Minas Tirith

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:25 AM

There are some maps out there with enlarged Minas Tiriths (walkable 3rd level, farms on 4th etc). I was wondering if the mod will have a proper one, full size (in the game's scale, of course). So that there is only one gate to the level above 'half-south', then 'half-north', rather than 2 gates at each edge, and whether it would be possible to have all 7 levels. I realise that it may require new models as the current Minas Tirith model is simply too small (and I believe only has 5 levels), but in my opinion - albeit slightly irrelevant as I'm not the one doing it - it would be worth it as I think it has the potential to be the best map/model out there, with a set piece battle where units are already placed and ready to go at the start, rather than having to build them up from scratch, and only 'top-ups' are needed.

Just my two cents on this, as I've not talked about the mod in my recent posts.

#2 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:31 AM

The unholy amount of modeling work required to make something of that scale look good would be better spent on other, more needed projects, like the Lonely Mountain or Dol Guldur.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#3 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:43 AM

That sounds fair enough, but would any enlarging be possible? Simply make the entire model bigger (which even I know is quite easy :rolleyes: ), but leave in the buildings unmodified that will look poor when enlarged (would also create extra floor space). So really just enlarging the walls and floor; and then do whatever else can be - like making the 4th and 5th levels 'walkable' and put in some steps up to them. While the 4th level looks pretty small, if the entire thing is scaled up there should be enough room for maneouvre. And would the gate positioning idea (ie how its described in the book) be feasible?

Edited by Thorin, 04 April 2008 - 02:46 AM.

#4 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:51 PM

Click me!

That's somewhat what we aim to have...
It's what we have so far also, and I think matt has made more progress aswell :rolleyes:

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#5 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

Wow, that pretty much answered it, it's like 90% of what I described, but just a few questions;

It's got 6 levels (I obviously understand there isn't even the tiniest bit of room for a 7th level in there), but the 4th and 5th look unwalkable. Is it possible that they could be walkable, or at the least have a plot (like the maps currently out there) for a farm/blacksmith.

Is the top level walkable? Looks big enough but I can't see if there's any walkway to it.

Is it possible for there to be a version of the map that already has the units emplaced with a reasonably accurate representation (though obviously scaled down in terms of numbers) of how it was described in the books? This would make the economy a little bit irrelevant, except for topping up units. AND NO ARMY OF THE FRIGGIN' DEAD. Probably more of a question to the mappers.

And now I'm almost certainly getting ahead of myself, but is there a possibility of the Rammas Echor? A nice big wall, not overly strong but that encircles all the Pelennor fields. I can't see this happening though, as the map would have to be huge :rolleyes:

#6 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

The first three levels are walkable and working. There is then a set of stairs going to the Hallows (not fully working) and then to the 7th level (not working at all) which is now walkable (working).
Posted Image

#7 Uruk King

Uruk King

Lore-abiding citizen

• Project Team
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

Wow, I'm actually impressed you got the 7th level to be walkable, Plenty Good!
I will remember Rhovanion Alliance, RIP .

Posted Image

#8 roughy92

roughy92
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

So is it possible to be able to get out onto the outer pinnacle? Right where Denathor runs off the edge when he is burning up? That would be pretty neat to be able to do...

#9 m@tt

m@tt

#######

• Project Team
  • 4,056 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

Yes...

...provided I get the stairs to work :D
Posted Image

#10 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:17 AM

Perhaps the third level would merit some defensive plots? Or at least a few trebuchets? Anyways, that looks awesome. Wow, a whopping 21 build plots! All I can say is WOW!

Edit: Also, As homage to the books, will Gondor get access to Dol Ameroth? In the book, Imharil came to Minas Tirith with 700 knights and men at arms. One more thing, Wouldn't it make more sense to have the keep on the third level where it is behind another gate?

Edit 2: Oops, that's 20 build plots. I was counting the keep by mistake.

Edited by yarrum, 05 April 2008 - 02:25 AM.

KotW%20Left%20Morgul%20Banner.jpg
KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#11 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

Edit: Also, As homage to the books, will Gondor get access to Dol Ameroth? In the book, Imharil came to Minas Tirith with 700 knights and men at arms.

Imrahil came with 700 Men at Arms and a 'company' of Knights. A company in LOTR is used somewhat randomly in LOTR and the number is pretty arbitrary, but in terms of armies (as opposed to the Fellowship of 9 being a 'company'), it's generally used for about 100 - 500 soldiers. Personally I'd say there were about 250 Dol Amroth Swan Knights.

And I agree about the citadel being on the top level of Minas Tirith, it being the last place the enemy should destroy.

Edited by Thorin, 05 April 2008 - 01:34 PM.

#12 Bard

Bard

Wordsmith, Penman and Scribbler

• Project Team
  • 264 posts
  • Projects:Rhovanion Alliance
  •  Rhovanion Alliance Writer

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Edit: Also, As homage to the books, will Gondor get access to Dol Ameroth? In the book, Imharil came to Minas Tirith with 700 knights and men at arms. One more thing, Wouldn't it make more sense to have the keep on the third level where it is behind another gate?

Why not? Dol Amroth is a Gondor mini-faction after all, and it would be a shame not to portray the Fiefdoms' involvement in the defence of Minas Tirith as described in the book.
Posted Image

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

#13 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

You know, I wasn't suggesting that Imharil should come with 700 men in the game. :D Although it would be cool if he came sometime before Mordor arrives. If Gondor could build the Dol Amroth mini faction building, would it replace one of the existing build plots, would you create a new one, or would it be outside the castle?

Edited by yarrum, 05 April 2008 - 02:32 PM.

KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#14 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

You know, I wasn't suggesting that Imharil should come with 700 men in the game. :shiftee: Although it would be cool if he came sometime before Mordor arrives. If Gondor could build the Dol Amroth mini faction building, would it replace one of the existing build plots, would you create a new one, or would it be outside the castle?

Thats why I'd prefer a preset battle that already has units emplaced/

#15 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

One question. Is this map available anywhere, or do we have to wait for the full release before we can use it?

KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#16 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

Anyone played Freedy's Minas Tirith. Called the Hearth of Ithilien or something. That had 7 levels, it was huge, and I thought it looked fine! Was actually quite fun to play.

#17 Yarrum

Yarrum

Kahuna

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

Where can I find said map? And does it work in the campaign?

KotW Beta Tester
frodo_sam.jpg

#18 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

Where can I find said map? And does it work in the campaign?

here, and it's a skirmish map, so no.

Posted Image

Edited by Thorin, 24 April 2008 - 05:28 PM.

#19 Foe-of-the-Nine

Foe-of-the-Nine
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is EXACTLY what I've wanted for a map for ages!!!!!!!!! :p :) is it for BFME 1 or 2? I'm assuming 1 right?

Edited by Foe-of-the-Nine, 24 April 2008 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image
-No Victory without Sacrifice-

Did you know that approximately 87.32648% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

#20 Thorin

Thorin
  • Project Team
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

BFME1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users