Vincent93

Killer SpecOps Kitty

• Hosted
  • 197 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert 2: Redux
  •  The Sly Kitten

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

Sonic Curator:
The Sonic Curator is armed with a Sonic Disruptor that is very effective against Infantry, but not completely effective against tanks or buildings. Once a veteran, he can also swim.

Posted Image

Allied Medic:
The Allied Medic uses his field medical kit to patch up nearby infantry. He is also vulnerable because he has no offensive weapon of his own.

Edited by Vincent93, 11 May 2008 - 03:21 AM.

Posted Image
Great post-rock band.

#2 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:24 PM

Use a better SHP for the Medic... SEAL recolours are just so boring.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:49 PM

the problem with ideas isn't nesseciarly if overused but the appeal of the unit

its like people associate grenadier = soviets

prism rifle = prism troopers = ugh noob modding cowshot ifv days (only possible exception is mo enforcer but I hate the idea of it)

finally generic names kinda make mod seems oh noes not another abrams

even yr uses interest names like guardian gi instead of rocket soldier

your want your mod to stick out somehow

also the medic could work if your using some form of stim pack logic e.g. a heal gun

also if you personalise hero units e.g. some name, people will gain a associate with unit instead of another disposable infantry unit.

one issue in cnc games is also the cannon fodder effect of inf which several mods (including my own) are trying to overcome.

your mod will have a different appeal if players can't rely on GI's deployed on cliffs or guardian gis in battle fortress otherwise your just adding units which no-one trains late game a classic example is grizzlies for the allies as the prism is far too powered in anti-tank role (thats a issue though concerning ww warhead system)
Posted Image

#4 Vincent93

Vincent93

Killer SpecOps Kitty

• Hosted
  • 197 posts
  •  The Sly Kitten

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:32 AM

Use a better SHP for the Medic... SEAL recolours are just so boring.

The Medic screen shot isn't uploaded, but yeah SEAL recolors are pretty boring, if i could make my own SHPs, other than recolors. I could try recoloring another infantry unit.

the problem with ideas isn't nesseciarly if overused but the appeal of the unit

its like people associate grenadier = soviets

prism rifle = prism troopers = ugh noob modding cowshot ifv days (only possible exception is mo enforcer but I hate the idea of it)

finally generic names kinda make mod seems oh noes not another abrams

even yr uses interest names like guardian gi instead of rocket soldier

your want your mod to stick out somehow

also the medic could work if your using some form of stim pack logic e.g. a heal gun

also if you personalise hero units e.g. some name, people will gain a associate with unit instead of another disposable infantry unit.

one issue in cnc games is also the cannon fodder effect of inf which several mods (including my own) are trying to overcome.

your mod will have a different appeal if players can't rely on GI's deployed on cliffs or guardian gis in battle fortress otherwise your just adding units which no-one trains late game a classic example is grizzlies for the allies as the prism is far too powered in anti-tank role (thats a issue though concerning ww warhead system)

About the grenadiers are you saying they fit the Soviet profile better or just that people assume they should be Soviet.

For the Prism Rifles I was thinking about removing Prism Technology from the Mod completely, but it's the German specialty I had.

The Abrams i can understand, every mod gives the Allies an Abrams, I can see that getting old, I think i'll try and think of another good strong tank name.

I like the Stim Pack idea, that sounds really cool.

I didn't have the Allied Commando as a hero type unit, i wanted him more of a better than regulars infantry, but I see what you mean, renaming him with more original names.

How did you get around units being Cannon Fodder because that sounds like an interesting way to go.

OK, for the basic units I see what you mean. I myself have gone for alot of GIs over a few Chrono Legionaries.
Posted Image
Great post-rock band.

#5 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

i think prism gun = bad idea

sorry, it just seems like a nooby mod idea

prism tech i always think of not being able to be miniaturized like that, a prism beam needs lots of reflection, thus larger size(to small and i always thought the beam would be to weak to do any damage), tesla is a bit different, but only because it is in the real game

but its your mod

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

About the grenadiers are you saying they fit the Soviet profile better or just that people assume they should be Soviet.

For the Prism Rifles I was thinking about removing Prism Technology from the Mod completely, but it's the German specialty I had.

The Abrams i can understand, every mod gives the Allies an Abrams, I can see that getting old, I think i'll try and think of another good strong tank name.

I like the Stim Pack idea, that sounds really cool.

I didn't have the Allied Commando as a hero type unit, i wanted him more of a better than regulars infantry, but I see what you mean, renaming him with more original names.

How did you get around units being Cannon Fodder because that sounds like an interesting way to go.

OK, for the basic units I see what you mean. I myself have gone for alot of GIs over a few Chrono Legionaries.

Grenadiers don't nesseciarly have to be soviet as shown by GDI but since its a RA2/YR universe, people will think that idea if they have ever played RA1.

People are also gonna expect them to use some form of HE against inf and be strong vs them and lightly armoured buildings.

Another issue is that there a few throwing arm inf, so you basicaly be using a machine gun firing stance for grenade launcher unless its a mortar.

A different name causes a different expectation because you can't associate it with past trends.

The arguement of basic units can also apply to high-tech toys which no-one uses because they have a flaw design, not worth cheaper units.

Everyone knows a para of 8 GI's worth $1600 is more much more effective then 1 chrono legionnaire requiring a battle lab at a cost of $1500, not to mention there pratically useless in combat except for crate-hopping.

The cannon-fodder thing I'm try and explain in a tutorial, its a complex thing which is WIP, I learnt it from Apollo.

It involves completely changing your armour, wh system.
Posted Image

#7 Vincent93

Vincent93

Killer SpecOps Kitty

• Hosted
  • 197 posts
  •  The Sly Kitten

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:57 AM

Grenadiers don't nesseciarly have to be soviet as shown by GDI but since its a RA2/YR universe, people will think that idea if they have ever played RA1.

People are also gonna expect them to use some form of HE against inf and be strong vs them and lightly armoured buildings.

Another issue is that there a few throwing arm inf, so you basicaly be using a machine gun firing stance for grenade launcher unless its a mortar.

A different name causes a different expectation because you can't associate it with past trends.

The arguement of basic units can also apply to high-tech toys which no-one uses because they have a flaw design, not worth cheaper units.

Everyone knows a para of 8 GI's worth $1600 is more much more effective then 1 chrono legionnaire requiring a battle lab at a cost of $1500, not to mention there pratically useless in combat except for crate-hopping.

The cannon-fodder thing I'm try and explain in a tutorial, its a complex thing which is WIP, I learnt it from Apollo.

It involves completely changing your armour, wh system.

OK, I see what you mean about the Grenadier

Yeah, that's why i more considered it a grenade launcher. I could just take the grenadier out. There's better things.

I like the different name idea, I'll start thinking about that.

So about the basic versus high-tech units, would it be better to make the high-tech units cheaper or make the basic ones more expensive.

OK, the cannon-fodder idea sounds really interesting, I would really like to learn more about that, and have it included in my mod.
Posted Image
Great post-rock band.

#8 Guest_Darknessvolt_*

Guest_Darknessvolt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

It would be a bit original if you put a health sign in beside the medic.

#9 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:07 PM

not really...

Posted Image

#10 Vincent93

Vincent93

Killer SpecOps Kitty

• Hosted
  • 197 posts
  •  The Sly Kitten

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:15 AM

It would be a bit original if you put a health sign in beside the medic.

What do you mean? Outside of the unit himself like on the SHP but not on his body?
That wouldn't really look that good.

Or do you mean like a logo on the engineer's briefcase?
Because that's what I have now.

Edit: I changed the Allied Commando to the Allied Sentinel, I think it sounds interesting, although the unit needs work.

Edited by Vincent93, 05 April 2008 - 04:22 AM.

Posted Image
Great post-rock band.

#11 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:04 AM

if they mean on the cameo, then it isn't original at all, if they mean like an icon on the unit(like the chevrons, but a + sign), then it would be different, but not necessarily good.. i mean, really why bother?

Posted Image

#12 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

Theres already SHPs with "Medic" symbols floating next to them, it wouldn't be original.

Posted Image

#13 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:08 AM

in fact,the whole medic idea isnt original.

#14 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

Duh, I think Darknessvolt was trying to suggest a way to make it less unoriginal. Though imo, the Medic is like the Engineer - a C&C classic. It doesn't really matter.

Perhaps, if you want an original Medic, give it some kind if Las gun heals infantry instead. Or even (As AG once suggested to me :D ) make it be a jumpjet infantry. Moving like the TS trooper did would be the coolest way for a Medic imo.

Posted Image

#15 Vincent93

Vincent93

Killer SpecOps Kitty

• Hosted
  • 197 posts
  •  The Sly Kitten

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:30 AM

Sweet ideas OmegaBolt, i'll play around with those for my medic.
Posted Image
Great post-rock band.

#16 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

lol, jump jet medics