebel (not so) High Command

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 11:13 PM

i didn't think about explosives, been along time since i read those books. my point was more in respone to the idea of upgrades as a result from the loss of the original Excutor. the other part was just something that came to me as i thought about it
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.

#52 A1Dasdfsdkli4r2

A1Dasdfsdkli4r2
  • Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:05 AM

It's been awhile since I've read them, but ddn't Lusankya take a good chunk of the Manari mountians with it?

#53 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

It was. Still, it was under a group of buildings, and was almost certainly buried so it could lift without serious damage.

It's been awhile since I've read them, but ddn't Lusankya take a good chunk of the Manari mountians with it?

No, it was buried under the city itself.

#54 Tropical Bob

Tropical Bob

title available

• Members
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:29 PM

It was buried southwest of the Manari mountains, under 100 square kilometers of cityscape. Of course, the 100 square kilometer value the author used is based upon the 8km length of an Executor-class, so if we use the 19km length, it's probably 300 square kilometers or more. It used its weapons so free itself from its tomb, and no mention of explosive charges was mentioned. But seeing as the Emperor had planned for the Lusankya to free itself from under the city he had built over it, its entirely possible that he had the construction droids build bombs within the buildings.

Anyway...The whole point of burying the Lusankya under the city in the first place was with the intention of freeing it, so, as Kaleb mentioned, it was most likely meant to take the minimum damage possible. Apparently, it took more damage from the Golan stations than it did from the city, and any planetary-based defenses.

#55 TheEmpire

TheEmpire

Privite Perkins

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:40 PM

Ok this is really off topic has anyone thought of putting this posts in general dissusion.
"Just once, I'd like to destroy a starship that we didn't pay for!"
"Welcome to the jolly old death star."
"Vader gets the plesure of killing someone while we get to stay among the living. Private Perkins overhere has been stranged over 30 times haven't you Perkins." "Good man."

#56 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:44 PM

Ok this is really off topic has anyone thought of putting this posts in general dissusion.

Does that really matter? We could move it, but this is an interesting discussion.

#57 blue4n

blue4n
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:21 AM

Ok so what if the bulwarks bland looking I was playing the Shawdow Hand Opperation as the rebelion THere was a Huge battle over Korriban Almost there entire Starting fleet including soverin Aganst my sizable fleet . THe battle lasted an hour I set up a trap so where the empire would hyperspace in my whole fleet would hit'um hard Ohhhhhhh the destruction THere last renforcment was... Soverian I had 2 bulwarks it destroyed one of them and 4 liberty-class but with out the bulwarks i would not have won the battle The k-wings helped too! Great Battle ^_^

Edited by blue4n, 16 June 2008 - 02:22 AM.

#58 Pred the Penguin

Pred the Penguin

title available

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

Now, thinking logically, would not all excutor-class shipos produced later on be designed against this aparent design flaw (bridge so esposed, and critical) and later ships would be better designed

Most SDs have idiotic designs.

A bridge should be buried at the core of a battleship
making use of video (hologram) feeds, radars and whatever high-tech stuff to see outside.

Anyways,
anyone still interested in talking about the Bulwark problem?

Edited by Pred the Penguin, 16 June 2008 - 12:28 PM.

Posted Image
My Work:[1],[2]

#59 Kaleb Graff

Kaleb Graff

title available

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:13 PM

Most SDs have idiotic designs.

A bridge should be buried at the core of a battleship
making use of video (hologram) feeds, radars and whatever high-tech stuff to see outside.

Anyways,
anyone still interested in talking about the Bulwark problem?

True on the bridge. Still, a lot of ships are designed poorly. And what Bulwark problem?

#60 Pred the Penguin

Pred the Penguin

title available

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

In the topic title....

Don't get me wrong though, I have no opinion on the matter.
I don't use the Bulwark. O_o

Posted Image
My Work:[1],[2]

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users